Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
My wife and sister like it and never seem to mention kids. It might depend on the time of year.
We went every year for a while for a small family reunion of sorts. Between us we had 6 kids, which is why we chose it. Lots of activities - organized crafts and games - geared specifically for kids. They did it because they either wanted to attract more kids (worked for us) or were catering to the already large number of kids coming there.

That said, we stopped going because it was co obscenely overpriced for what it was. Not worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 PM

483 posts, read 409,631 times
Thank you all for the suggestions! We've never pampered ourselves by getting a massage! That is definitely something we are considering!

Old 09-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
ACL Music Festival – Sept. 30-Oct. 2 & Oct. 7-9, 2016 | Zilker Park ...

what kind of food do you like?
food: Mexican, Italian, BBQ, southern coooking, but we really like mom and pop joints because the food taste better, more authentic!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
We've never pampered ourselves by getting a massage! That is definitely something we are considering!
Don't feel bad, when I was in SE Asia I pampered myself by getting a massage on more than one occasion .

Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Rainey Street for bar-hopping.. more mature crowd than Sixth Street.
A bunch of old homes converted into bars.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
Agreed, Rainey Street is a fun place! :-)

Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
I second the Domain and Rock Rose area......much classier than 6th street and easier accessibility. There are nice spas, restaurants, and bars there.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I shouldn't comment on Rock Rose in the Domain, as I've never been there... but how exactly is it any different than any other outdoor-mall based entertainment district that you can find in almost any major city now?

I would think if the visitor is wanting a unique-to-Austin experience, something like Rainey Street, SoCo, 6th Street, or something around the river or hill country would be preferable. Many good suggestions already on this thread.. but I would add:

1) Coming from SA, you probably can skip the Mexican and Italian here since you already have better down there. But BBQ or some of the food trailers here might be nice. For BBQ, if you don't want to do the hours-long line and limited hours at the "mecca" of BBQ (Franklin BBQ), then I'd suggest Terry Black's on Barton Springs Rd.

2) Since you like outdoors stuff, you can also rent bikes or boats in that area (Barton Springs Rd/Zilker Park), walk the trail, or take a more robust hike on the greenbelt. Or visit the Barton Springs Pool. Renting a bike there you could ride around downtown and hit all the neat areas... 2nd Street, Downtown Whole Foods, Warehouse District, 6th Street, Rainey Street, etc... you could easily spend a whole day doing just that.

3) The Oasis - People will tell you the food isn't great there, and they are right - but you can go for drinks and the amazing view. If you happen to be here on a Sunday, they have a Salsa lesson night there that is pretty fun. http://do512.com/events/weekly/sun/s...-7-30-10-30-pm. It's in the Starlight Theatre, the music venue they have. We always see tons of groups of ladies, since it's kind of a free-for-all dance lesson thing and everyone takes part (whether they are with someone or not). Casual and fun.

Check a site like https://www.everfest.com/texas/austin-festivals to see what festivals are in town.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I shouldn't comment on Rock Rose in the Domain, as I've never been there... but how exactly is it any different than any other outdoor-mall based entertainment district that you can find in almost any major city now?

I would think if the visitor is wanting a unique-to-Austin experience, something like Rainey Street, SoCo, 6th Street, or something around the river or hill country would be preferable. Many good suggestions already on this thread.. but I would add:

1) Coming from SA, you probably can skip the Mexican and Italian here since you already have better down there. But BBQ or some of the food trailers here might be nice. For BBQ, if you don't want to do the hours-long line and limited hours at the "mecca" of BBQ (Franklin BBQ), then I'd suggest Terry Black's on Barton Springs Rd.

2) Since you like outdoors stuff, you can also rent bikes or boats in that area (Barton Springs Rd/Zilker Park), walk the trail, or take a more robust hike on the greenbelt. Or visit the Barton Springs Pool. Renting a bike there you could ride around downtown and hit all the neat areas... 2nd Street, Downtown Whole Foods, Warehouse District, 6th Street, Rainey Street, etc... you could easily spend a whole day doing just that.

3) The Oasis - People will tell you the food isn't great there, and they are right - but you can go for drinks and the amazing view. If you happen to be here on a Sunday, they have a Salsa lesson night there that is pretty fun. http://do512.com/events/weekly/sun/s...-7-30-10-30-pm. It's in the Starlight Theatre, the music venue they have. We always see tons of groups of ladies, since it's kind of a free-for-all dance lesson thing and everyone takes part (whether they are with someone or not). Casual and fun.

Check a site like https://www.everfest.com/texas/austin-festivals to see what festivals are in town.
Awesome, thanks for info.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 PM

230 posts, read 545,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Tickets were sold out before they even went on sale.

I would reccomend doing some outdoorsy things, green belt, town lake, etc. search for concerts in Austin and just pick a day to come up for a show. I'm in my thirties and my sister in her late twenties and we had a girls weekend on Saturday. We went to ikea, to a brewery, ate some tacos and almost went downtown before passing out.
Stunhub has plenty of tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin