Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,894 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move into the eanes school district. Currently looking at barton creek west. But would consider anything in eanes if it was 650k or under. Any feedback on neighborhoods?
Also in my research it seems like barton creek west has a private water corp. and senna hills has a MUD. What is the difference? I have never been on anything but city of Austin water in the past so I would love more details on what a private water corp and a MUD are. Last....does anyone know why barton creek west has a sewage treatment facility in the neighborhood? Is this a disadvantage to the neighborhood (FYI...I see lost creek has one too).
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,161,740 times
Definitely look at Lost Creek!

Are you finding much in that price range in Barton Creek West?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 PM

From what I am seeing lost creek is priced higher than barton creek west and senna hills. Yes, 550-650k seems to be the average listing price in barton creek west. We are keeping lost creek on the radar because of the location but would have a hard time getting in for our price range + the houses are older and need more work. Why do you prefer lost creek? Also....any knowledge on the water situations?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,161,740 times
Wow, that surprises me! For me, Lost Creek is a better location and it had a much more laid back vibe. I don't know anything about the water situation. Sorry.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM

49 posts, read 101,458 times
I believe Senna Hills is on community propane, so expect high heating bills in the winter.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,940,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
From what I am seeing lost creek is priced higher than barton creek west and senna hills. Yes, 550-650k seems to be the average listing price in barton creek west. We are keeping lost creek on the radar because of the location but would have a hard time getting in for our price range + the houses are older and need more work. Why do you prefer lost creek? Also....any knowledge on the water situations?
What is your question on the water situations? The short answer is: it doesn't affect the homeowners in any significant way. Water and wastewater to the consumer works just like it does in any city. No septic to worry about, no concern about wells, it's all on a public system and you just need to worry about your home's plumbing. The water and sewer rates are similar to the city, perhaps slightly lower or higher, but basically the same. Community propane or a non-Austin Energy electric utility would have a much bigger effect on a typical homeowner.

However, if you want specifics...

A MUD is a government entity created to build and maintain the water/sewer infrastructure and other things such as enforcing deed restrictions, maintaining parks/amenities, and trash service. I live in Lost Creek, and that's what we have. MUDs exist for subdivisions that are originally built in the city ETJ (but not within the city limits) and beyond the reach of city infrastructure, so they are created to provide the utility services that the city or county can't (or won't) do. In LC, we are going to be annexed by the city of Austin at the end of 2015, but the water utility part will be taken over by the city of Austin earlier. As for the water itself, the MUD in Lost Creek uses water from the city of Austin anyway. The MUD buys the water from the city, and sell it to the residents. The markup is minimal, and even subsidized sometimes (with rates that are lower than the city), because they are locally-run non profit government entities. They are funded by property taxes and any profit they make off the water service. Some MUDs rely more on their utility revenues, while others rely mostly on property taxes. When a MUD is new, they issue bonds to build the infrastructure then pay off the debt with property taxes or water revenue... older MUDs, like Lost Creek, already have paid off the infrastructure and hence have a lower property tax rate. Newer ones, like maybe Senna Hills, might still be paying off debt and could have a higher tax rate. Other amenities the MUDs operate, such as pools, can also cause their tax rates to be higher.

You asked about the wastewater treatment plants. These are part of the sewer and drainage systems of the MUDs. In Lost Creek, the treated wastewater is used for irrigation for the golf course. The wastewater plant is located in the lowest area of the subdivision, so that gravity does most of the work. I'm sure Barton Creek West is similar. So they are kind of a "green" system. Nothing goes to waste. It's a concern if you purchase a home right next to the plant, I suppose, but otherwise it isn't a factor -- it's no different than the way the city works. The city operates similar wastewater plants all over.

From what I have heard, in LC anyway, the city doesn't plan to keep the wastewater plant forever. Because it's right on the banks of Barton Creek, it's not a candidate for improvements due to the environmental sensitivity. They will retire it eventually and pump the wastewater somewhere else to be processed.

I don't know the specifics of the private water company providing water/wastewater to BC West, but I'd have to imagine it is functionally the same as the MUD -- buys water from the city and re-sells it, and processes the drainage/sewer itself. I'm thinking it will eventually also be taken over by the city of Austin, as it expands it's water infrastructure west.

But again, the specifics usually aren't a big concern to the homeowners, other than maybe tax rate and water rate. The service itself will be just as good or maybe better than the city water utility would provide.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,304,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Community propane or a non-Austin Energy electric utility would have a much bigger effect on a typical homeowner.
Small oversight - one could have Pedernales Electric and have lower rates for the typical suburban house than with Austin Energy. I think you are referring to for-profit utilities.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:06 AM

Atxcio- this is very informative! Thank you for the response. That is also good to know about the community propane in Senna Hills.....I definitely want to avoid a situation like that.

When you say that the LC MUD buys the water from the city of Austin....how does this work? Are all the pipes tied in to the city and they just pay on usage?

Also, are there ever issues with these waste water treatment pants in the neighborhoods? I have lived in Austin for 36 yrs and have never heard of any, but then again I have never lived where the waste water wasn't handled by the city.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM

550 posts, read 519,589 times
Senna Hills is way more expensive than Barton Creek

Eanes school district is great though

Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,940,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
When you say that the LC MUD buys the water from the city of Austin....how does this work? Are all the pipes tied in to the city and they just pay on usage?

Also, are there ever issues with these waste water treatment pants in the neighborhoods? I have lived in Austin for 36 yrs and have never heard of any, but then again I have never lived where the waste water wasn't handled by the city.
Yes, the city water is piped in and the MUD pays wholesale for how much it uses total. The MUD owns and reads the meters at each individual home or office building within the district, and then bills the customers at their rate.

I'm not aware of issues with water treatment plants, I'm sure they can happen but like you I don't recall hearing of any. Seems like most of what I hear (in Austin in general, not LC specifically) are pipe breaks requiring a boil water notice, or a sewer line break or overflow when it runs into a creek (like the big one in Brushy Creek a while back).

Again, though, MUDs are incredibly common around the city and shouldn't be of any concern. It's kind of like an extension of the city water structure where the pipes are owned by another entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin