Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,016,465 times

Advertisements

It's the perfect size, has the best nightlife in the country, great weather year round (in the warmer months I just do outdoor water sports). I can walk or ride my bike everywhere I need to go.

Only complaints: waaaay too many pretentious ultra-hipster types, and people are overly concerned with outward appearance (average dress size is probably 2).

Last edited by Bo; 01-04-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,901,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
It's the perfect size, has the best nightlife in the country, great weather year round (in the warmer months I just do outdoor water sports). I can walk or ride my bike everywhere I need to go.

Only complaints: waaaay too many pretentious ultra-hipster types, and people are overly concerned with outward appearance (average dress size is probably 2).
I think I'd have to challenge that statement.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's not everyone's cup of tea. As far as density/number of music venues (I can see world-class musicians **every night of the year*** all within walking distance) it is the best. Also the people are just wonderful, so much better in terms of being nice/more attractive than other cities I've been to - that's a huge plus.

NYC is more of a clubbing scene. If you're into that, it is better. L.A. and Chicago don't even compete....L.A. has WeHo which is aight.

For me, it's perfect because I love music/artsy type stuff more than straight clubbing (although austin has more than enough of that).

Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,224,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I second that. Considering that SA has only 1.9 million in metro while NYC has 18.8 million, LA 12.9, and CHI 9.5; I just don't see how SA can even be compared.

But, hey if that's what you love, that's just groovy with me.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I second that. Considering that SA has only 1.9 million in metro while NYC has 18.8 million, LA 12.9, and CHI 9.5; I just don't see how SA can even be compared.

But, hey if that's what you love, that's just groovy with me.
Bigger does not always mean better. That's the mcdonalds/wal-mart american mentality, don't buy into it! We avoid a lot of problems like crime (we're the safest big city), pollution (greenest city), etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,742,091 times
Austin has the best nightlife in the country? Uhhhh, are you trying to make us laugh ourselves to death?

Yes, Austin is a decent city and all but cmon, its a pimple on the a$$ of places like NYC...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Austin has the best nightlife in the country? Uhhhh, are you trying to make us laugh ourselves to death?

Yes, Austin is a decent city and all but cmon, its a pimple on the a$$ of places like NYC...
Ah...the brilliant Steve-O, that ever-present Chicago troll!

So tell me...how did you like your last visit to Austin? Which clubs did you go to, and who did you see?

At least you had the wisdom to go straight to NY and not even try to troll for Chicago on this on, because Chicago nightlife is <<<<<<< Austin in every respect.

As I said before - if you base it on clubbing, NY is better. But in terms of music/artsy stuff **which I prefer** Austin is the best, period. Even the east village doesn't compete for music.

In terms of environment, beauty of people, outdoors stuff, weather, pollution, NYC doesn't even compare.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,742,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Ah...the brilliant Steve-O, that ever-present Chicago troll!

So tell me...how did you like your last visit to Austin? Which clubs did you go to, and who did you see?

At least you had the wisdom to go straight to NY and not even try to troll for Chicago on this on, because Chicago nightlife is <<<<<<< Austin in every respect.

As I said before - if you base it on clubbing, NY is better. But in terms of music/artsy stuff **which I prefer** Austin is the best, period. Even the east village doesn't compete for music.

In terms of environment, beauty of people, outdoors stuff, weather, pollution, NYC doesn't even compare.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up there for a minute. This is a public thread, I responded with my opinion. How is that being a "troll"? You dont agree with me therefore Im a "troll", eh? As I said, Austin was cool, and has great nightlife, especially along 6th St. I even hiked that big, rock outside of town, which was also pretty cool. Oh, went to that overlook above Lake Travis as well. Anyways, Ill say it again: Austin has great nightlife, but "the best in the country"??? Who are you trying to kid?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up there for a minute. This is a public thread, I responded with my opinion. How is that being a "troll"? You dont agree with me therefore Im a "troll", eh? As I said, Austin was cool, and has great nightlife, especially along 6th St. I even hiked that big, rock outside of town, which was also pretty cool. Oh, went to that overlook above Lake Travis as well. Anyways, Ill say it again: Austin has great nightlife, but "the best in the country"??? Who are you trying to kid?
Dood, it's all personal opinion. Obviously a lot of city rankings agree with me, so it's a plausible argument. If I argued that some random city like detroit or minneapolis had best nightlife, you'd have a point.

Not everyone wants to live in an overcrowded,crime-ridden, cold northern city dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin