Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
Personally, I just read the words like they are meant to be said according to a dictionary or native language.

Mueller != Miller I don't care if you can't say your own name correctly.
The thing is, the way someone pronounces their own name is, by definition, the correct way to pronounce it. Even if you don't care for the way they pronounce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,971 times
Some pronounce "Manshack" with a silent H.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM

174 posts, read 311,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar76 View Post
I guarantee you it's not trendy, (nice spelling buddy.) From the day I was born it's been pronounced that way.

If you don't like it, MOVE. Good riddance to bad rubbish! You can't move somewhere, not learn about the local culture, and then assume they are idiots because they don't do something in a manner you think they should be doing it. That's why Texan's hate when "foreigners" (Californian's, New Yorkers, Floridians, etc...) move here. Stay out so we don't have to deal with your snobby, uptight, vain nature.
God I'm so absolutely sick and tired of hearing people say the whole "if you don't like it 'move'" or "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out" responses in threads anytime someone's opinion is different.

Get over yourself. You are what makes a place unfriendly, this holier than thou attitude when someone has something slightly critical to say about Texas, or God forbid Austin. It's like people have to tip toe around worried all the time that someone is going to bite their head off if they have something to say that may be contradictory to what supposed "true Austonians" think.

Of all the places I've lived and visited I must say Austin takes the cake with residents that attack people who disagree with them and so far my favorite attack is this negative connotation involved with Californians. Guess what, there are jackholes from California, and jack holes from Texas, it's rather evenly distributed but as I can honestly say that I have never seen Californians attacking people specifically because of their geographic location... but who knows... maybe that's just a Texas thing and I'm just some moronic idiot born in Iowa... but that's just redundant.

End rant.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Some pronounce "Manshack" with a silent H.
hahahaha!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM

40 posts, read 65,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The thing is, the way someone pronounces their own name is, by definition, the correct way to pronounce it. Even if you don't care for the way they pronounce it.
I guess so.

My last name is Johnson but i pronounce it "Rodriguez". So, I guess I am correct--by definition.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
I wonder how Jimmy Smits would pronounce Guadalupe?

I love this classic clip from SNL.

Antonio Mendoza - YouTube

Old 06-02-2012, 02:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
wadda loop

You can add a long a to the end.

wadda loop a

Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
My junior-high-school spanish teacher in Houston insisted that the proper pronunciation of San Felipe Road there was "San-Fillup-ee", not "San-Fel-ee-pay". I also like the "San-Sayba" and "Bear" pronunciations. I admit I'm maybe guilty at times of trying to affect a proper Spanish (or Mexican) pronunciation. Like when my New York friends ask me why I say "San Fel-ee-pay" ... I just can't help it, maybe took too many years of Spanish. But, I think any way to say it is ok as long as its not snobbery.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Here's my best pronunciation story... my ex had a friend who was born and raised and lived in an and hardly ever went out of New York, New York. And there is a prominent, well known street in NYC, a block below First Street, named Houston Street, pronounced HOUSE ton.

This friend was talking to my ex about some travel plans she had made, such that she would be visiting HOUSEton, Texas.

Ex: That's pronounced HYOO stun.

Friend: What?

Ex: The city in Texas, it's pronounced HYOO stun.

Friend: What? No, I'm going to HOUSE ton.

Ex: Seriously, the city is called HYOO stun.

Friend: Stop it! Why are you doing this? I'm not going to HYOOOOOO stun! I'm going to HOUSE ton, like the street!

Ex: That's what I'm trying to tell you...

At which point her friend slammed out of the place and wouldn't speak to her for weeks... convinced my ex was trying to mess with her mind.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,284 times
lol

Apollo 13: "HOUSEton we have a problem. HOUSEton we have a problem! HOUSEton we have a problem!!!!"

Houston Space Command: "Apollo who are you talking to?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin