Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:05 AM

7,491 posts, read 5,014,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Not sure why anyone would fear going to San Antonio unless they plan on doing something they shouldn't.
I have a friend who lives in San Antonio and he has so many stories about ammo and cool new guns. That's the only reason I can think to be wary of San Antonio. It seems to be a place where vigilante activity can happen fast. I've never been to San Antonio but, from knowing people who live there, it seems like everyone has guns and ammo, every neighbourhood is equipped, seems better to be civil. That might be why San Antonio seems more dangerous than Austin and other Texas tourism destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 05:57 AM

15,316 posts, read 35,846,219 times
That just sounds like you have a gun obsessed friend.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:26 AM

9,858 posts, read 13,813,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have a friend who lives in San Antonio and he has so many stories about ammo and cool new guns. That's the only reason I can think to be wary of San Antonio. It seems to be a place where vigilante activity can happen fast. I've never been to San Antonio but, from knowing people who live there, it seems like everyone has guns and ammo, every neighbourhood is equipped, seems better to be civil. That might be why San Antonio seems more dangerous than Austin and other Texas tourism destinations.
I grew up in San Antonio. I didn't know a single person with a gun in their home. Even today the number is very small of the number of people in the city that I know who have guns.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:56 AM

181 posts, read 162,154 times
@Lieneke - It's Texas, I'd venture to say that at least 50% of the population has a gun in their household. Even the people you don't expect. The good ol' boys in the field always get surprised when I tell them about the guns I own because they just consider me a ”bean counter” or corporate type and don't ”look” the part. My physician buddy who lives in an upscale neighborhood in central Houston has an armament in house. My good friend from California, an sjw type who moved here about 7 years ago, and is one of the most liberal guys I personally know, bought his first gun last year. This is someone who initially had some hesitancy to be anywhere near guns when I first met him. Frankly, I'm surprised because they were very restrictive about guns near their kids, and now they have one in the house. Anyway, at least half the people I know in Austin of varying backgrounds, socioeconomic status, political leaning, and ethnicity, own guns.

Just giving you some perspective here.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

12,001 posts, read 8,256,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
TBH I’d be very surprised if there were a significant difference in gun ownership rates between Austin and San Antonio metros.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM

9,858 posts, read 13,813,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH I’d be very surprised if there were a significant difference in gun ownership rates between Austin and San Antonio metros.
I didn't grow up around the military culture in SA, but given the military background I'd say there's probably a good bit more guns. Not like wild west amounts, but good hard core military folks with weapons.

I know that contradicts what I said above, about not knowing a lot of people with guns. However, like I said, I did not grow up in the military culture. It wasn't honestly until I graduated from undergrad when I was out of my bubble that I recognized the military presence. Again, I'll add, with it being "Military city USA" I bet there are more guns than there are in Austin.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 05-18-2021 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 AM

624 posts, read 912,277 times
I certainly won't dispute won't you wrote but my Dad was in the military 27 years and never owned a gun. But he wasn't from TX either if that makes a difference.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:35 AM

Texas is about the middle of the pack when it comes to guns/capita - last I saw we were No 22 among states.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:40 AM

12,001 posts, read 8,256,986 times
I can't find any statistics on a municipality level (which I find kind of shocking - it seems only to go down to a state level) but I think some people underestimate how many of the political left-wing are enticed with guns and gun rights. I'm not labeling anyone's political party as better / worse than another but I personally found it to be fairly shocking initially. I can understand the stigma of a Military town where gun ownership seem to stand out more 'in your face', but I also believe there are more people in Austin with guns than one might initially imagine. My neighbors in Austin proper all had guns. I also know several techies making 6 figures many people would consider posh and cultured on first glance who also have guns.

I personally do 'not' own a gun although there are times where I briefly consider it. For me personally the responsibilities and liabilities negate the benefits of gun ownership.. ..but thats me. While I would agree that military culture would probably be more likely to obtain a gun, I think the ease of access as well as fairly laxed property protection laws in TX make gun ownership more enticing for the average person as well.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-19-2021 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 10:57 AM

I have two guns - a WWI German Mauser (Gewehr 98, for anyone that cares) that came back with my grandfather from WWI. It might have had some collector value if it wasn't so heavily updated (sport stock replacing the original stock and a very nice scope added). Up until the mid-2000s, my dad used it once a year and fired it twice, resulting in two deer to be processed for the freezer.

The other gun is a 12-gauge shotgun that used to be used for geese hunting back in the 70s and then did duty as a 'snake eradicator' while out in the fields.

I currently don't have ammo for either and haven't since I had kids. I don't know how easy it would be to get the 8 mm ammo for the Mauser anymore, but I am sure I could get it.

As far as political affiliation, I would have to say I lean more Libertarian-ish, although my gun ownership comes more from growing up rural than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin