Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 112,261 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am moving to Austin from Philly. I Will be a grad student at UT, and am trying to find a place to live

The top three conditions for me are:
1) as close to campus as possible or convenient by shuttle, bus, or car
2) as cheap as possible (efficiencies OK)
3) safe -in the neighborhood sense - I have lived in downtown Philly for past two years, so I am OK with the "urban safe" - i.e. don't call attention to yourself and you will be OK - but not with "do not think of going outside after 10pm" "safe."

Other things that would be nice are:
1) bang for the buck factor - better value places
2) pets - I will eventually move over my dog and a cat
3) parking
4) proximity to the river/lake and outdoor parks / areas

I visited Austin once before, but just barely. I will be in town once before moving for a campus visit, but I doubt I will have much chance to explore.

I am trying to find a good neighborhood that will serve we well for at least the first year - I am fine with moving shortly after arriving - but want to be in an OK place when I arrive.

I would love to get apartment complex recommendations - or any other help I can get.

Thanks a lot.

Igor2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
There are many UT 'satellite' neighborhoods. The three most popular are probably
  1. Far West area (which is not far to the west, it is on Far West Blvd)
  2. Hyde Park (just north of campus)
  3. Riverside (south of the River, East of the interstate).
I am a bit out of the apt scene, so not sure on prices exactly, but FW and HP are similar priced, probably, but you trade off nicer apts (FW) for closer, older apts (HP). The shuttle to FW goes directly to campus and is very nice. HP is easy biking distance and has shuttles as well.

Riverside used to be (still is?) the cheapest, and, I think, has a mixture of older and newer apts. It is the roughest area of the three, but as a guy, I would not worry about it. For a girl, I would worry a bit more. Haven't been out that way in a while, so maybe my impressions are out of date.

Other places to look at:
East of I-35, due east of campus - used to be very rough, but quite improved. Price has probably gone up with the safety, though, too. Safety can vary within just a block or two in this area.

West campus - Very close, but much more expensive. Used to be frat land, probably still is .

Here is the shuttle bus map: PTS: Shuttle Map - System-Wide (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/austin-bus.html - broken link)
The shuttle routes further out either get you nice apts or cheaper apts than close in.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-24-2008 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Hyde Park is more north of 38th, if you're looking for housing. North campus is what the area between campus and 38th used to be called, so if you see something listed as being in north campus rather than Hyde Park, that's where it would be.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
I will second the Wreck's choices. Google Map the areas and see what you like!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM

17 posts, read 55,950 times
I would suggest Manor Road. That is across IH35 from UT, and is fairly popular for UT students. That neighborhood is pretty nice but still convenient.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 AM

7 posts, read 24,917 times
I'm pretty much in Igor's shoes. Anyone have an idea on what the general rental range for a 1 BR is in Hyde Park or Far West or Riverside? I'm sure I can find individual examples on Craigslist, but I'm curious to know what the general range to expect is.

I'm out here in L.A. and live in the San Fernando Valley. One bedroom in an "urban safe" part of the valley goes for about $950-$1200. Wondering/hoping it's not that high, but have heard that while Austin is not "L.A. Expensive" in terms of cost of living, it's not cheap.

Incidently... is there an income tax in Texas?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
My husband and I lived in Austin for a while, he was a Grad student at UT. We had a hard time finding an apartment as we hadn't "pre-leased" any; as there are many students you should try to find something way in advance. UNFORTUNATELY, MOST APARTMENT COMPLEXES WITH GOOD PRICES DO NOT ACCEPT PETS. It was essential for us to take ours, so we needed extra patience trying to find one. Also, the deposit you are charged for them is pretty expensive. We lived in the Hyde Park area, which was fairly safe. Sometimes we heard of car break-ins, but if you live in a big city this shouldn't be a problem to you. Check the UT shuttle routes and you will find great transportation to go to school. Far West is fine, but a bit too far... Hyde Park is closer and has grocery stores, hospitals, pharmacies, everything nearby. Hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM

288 posts, read 919,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthage56 View Post
I'm pretty much in Igor's shoes. Anyone have an idea on what the general rental range for a 1 BR is in Hyde Park or Far West or Riverside? I'm sure I can find individual examples on Craigslist, but I'm curious to know what the general range to expect is.

I'm out here in L.A. and live in the San Fernando Valley. One bedroom in an "urban safe" part of the valley goes for about $950-$1200. Wondering/hoping it's not that high, but have heard that while Austin is not "L.A. Expensive" in terms of cost of living, it's not cheap.

Incidently... is there an income tax in Texas?
I rented a studio apartment in Hyde Park (near 45th and Guadalupe) for about $500/mo in 2005. Dunno what it is now, but I expect it's a lot more.

There's no income tax in TX.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,862 times
Have you thought about buying a condo? Condos close to campus are a great investment, and you won't be throwing away rent for the next 4 years.......properties around campus are rare, so you would most likely not lose anything. Check out The Bungalows in the north campus area......easy walking distance to campus. They have a buyer financing package right now that would probably beat any rents you would pay for a year. And, they are really nice inside......most apartments or condos in the $1000/month range are going to be pretty nasty inside.......

Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 25,809 times
check out longhornlanding.com 4 bedroom apartment each pay 415 a month furnished and free internet and cable. it is amazing right off of riverside. take ricerside and it takes you straight into congress and down town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: