Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm going to be a recent grad looking to move to Austin soon. I'm in my twenties, but that doesn't mean I want to live in a party-friendly building. I don't drink, play music through headphones, not speakers, and generally try to not bother my neighbors as much as possible (although that doesn't mean I'm against socializing with them). I won't be moving with a pet, so I don't care if they're not allowed in the building.

I can afford up to $2000 per month on rent, and will be working between Shoal Beach and downtown. I've been looking around online and found several places that looked nice, but some reviews were worrying, so I figured I'd enlist help.

A lot of sunlight is a plus for me, so it's not required, but I love having large windows, so long as I can block out enough light to sleep. I could get blackout curtains for that, though. Some city noise is obviously fine, but I don't want to be able to hear bar music blasting in my apartment. (Or screeching trains, like some reviews said.) Google Fiber would be a plus, but not required.

Any advice? The ones I found so far were:
The Whitley
Gables West Avenue Apartments (a bit worried over some of the reviews)
5th Street Commons (also worried over some reviews)
Lamar Union (although this is quite a bit further away)
AMLI Downtown
Gibson Flats (although also rather far away)

Any input? I might get a car but would prefer walking/biking/buses/those rental cars similar to ZipCar I know are around in Austin, so parking would be nice but isn't 100% required.

In general I like more "modern" style apartments with large windows, but I'll look at others too.

(Oh, and I do prefer apartments over townhouses and condos - I worry more about those being broken into, since I hate living on the first floor of places, and I'll be living alone.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 07:46 PM

9,858 posts, read 13,813,940 times
Not sure where shoal beach is but I do know where shoal creek is. Aside from my snarky comment I don't have anything relevant to say. I cannot even fathom paying more than $1000 on rent Ruth my salary.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,180,795 times
Get an apartment locator! Legit in Austin and free to you.

Not sure what Shoal Beach is either, there is Shoal Creek and Lamar Beach. But your budget is more than adequate. I wouldn't bother with online review, only those with an ax to grind ever post reviews.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,084,019 times
I'd recommend living on S Lamar Blvd; There are various new lofts and it's a hip to the hop/bip to the bop part of town! There's The Bowie, downtown, which is around $2k per month, AFAIK, but I don't think you need to drop that kinda money to find a new and modern place. If you live on S Lamar, there are a lot of bars and restaurants, plus you're not too far from SoCo or Barton Springs Rd. Since I've lived in Austin I've been a "North Austinite", so I'm a fan of Burnet Rd, but if you're south, I think S Lamar Blvd is a good place to look. I second what centralaustinite said about getting an apartment locator. I think you could drop your max amount to $1500 per month and still find a great place (assuming it's a 1 BR or Studio).

Old 11-06-2016, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
I'd recommend living on S Lamar Blvd; There are various new lofts and it's a hip to the hop/bip to the bop part of town! There's The Bowie, downtown, which is around $2k per month, AFAIK, but I don't think you need to drop that kinda money to find a new and modern place. If you live on S Lamar, there are a lot of bars and restaurants, plus you're not too far from SoCo or Barton Springs Rd. Since I've lived in Austin I've been a "North Austinite", so I'm a fan of Burnet Rd, but if you're south, I think S Lamar Blvd is a good place to look. I second what centralaustinite said about getting an apartment locator. I think you could drop your max amount to $1500 per month and still find a great place (assuming it's a 1 BR or Studio).
Thanks! Yeah, I'll look into getting an apartment locator, then, and take a look at S Lamar Blvd and Burnet. I'd love to save more and spend far less on rent, $2000 is just my absolute preferred maximum. I'm also considering living a bit further away, now, to save more, but I'd like to stay within a 20-minute bus ride, as I'd prefer to still not have to own a car to save more money.

Are there places/apartments/areas I should avoid entirely?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:54 AM

494 posts, read 543,096 times
Try to rent a condo around Barton Springs rd and South Lamar. The condos have less of the party vibe and they have more security than the apartments.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiranigma View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'll look into getting an apartment locator, then, and take a look at S Lamar Blvd and Burnet. I'd love to save more and spend far less on rent, $2000 is just my absolute preferred maximum. I'm also considering living a bit further away, now, to save more, but I'd like to stay within a 20-minute bus ride, as I'd prefer to still not have to own a car to save more money.

Are there places/apartments/areas I should avoid entirely?
:-). I'd avoid Lamar north of 183/Research and perhaps some areas off (Hwy) 35. I think Burnet or Lamar are good since they have major bus lines running through them. If you'd like living a bit away from downtown, I'd suggest living near the North Loop, or even The Domain.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:03 PM

151 posts, read 240,223 times
Find the downtown building you like, you'll be able to get one with a 2k max budget, and enjoy Austin! Don't get too hung up on reviews, as someone else pointed out, people typically only write a review when they have a bad experience, and so I am assuming that there are many more that like it!

What is shoal bench? You still haven't specified and that will help with the idea of your commute. Shoal Creek is goes all through central Austin, so even when we try to consider where you will be community, i am still confused where the "Shoal Bench" part will be....

Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,435,506 times
The E. Riverside Dr. / S. Lakeshore Dr. area is very nice and only three miles or so from downtown. There are numerous modern apartments to choose from in the area:

AMLI Southshore
Azul
RiverView
Shore District 1-4
Lakeshore Pearl

The area is nice, quiet, and close to downtown. The rent should be a little cheaper since you are south of Town Lake as well.

Another area is S. Congress / E. Riverside Dr., which includes:

Cresent Apartments
CityView at SoCo
Statehouse on Congress
Water Marq, (brand new)

Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Also, downtown there is The Bowie (REBEL REBEL, YOU'VE TORN YOUR DRESS...REBEL REBEL, YOUR FACE IS A MESS). I saw that they have 1 BR apts starting around $2100 per month, as per their website. They got 3.5/5 stars on Yelp, too. I forgot to mention that Bouldin Creek/Zilker seems like a neat area, which is around S Lamar and S 1st.

Also, if you like hipsters, there's always SoCo (South Congress). That is close to downtown and has bus lines that run through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: