Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes I have. I purposely scheduled later flights (landing 7pm) for that reason.
Well. I’d rather have that couple hours with my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Well. I’d rather have that couple hours with my kids.
Usually I'm so exhausted I just want to rest. Coming in late I can have dinner and then relax.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 AM

27 posts, read 21,602 times
Thank you @blakely. Question: My middle son is an enrolled 2nd semester freshman at University of Cincinnati in their Engineering Computer Science program and may consider transferring in the spring of his sophomore year to UT Austin. GPA is a solid 3.8 and he's hitting all the req math classes for his major. What's the feeling on transfers into UT as a 2nd semester sophomore or even start of his Junior year? If he wants to transfer to CS at UT (doesn't look like it's part of the school of Engineering) is that something that we should expect to be a challenge?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM

103 posts, read 113,323 times
I really don't recommend transferring into UT from out of state. The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is ridiculous.

Edit: even your current HS student might not qualify for resident status by the time she's ready to graduate

Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
The admission rate for out-of-state transfer students overall is 27% but out of state students make up just 5% of total transfer students, the bulk of transfer students are TX HS graduates who are auto-transfering after getting a specific GPA at another campus of UT.

A dependant student whose parents are moving to Texas *might* qualify for in-state rates but I'd investigate that carefully, in general, TX is quite strict with residency requirements.

Transferring to UT Austin will not be slam dunk but it isn't outside the realm of possibility either. CS is quite competitive though and there is already a transfer agreement in place for TX HS grads to start at UTSA. Not sure how many transfers the department takes outside that program.

It sounds like your son might end in MIS at UT rather than CS, you can see the differences here:
https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/...er-science-mis

Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyguy63 View Post
Thank you @blakely. Question: My middle son is an enrolled 2nd semester freshman at University of Cincinnati in their Engineering Computer Science program and may consider transferring in the spring of his sophomore year to UT Austin. GPA is a solid 3.8 and he's hitting all the req math classes for his major. What's the feeling on transfers into UT as a 2nd semester sophomore or even start of his Junior year? If he wants to transfer to CS at UT (doesn't look like it's part of the school of Engineering) is that something that we should expect to be a challenge?
I'm not as familiar with out-of-state transfers as much as in-state transfers, but I've seen a bunch of kids successfully transfer to UT after doing well freshman year elsewhere. Part of the issue with the top 6%/ top 7% admission rule is that it doesn't adjust for rigor of high school. Some kids who come from weaker schools find UT difficult, so they either decide to leave or transfer out of their major, creating spots for transfers. (This is a very simplified explanation, but just trying to explain why spots for transfers at UT open up more than some other schools.)

Sounds like your middle son is a strong student and would be well qualified. The tricky part is that he not only needs to be accepted to UT, but into the CS major, which is one of the more sought-after majors. A friend's son just transferred (as a junior)----really smart kid---he was accepted as a transfer to UT but needs to wait for room in the CS dept to open up. So as of this point, he's not in his desired major, but he feels confident he can be by next fall. It's a bit of a gamble coming in that way, because there's no guarantee a spot in the CS dept will open up.

Here is a link with some information about establishing in-state residency:
https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency

Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM

103 posts, read 113,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It sounds like your son might end in MIS at UT rather than CS, you can see the differences here:
https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/...er-science-mis
Computer Engineering wouldn't be equivalent to MIS--MIS is typically CIS in other places. Computer Science would be the closest as an undergrad, though many go the Electrical Engineering route instead. Software Engineering is only available as a graduate degree.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post
Computer Engineering wouldn't be equivalent to MIS--MIS is typically CIS in other places. Computer Science would be the closest as an undergrad, though many go the Electrical Engineering route instead. Software Engineering is only available as a graduate degree.
Yes, it is tricky. Hard to know without detailed info about the current major at Ohio and I'm not going to do that digging. The kid should put his research skills to work and spend some time doing a deep dive into comparing degree plans.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 21,602 times
Thanks for the input around out of state transfers to UT. If my son does transfer we would have been fully qualified as Texas resident with over 1 year of wages, rent, voting etc under our belt. The program at University of Cincinnati is in their school of Engineering and it's a 5 year program. The kids spend 2 semester and 1 summer in Co-Ops. He's comfortable where he's at right now and has the option to claim OH residency and stay at UC. If he does transfer, it would most likely the start of his Junior year. Maybe figure out a way for him to grab a Co-OP in Austin and than after graduation head on down.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyguy63 View Post
Thanks for the input around out of state transfers to UT. If my son does transfer we would have been fully qualified as Texas resident with over 1 year of wages, rent, voting etc under our belt. The program at University of Cincinnati is in their school of Engineering and it's a 5 year program. The kids spend 2 semester and 1 summer in Co-Ops. He's comfortable where he's at right now and has the option to claim OH residency and stay at UC. If he does transfer, it would most likely the start of his Junior year. Maybe figure out a way for him to grab a Co-OP in Austin and than after graduation head on down.
The other thing they will look at is whether your son was getting in state tuition in Ohio the year before he transfers to UT. You can't reap the benefits of in-state tuition one place and expect to be immediately domiciled in another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin