Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,871 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've searched the forums for a similar question and haven't found it so here it goes.

I'm looking at a really nice house in Forest Oaks but of course there's a catch, it's no more than 1 block away from 183A.

Price is in the 250k range but the proximity to the toll road + what's on the other side of it within walking distance (trailer houses and the like) make me second guess whether this is a good option on not

Any advice? anyone living around there?

Thanks!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,477,844 times
Sit in the back yard and see if you can tolerate the traffic noise. I wouldn't worry about the trailers. They probably won't be there for long.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 PM

68 posts, read 207,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Sit in the back yard and see if you can tolerate the traffic noise. I wouldn't worry about the trailers. They probably won't be there for long.
Good idea. Make sure it is during high volume times.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,948,052 times
In this market, I'd think twice... it's not like there is any lack of homes available in RR in that price range. There are tons. If you like the neighborhood, try to move deeper in/farther away from 183A. If you just like the house, find a similar floorplan in the area.

Besides the noise, chances are the trailer houses and other undeveloped land off the highway may become retail. And not the good stuff, like a mom & pop restaurant or corner store. More likely it will be strip mall or big box... and there is always the slight chance it could be something like an NTB or brake shop or something.

Resale will be a problem, because everyone will have the same concerns you have.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 149,540 times
We just moved to Forest Oaks. As previously suggested, hang out at the house during rush hour and listen. The noise varies greatly within the neighborhood because of the hills. We're on the downslope of a large hill away from 183A and don't hear a thing. 6 houses away at the top of the hill, it's quite loud.

It is a great place to live. Everything is 5 minutes away (except downtown!)

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,631,652 times
If you drive down to the McNeil-Spicewood Springs exit, there are a few homes available for $250K-$300K that have awesome resale and no similar worries. We're in a newer neighborhood with larger homes, so the price is much higher, but should help your home valuation.

You're also very close to everything and these are much more mature neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin