Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 AM

525 posts, read 721,758 times

Advertisements

Any comments about Buda and Kyle? I see more affordable rentals there and it's not far from potential job in South Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
I rather like Buda and Kyle personally. Much more of a small town feel (although they are growing) and not too bad of access to S. Austin. SH45 will make access to Austin in general easier over the next few years.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I rather like Buda and Kyle personally. Much more of a small town feel (although they are growing) and not too bad of access to S. Austin. SH45 will make access to Austin in general easier over the next few years.
Why is traffic very bad in Austin? Is Austin doing anything to address the issues with future projects/road constructions unless they are already underway?

Are there any prospects for light rail? There's DART in Dallas connected to other route in Fort Worth and Houston has one as well. I think one has been approved for San Antonio too.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Why is traffic very bad in Austin? Is Austin doing anything to address the issues with future projects/road constructions unless they are already underway?

Are there any prospects for light rail? There's DART in Dallas connected to other route in Fort Worth and Houston has one as well. I think one has been approved for San Antonio too.
Traffic will be an issue for a very long time in Austin. There are ideas and talks of it but, again, it will take a long time. I'm sure there is a scientific reason why traffic sucks in Austin, but for the most part its because there are way more people here than there were when the highways were designed.

We have light rail but it is very limited, with one route on the west side of the city going from Leander down to the convention center. It is a commuter light rail with very limited hours. There have been no talks of light rail in San Antonio since a measure failed several years ago.

You may want to search the forum a bit more regarding traffic.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,597 times
Quote:
Any comments about Buda and Kyle? I see more affordable rentals there and it's not far from potential job in South Austin.
Maybe not far distance wise, but commute time wise could be a completely different matter. There are reasons rents are cheaper that far out.

It's foolish to decide where to live prior to finding employment, but particularly when deciding on a far flung suburb. The day you sign a lease in Kyle is the day you'll receive a job offer of your dreams in far north Austin.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,571,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We have light rail but it is very limited, with one route on the west side of the city going from Leander down to the convention center. It is a commuter light rail with very limited hours. There have been no talks of light rail in San Antonio since a measure failed several years ago.

You may want to search the forum a bit more regarding traffic.
You're batting .500 Our little bitty rail line is not "light rail"(except in the sense of effectiveness, I suppose). I also wouldn't describe it as being on the "west side" of the city, although Leander IS to the northwest, the route from Howard into town wouldn't be described as 'west' by most folks.

Absolutely right on your second point above

Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You're batting .500 Our little bitty rail line is not "light rail"(except in the sense of effectiveness, I suppose). I also wouldn't describe it as being on the "west side" of the city, although Leander IS to the northwest, the route from Howard into town wouldn't be described as 'west' by most folks.

Absolutely right on your second point above
True. It crosses over west and east of 35 but a big chunk is 35. I'll say you're 50% right and I'm 50% right. It starts and ends west of 35.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,713,224 times
Quote:
Our neighborhood gets the feed from Hays County Sheriff's office regarding crime. Mostly petty crime and drugs. I'd say 75% is in Kyle/Buda. I'll see if I can get you the link.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Our neighborhood gets the feed from Hays County Sheriff's office regarding crime. Mostly petty crime and drugs. I'd say 75% is in Kyle/Buda. I'll see if I can get you the link.
Really?! I thought crime would be much lower in Kyle/Buda compared to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin