Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM

13 posts, read 39,363 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We're researching refrigerators and washer/dryers to buy for our first house in May. We'd like to get stainless for the fridge and wondered if anyone had experience with the "stainless-look" color. We have true stainless in our apartment now and while I love the finish, it does smudge easily and magnets don't stick to it. Does the stainless-look look good? Does it resist the fingerprints and smudges better?

Also, as long as I'm asking, anyone have a fridge or washer/dryer they love (or hate)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM

31 posts, read 117,345 times
A couple of years ago we purchased a very nice upscale, stainless colored side-by-side fridge from Sears. Actually they do call it stainless with a satina(sp) finish. The top, sides, and long verticle handles are black. Adjacent to our true stainless double wall ovens (a different brand), its a shade darker but you probably won't really notice unless you were looking for it. I saw an inexpensive stainless colored dishwasher at Lowes recently and it appeared like it was just silver-gray paint! Very cheap looking. As for our fridge, yes it does resist fingerprints fairly well and magnets work as normal. Of course nothing can truly resist a toddler's sticky finger print!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
YvZ

52 posts, read 249,553 times
We love our stainless-look fridge. It doesn't seem to show much finger marks and cleans without streaking.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,287,899 times
We have a titanium finish refrigerator (LG brand) and I have to say I like it a lot better than my old stainless one. It never shows fingerprints because it is more of a brushed finish. It coordinates just fine with my stainless dishwasher and double oven, too.

However, I hate, hate, hate my LG front loader washer and dryer. I will never buy a front loader again - tons of problems, water collects in the gasket area and creates a mildewy smell, dryer has had issues - they really don't hold that much more than a large top loader, either. When I called LG about the water retention they told me I should be cleaning my gasket area once a week, disconnecting the hose line at the bottom once a month and cleaning that out, always leaving my washer door open (we have a super tiny laundry room and can't really do so) - I thought, a washer should be SAVING me time, not creating more cleaning work. I really hope the units both completely break soon so I can go back to the old fashioned ones!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,081,823 times
I just let the door stay open for awhile - just till it airs out and is dry... no smell, no problem!!

I love my LG's... love, love, love them!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,582,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
should be cleaning my gasket area once a week, disconnecting the hose line at the bottom once a month and cleaning that out, always leaving my washer door open (we have a super tiny laundry room and can't really do so) - I thought, a washer should be SAVING me time, not creating more cleaning work. I really hope the units both completely break soon so I can go back to the old fashioned ones!
I have seen this tall blond guy walking around by your house, isn't that a job for him ?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,582,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I just let the door stay open for awhile - just till it airs out and is dry... no smell, no problem!!

I love my LG's... love, love, love them!!!
That has been our solution to GIGI's problem also!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 AM

796 posts, read 3,054,042 times
I have the LG front load Tromm SteamWasher, and LG SteamDryer. I have them stacked and I love them. I don't have any mildew smells, but I do always leave the door slightly open. I can wash my king size comforter with no problems.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,287,899 times
You'd all have to see my laundry room to realize it creates a major ingress and egress problem to leave the laundry room door open. It helps, but it is not ideal. I still hate my washer and dryer no matter what.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,599,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
You'd all have to see my laundry room to realize it creates a major ingress and egress problem to leave the laundry room door open. It helps, but it is not ideal. I still hate my washer and dryer no matter what.
I never thought of naming two pets 'ingress' and 'egress' but that's pretty cute!

Brings up another of my disappointments with many of the newer homes we've viewed...most laundry rooms are nothing more than closets with a washer and dryer. Sure wouldn't hurt to have a little more space to hang those expensive tennis outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin