Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,310 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I currently reside in So.Cal but my wife and I are looking to move to Austin area. I've been offered a job at Dell(sales position) and will be visiting there soon but is Round Rock pretty nice place live or should we look for other part of Austin?
And can anyone tell me what's like to work for Dell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 124,484 times
Glad to hear you are moving to the area. As to Round Rock, it is a great place to live. You will get the same great houses as in many areas of Austin for a little bit less. It is easy to get around and has lots to do (restaurants and shopping). I have not lived there but we considered buying a house. My aunt had lived there for several years. Round Rock has had a lot of growth in the last decade and even though it is slowing a bit the growth is still visible. If you are looking into getting into an area that is booming check out Kyle, 20 minutes south of the river (downtown) and aprox 10 miles south of Austin. In addition to the great shopping and local attractions in Round Rock, Texas State University is expanding and placing (what will be) a large campus.

As to Dell, my husband worked for Dell and I have had many, many friends who have worked there. Even though my husband enjoyed his work (sales) and the corprate environment he found Dell a bit stressful. Dell is all about the numbers and making your matrix (quota). If Dell does not do well in a quarter or you can not consistently make your matrix you can expect to loose your job so be sure to have a back up plan. There are many who have worked for Dell for years, there are also many who work just a few months.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 49,116 times
Default Stay put!

I'm trying to get back to So Cal yes we are congested , over priced and highest gas prices. But I just moved to SC and let me tell you I'm sorry I did I'm stuck here and like the other post said I got canned. I have to move again in the next four months. It's tough to keep moving I moved several times in SoCal but only within my area. But his move was 2500 miles... You think you can't cope until you lose all even the familiar. Just don't want you to give up a secure job for unknown. I wish I had my old job back it's too late I have to start over sucks...

Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Default Live in Round Rock

Please do not consider Kyle if you'll be working at Dell!!! Your commute will be awful.

And don't worry about being stuck in Hee Haw Hell. Austin is by far the coolest, most tolerant place I have ever lived. I moved here from Florida and you couldn't pay me to go back there! Can't speak for Round Rock but it will be worth it for you to live somewhere close to work. Getting around during non-rush hour is easy.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-23-2006 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM

30 posts, read 137,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Please do not consider Kyle if you'll be working at Dell!!! Your commute will be awful.

And don't worry about being stuck in Hee Haw Hell. Austin is by far the coolest, most tolerant place I have ever lived. I moved here from Florida and you couldn't pay me to go back there! Can't speak for Round Rock but it will be worth it for you to live somewhere close to work. Getting around during non-rush hour is easy.
Austin Traveler,

What do you know about Kyle? Is it a good area? Good schools? I have read a lot of posts about it expanding. Can you explain that a little more? I remember it being kind of small? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Sorry, I don't really know much about Kyle at all. I just suggested to the other poster to not commute from there to Round Rock cause that's way too far to drive every day.

All I can tell you about Kyle is that it's south of Austin along I-35. I-35 is a horrible road that always backs up for no apparent reason, especially close to downtown. I stay off it whenever possible. Also, Kyle is home to a prison.

Sorry I can't help.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM

122 posts, read 180,248 times
I vote if your going to work at Dell to look for something in north Austin our RR. I myself couldn't place a family in kyle knowing that their commute would be 2 hours to dells facilities in RR.

Kyle is a nice small community with very reasonably priced homes. Its great for people looking for a newer home that work in Austin but if your looking to work at Dell then its not the place for you.

Flip Austin around and your going to find that George Town is going to be the closed to what kyle is today. Also i would rather live in George Town than kyle any day.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 28,692 times
Default RR is a great city

We have lived in Round Rock for 2 years now and we love it. We have neighbors that work at Dell and the commute is nothing. [moderator cut - advertising] Good Luck on your move.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
We live in Round Rock, and my husband works at Dell. We are, apparently, on the "east side" of Round Rock - though I have talked to several locals here about the discussion of east vs. west, and have been told that it's hogwash - and maybe the asssumption that west was better simply because it was newer...

Anyway, I digress... Round Rock is nice, except when you are trying to go out to eat on a Friday night. EVERY PLACE is a 40 minute wait... which is ridiculous when you realize how many restaurants are here...

Dell is ok. My husband came from "the largest software company", and the environments are polar opposites... expect culture shock.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 PM

34 posts, read 271,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy714 View Post
And can anyone tell me what's like to work for Dell?
As large as DELL is, do they have a website which lists current job openings? I cannot seem to find anything on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin