Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 01:04 PM

110 posts, read 616,218 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My partner and I returned from our house hunting trip in Austin. We are each buying a home (keeps us sane to have our separate space) in Austin. The BF bought a place in Above Stratford (might be officially in Westlake but very close to Central Austin). I did not find anything as I had been looking for a house within two miles or so of his house and found a lot to be unaffordable. Now I am thinking maybe a garden home or townhouse would work but I would really prefer something detached. I currently live in a townhouse in Northern Virginia and swore I would never live in an attached home again. If I go this way, I would like at least some fenced in courtyard or yard so that when the dogs are with me, they can go outside unleashed. Anyway, in Austin do these homes exist (detached and with some private yard)? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:36 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
There are some older condos on Manchaca Road between S. Lamar and W. Ben White you may want to look at.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
There are some detached condo communities in Austin. One is on 183 just north of Anderson Mill - The Cottages at Lake Creek, and there's some "green" garden homes in the Arboretum area. (I've seen the former, haven't seen the latter.) There are other similar communities, as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
I seem to also recall some detatched condos on Jollyville Road between the Arboretum Blvd and Oak Knoll.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Ash Creek makes some cool looking new garden homes, but they are all NW and kind of far out... Ash Creek Homes - Austin area homebuilder for over 25 years (toro creek and the ranch at riverplace might be nice.

Closer in, but not REAL close in --

There are some older ones off Far West on the west side of Mesa Drive, Meadow Mountain I think it is called.

There are some in Lakewood off 360 just south of 2222. There are some connected as well as detached. Different styles and ages.

Also, Cat Mountain has some garden homes and near-garden homes (small lots). Some have 2 bedrooms, which usually means they are priced much lower than the 3br ones (but still the same great location).

Courtyard also has some (360 & Courtyard Dr next to tennis courts), as does Davenport Ranch .. near 360 and Westlake Dr.

There are also some high-dollar ones off Westlake Dr, east of Davenport... but they are large sq ft. The name of the place escapes me. They cost as much as regular houses in Westlake.. but not as high as Above Stratford, I would guess.

Finally, someone here posted about some in Senna Hills in the Westlake area (a bit farther out on 2244 though).

All of those are in really great locations. Sorry I don't know of any detached garden home style areas in Tarrytown or Clarksville or somewhere closer in. There are some really nice attached townhomes there.

Last edited by atxcio; 03-24-2008 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 AM

110 posts, read 616,218 times
Thanks so much. This is very helpful stuff.
Will check into these!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Northwest Hills has a lot of garden homes. That's north of 2222 and west of Mopac, east of 360.

What price range are you trying to stay within?

Steve

Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Ash Creek makes some cool looking new garden homes, but they are all NW and kind of far out... Ash Creek Homes - Austin area homebuilder for over 25 years (toro creek and the ranch at riverplace might be nice.

Cottages at Lake Creek that I mentioned before is NW, but right by Anderson Mill, which means that taking the back way it's not that far from the area she was talking about. (I take a route close to that to get to my daughter's place in Apache Shores regularly.)

Closer in (like Clarksville, as mentioned) really doesn't lend itself well to detached garden homes, for some reason. Not sure why.

There used to be some lovely little houses long ago that served the same purpose, by campus and downtown, but they are long gone. Little streets of little houses with small yards and a nice community feeling. I think the ones downtown are a high rise or something now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin