Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 PM

134 posts, read 385,489 times

Advertisements

Ok so I have been researching Austin now for about 2 years roughly. What keeps bringing me back to it is it's consistantly high scores on best cities when compared to other cities on ALL fronts. Things like nightlife, cost of living, jobs and job growth, low crime ect. It just seems to rank in the top 10 in all categories while most other cities have strengths and minuses Austin seems to rank consistantly high in every single thinkable category outside of the weather and the traffic.

Those that live here though seem to either blindly promote it on this website, or they seem to say it's way overhyped. There are people on here who have been to OTHER cities outside of Texas (i realize its everyones current favorite city in Texas if your a Texas native) who claim that the only reason to come here is low housing costs and cost of living compared to other cities. They say it's way overhyped, that the nightlife is actually very contained and limited to a couple of streets, that there is no more community involvement with things like festivals and atmosphere than anywhere else -- and that basically this city is no more special than any other city with the added burden of dirty water, traffic that is too ridiculas for a city of that size, high parking costs to go anywhere, and weather that will own your soul.

So why then -- does this city consistantly always make top 10's in everything from the food to the people to the entertainment, to the culture to the nightlife to the music ect?? If its no more special than anywhere else? Is there some kind of business deal going on with the media or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM

746 posts, read 3,728,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
Ok so I have been researching Austin now for about 2 years roughly. What keeps bringing me back to it is it's consistantly high scores on best cities when compared to other cities on ALL fronts. Things like nightlife, cost of living, jobs and job growth, low crime ect. It just seems to rank in the top 10 in all categories while most other cities have strengths and minuses Austin seems to rank consistantly high in every single thinkable category outside of the weather and the traffic.

Those that live here though seem to either blindly promote it on this website, or they seem to say it's way overhyped. There are people on here who have been to OTHER cities outside of Texas (i realize its everyones current favorite city in Texas if your a Texas native) who claim that the only reason to come here is low housing costs and cost of living compared to other cities. They say it's way overhyped, that the nightlife is actually very contained and limited to a couple of streets, that there is no more community involvement with things like festivals and atmosphere than anywhere else -- and that basically this city is no more special than any other city with the added burden of dirty water, traffic that is too ridiculas for a city of that size, high parking costs to go anywhere, and weather that will own your soul.

So why then -- does this city consistantly always make top 10's in everything from the food to the people to the entertainment, to the culture to the nightlife to the music ect?? If its no more special than anywhere else? Is there some kind of business deal going on with the media or something?
Yes, it means that Austin is the best city in the USA. It has no problems you usually find with major cities....no crime, traffic-free streets, jobs that pay great, people friendly everywhere, fun things to do 24/7........kidding.....the business going on with the media is that top 10 lists are a marketing gimmick....I'm sure you know that we live in a branded, hyped society..and we hype our cities as well...no, it doesn't mean the city doesn't live up to a nice place, but it surely doesn't live up to perfection, or those lists......Austin actually has a higher crime rate than average, and some areas, in fact many, some even west of I-35, are very bad....the traffic is very dangerous in many areas, and absolutely impossible in most for bikes to navigate, let alone pedestrians....many new areas don't even have sidewalks to walk on.....lots of the music sounds the same, and is in a really small area of the city DT...most of the area is butt-ugly big-box sprawl......

That being said, it is a great place, if you realize that those things are true, and you take Austin for what its worth..just a fun, mid-sized college focused city.....

And yes, the business going on is that those top 10 lists are marketing gimmicks....I myself can submit a top 10 list, and prob get more hits for my website/magazine by doing that, than anything I could possibly do..
It simply sells mags and creates web hits..

Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,352,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post

And yes, the business going on is that those top 10 lists are marketing gimmicks....I myself can submit a top 10 list, and prob get more hits for my website/magazine by doing that, than anything I could possibly do..
It simply sells mags and creates web hits..
Who puts this list out? If it's a marketing gimmick meant to hype up Austin, it sounds like it's an Austin publication then. I see Top 10 lists on Forbes all the time and if my memory serves me correct, Austin was listed for Young Professionals and something else, which I unfortunately don't recall. Why would Forbes, or any 3rd party publication, hype up Austin for no reason?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Who puts this list out? If it's a marketing gimmick meant to hype up Austin, it sounds like it's an Austin publication then. I see Top 10 lists on Forbes all the time and if my memory serves me correct, Austin was listed for Young Professionals and something else, which I unfortunately don't recall. Why would Forbes, or any 3rd party publication, hype up Austin for no reason?
That's what I don't get. I mean there are several articles consistantly over the years that talk up Austin. It's not just Forbes, I've seen several others. In every one that I see Austin always seems to be near the top and the most balanced with rankings for individual categories. I don't know if the hype has just caught on such that these writers just make it a sexy pick and randomly come up with numbers or what they judge these things on, but if you listen to Scongress1234 or some of the others on here you would think it to be a huge conspiracy.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Mayby Austin really does deserve it. I've been to a lot of cities and I can believe it.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM

147 posts, read 695,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
Maybe because so many folks across the nation are leading meaningless empty lives.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,052 times
It may be what you said: its the sexy choice so put it on your list. Or it could be some hidden agenda like those People's Sexiest Man/Woman lists. Those at the top almost always have a movie coming out. One thing I've noticed about the Top Cities lists is they usually "spread the love" geographically.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 PM

957 posts, read 3,352,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
It may be what you said: its the sexy choice so put it on your list. Or it could be some hidden agenda like those People's Sexiest Man/Woman lists. Those at the top almost always have a movie coming out. One thing I've noticed about the Top Cities lists is they usually "spread the love" geographically.
They do spread the love. I've noticed that alot. I think they may just chime in on up-and-coming cities and their strengths. While I realize Austin, along with most cities, have plenty of faults, I just don't think that means what is mentioned in those lists is entirely fabricated.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
Maybe because so many folks across the nation are leading meaningless empty lives.
But what does that have to do with anything though?? What does Austin as a pick have to do with THAT?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Texastea, I think you may be on to something. It made me think. Spreading the love geographically would make complete marketing sense for magazines, which depend on size of circulation to sell advertising.

The question of "why is it always Austin on the list?" then becomes: if the criteria are simply low unemployment, good economy/housing market and housing affordability, every major city in Texas would qualify. But you throw in any lifestyle criteria such as fitness, per capita education, crime, or outdoor activities... and Austin bubbles up to the top instantly. That makes sense only for region, though -- and by region, I'm mostly talking Texas, but it could also include the ArkLaTex & Oklahoma.

So... I don't suspect it's the local chamber of commerce secretly bribing the publishers, but it very well might be about magazine circulation and spreading the love geographically... however, where there is smoke there is fire, and as far as the region is concerned a typical "best place to live" criteria set would have Austin at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin