Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Austin in a few weeks, and would like to get some advice around areas to rent an apartment. We are in our late twenties and will have a little angel added to our family towards the end of the year.

We would prefer living in a calm peaceful community with places to go for an evening walk either within the community or nearby. I will be working in downtown (near Radisson) and would like to keep the commute time to minimum. Having Grocery stores, Walmart, Banks, Restaurants close-by would be helpful.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

- I have read that the commute into downtown can be bad during office hours. How bad does it get for someone coming from North/NW and driving 10 miles?
- What are the peak traffic hours?

Best regards,
Alok

Last edited by alokv; 09-05-2016 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 AM

9,859 posts, read 13,864,152 times
Do you want something urban or suburban? New? Old? Budget? Size? What is a bareable commute? Lots of questions need to be answered before we offer suggest areas.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 09-05-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,209,659 times
What is your budget? Do you want a single family home or an apartment? With the right budget, you could rent an apartment in the Travis Heights or Zilker neighborhood (away from the noise of S. Congress) and have a two minute commute to work. Plenty of the "under 5 years" set in both neighborhoods, great parks too!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,001,297 times
Not sure what your budget is but I'd look at renting in the Mueller neighborhood. It's very family-friendly and close to downtown.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 1,919 times
Thank you for your replies. Below is some additional information which I missed initially.

I would prefer sub-urban apartment (with trees around, not high rise). New/Old is fine as long as the community is nice.
Budget: $1100-1400. Size: 700-1000 sq ft.
Bearable commute one way: 20-25 mins.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:35 AM

9,859 posts, read 13,864,152 times
I'm going to suggest the Tech Ridge and surrounding areas as far as affordability. It's going to be the top of your commute time but it's suburban and has good ammenities as far as shopping. The North/northwest area that you asked about may be a bit far as commute is concerned but it does have the suburban feel you are looking for. $1k-1.4k may get you into the Mueller and Windsor Park area but it's borderline suburban. The apartments in Mueller proper are high rises and the others in the area are older and scattered about without much of a community feel (I'm thinking no private balcony and right on the street). There may be some areas south that might work (Westgate/71 area is the one I am familiar with), but again, I don't know know much about south Austin.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,209,659 times
everything outside of the downtown core is suburban if you ask me! 3-4 story apartment complexes are not high-rises and there are many that are just 2 story.

Get an apartment locator, I'd look at older complexes on the interior of the neighbors immediately of the south of downtown. You should be able to do it at the top of your price range and a super short commute is priceless!

Old 10-15-2020, 12:25 AM

114 posts, read 125,794 times
I am following this threat. i am also looking for peaceful neighbhorhood in austin, safe to go for walks jogs without running into highways and where I feel safe and could have kids one day. i lived in Austin for 6mth down south lamar which has great qualities with proximity to downtown and metrobus, zilker and lake but did not enjoy walking outside to beeping traffic. I like hyde park and perhaps allandale but not sure if all students there

If someone has more info about north austin neigbhorhoods or west austin that are walkable and bikeable, perhaps golf/tennis courts nearby, that would be helpful.

I just assume techridge was on highway next to corporate business parks, but perhaps I am mistaken

I agree Mueller is good for families because you can walk to park safely and enjoy the lake. (or fake lake

Thanks !

Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,691,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
I am following this threat. i am also looking for peaceful neighbhorhood in austin, safe to go for walks jogs without running into highways and where I feel safe and could have kids one day. i lived in Austin for 6mth down south lamar which has great qualities with proximity to downtown and metrobus, zilker and lake but did not enjoy walking outside to beeping traffic. I like hyde park and perhaps allandale but not sure if all students there

If someone has more info about north austin neigbhorhoods or west austin that are walkable and bikeable, perhaps golf/tennis courts nearby, that would be helpful.

I just assume techridge was on highway next to corporate business parks, but perhaps I am mistaken

I agree Mueller is good for families because you can walk to park safely and enjoy the lake. (or fake lake

Thanks !

I wouldn't put much stock in the info in this thread. A LOT has happened in the four years since it was active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: