Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,981 times

Advertisements

Hi, All!

Another transplant looking for feedback on a home buying decision. I am relocating from Chicago and spent all weekend looking at houses in Austin. Due to my work location on Southwest parkway, we focused on West and Southwest Austin.

We were fortunate to find two homes that we love. One is in the Senna Hills neighborhood - beautiful home with beautiful views in Eanes ISD (which isn't a requirement for us), but with a sloping backyard and the other is in what I think is the West Oak Hills neighborhood (Shadowridge Crossing) - beautiful home with a huge flat backyard plus a pool. What I love most about the Senna Hills home are the beautiful views of the hills and what I love most about the Shadowridge home is the large, more versatile backyard and pool.

One thing that I don't have a good grasp on is the community feel/vibe of each neighborhood. If you live (or have lived) in either neighborhood - can you share your experience?

We're lucky to have found two home options that we love, but are so torn on what to choose! Any insight is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Is the house in Shadow Ridge off of Rotan or Hot Springs? Not sure if I am thinking of the right name for that community or not. In any case, that loop defined by those two roads is probably my favorite area in all of SW Austin. I have not lived there, but a couple of my kids friends live there and their families are great people.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,981 times
yes! It's on Hot Springs. We loved that house and we like that it's a small neighborhood. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrumbiest View Post
yes! It's on Hot Springs. We loved that house and we like that it's a small neighborhood. Thanks for your input!
From our friends that live out there, we heard the story about that 'loop':

Apparently, when it was originally platted for construction, the CoA could not provide adequate water pressure and limited the number of water hook-ups to 50 (I think there are 48 houses in the section). The developer did not want to wait for some unknown fix, so they expanded the lot sizes and only built those 50 houses or so. Not long after, the water line was upgraded, so no water issues at all.

The houses on that loop sold via word of mouth for years (or so I am told) so that they values did not show up on the MLS and the CoA taxed them at using the same basis for the larger area. I think that 'secret society' has since failed and the tax rates reflect the true values for the homes now, but for years they were taxed much lower than market value. I think many of the homes out there are still original owners.

There is a TON of green space around (and in) that neighborhood. Most of the garages are 'old school' (side facing) instead of 'front-loaders' that face the street. I don't know what you other options are, but we really did consider trying to buy into that area once or twice, but it ain't cheap (nor are the taxes ).

Edit: Is it 6709? The 'estimated taxes' are likely off by many thousands - it includes a HSE cap reducing the taxable value by $150k, and they are asking well over the currently appraised value. The HS value will reset on the sale, but maybe they won't catch wind of the sale price .

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-22-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: