Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 33,367 times

Advertisements

Okay, guess I've learned my lesson on the religion thing. Jennibc was correct on why I put it out there.

I just don't want my child to be the outcast in school and other activities because her family doesn't go to church. It's a real thing to be worried about where we live now.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Wow, she just mentioned religion in a list of other stuff (schools, pricing, culture, neighborhoods, etc...). How come everyone is jumping on that one thing?

Weird.
I think people are jumping all over it because the second poster basically told her because she brought it up she should move to CA or the East Coast, which is kind of silly IMO. Anyway, that's why I commented on it. Otherwise, it would have been relegated to the same status as low cost of living, friendly people, etc.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
Quote:
child to be the outcast in school and other activities because her family doesn't go to church
I can truly say that growing up in a small town outside Austin, I rarely knew where (or if) my friends went to church (or whatever), nor did I care. Living in Austin now, I guess I know a few of our friends 'preferences', but I would never bother to ask outright, it just occasionally is mentioned. I can't imagine that it is too big a deal in school for the kids...the schools are just too varied for that to happen on any widespread basis.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM

17 posts, read 91,252 times
We are moving from Virginia Beach to Austin. We love Leander, TX. Coming from an area with high real estate costs, we couldn't ask for a better area. We are building our second home in Leander. 4bdrm, 2.5 bath, 2350 sq feet. for less than 200K. As for the schools, my husband and I are both teachers, and we would not be moving to Leander if we didn't like the schools even a little bit. We don't have children yet, but we did keep schools in mind not only for us, but our family in the future.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,070,649 times
We are atheists, in the suburbs with kids. For us, as adults, it's not been an issue - no one has even asked us really, if/where we go to church. Search the term "atheist" or agnostic on this forum - it's been discussed at length, and I've given my experience here. My oldest child though, when the discussion about god (I think it came up in class in relation to Thanksgiving/pilgrims/why they came over, etc) kids were mouth opened shocked when he said he didn't believe in god. He had one other classmate who said she also didn't believe. No one treated him differently after the initial shock, and life lesson learned about speaking up for yourself and what you do or don't believe in, he made it through it just fine.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,947 times
Once you're away from S. congress, the UT area, and other pockets, it turns into Texas very fast. You'll have many religious coworkers and run into believers all the time. If that's a major issue for you, I wouldn't come here.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM

That's not been anything close to what we have experienced.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
Yeah, you will run into believers...and they will be perfectly nice to you .

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
Likewise. I've lived all over Austin and the Austin area in the last 40 years, currently live in a tiny town some 50 miles from Austin, work in Georgetown, and haven't, and don't run into what you describe, ATXIronHorse.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - there are some people who must have "bug me about religion" or "ask me where I go to church" tattooed on their foreheads or that send out some sort of vibe that says that.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - there are some people who must have "bug me about religion" or "ask me where I go to church" tattooed on their foreheads or that send out some sort of vibe that says that.
That's just it - I don't wear a "I'm atheist, got a problem with that???" shirt on - so while we haven't had any problems or felt uncomfortable, I don't try and seek that out either. I certainly don't hide my beliefs if asked, or in a discussion - but I do also try and be respectful to people who choose to believe. I teach my kids that people have the right to believe or not, what they want ... and that's whats so great about living where we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin