Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,833 times

Advertisements

"Not everyone can pick up and move. And to pay out of pocket for medical expenses can quickly bankrupt you. Those suggestions are slaps in the face to families with medically fragile kids. Texas has sacrificed the well-being of sick and disabled children. If you start to look into it, it's really horrific and terribly sad..."

Ditto to this!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
"Not everyone can pick up and move. And to pay out of pocket for medical expenses can quickly bankrupt you. Those suggestions are slaps in the face to families with medically fragile kids. Texas has sacrificed the well-being of sick and disabled children. If you start to look into it, it's really horrific and terribly sad..."

Ditto to this!
The OP deliberately picked up and moved to Texas with their disabled child. It's not like they were long term residents before they had him/her. And they've stayed a decade --- truly sufficient time to gather one's resources and move again to an area better suited to address their child's needs.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Who's making a "case" for Texas? We're quite happy with the robust state of our economy thankyouverymuch. You are not a Texas resident so your opinion matters zero.

To the OP, I'm quite surprised you wouldn't research the services available to you before you picked up and moved to Texas. Equally puzzling is why you've chosen to stay for a decade when you're clearly unhappy about the situation. I hear New Jersey has great benefits -- perhaps you'll be happier with the services and outrageous taxes there.
You may be, but it seems others are not. I certainly don't believe that you speak for all residents. Whether or not I'm a resident has nothing to do with it and wouldn't have mattered to you either way. You read it, a medical professional gave her the advice that Texas isn't the state for her. It's not the state because Texas doesn't strive to support the mentally ill and expects people to bankrupt themselves instead of helping with taxpayer subsidies.

Also, you have no idea whether or not I've lived in TX in the past :-)

Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,138,647 times
Quote:

Ditto to this!
yes everyone can pickup and move. Is it easy? No. impossible? No way.

Here are the choices:

1) force your neighbors to pay
2) move
3) pay for services yourself

Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,833 times
Quote:
The OP deliberately picked up and moved to Texas with their disabled child. It's not like they were long term residents before they had him/her. And they've stayed a decade --- truly sufficient time to gather one's resources and move again to an area better suited to address their child's needs.
And how do you know whether the OP is able to afford to do this a second time? Fortunes can change quite drastically and very suddenly in life. Perhaps they now can't afford to make a move like this. It happens.

And BTW - I don't think anyone needs to be native or "long term" for children (or anyone) to be deserving of seriously-needed assistance.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You may be, but it seems others are not. I certainly don't believe that you speak for all residents. Whether or not I'm a resident has nothing to do with it and wouldn't have mattered to you either way. You read it, a medical professional gave her the advice that Texas isn't the state for her. It's not the state because Texas doesn't strive to support the mentally ill and expects people to bankrupt themselves instead of helping with taxpayer subsidies.

Also, you have no idea whether or not I've lived in TX in the past :-)
Doesn't matter if you've lived here ever. You don't now. You don't pay taxes here. You have no say in our state's public policy.

Quote:
And how do you know whether the OP is able to afford to do this a second time? Fortunes can change quite drastically and very suddenly in life. Perhaps they now can't afford to make a move like this. It happens.

And BTW - I don't think anyone needs to be native or "long term" for children (or anyone) to be deserving of seriously-needed assistance.
They moved here to a well known low services state with a kid who needed high services. They've had a decade to save for another move. Pretty simple really.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you've lived here ever. You don't now. You don't pay taxes here. You have no say in our state's public policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex
I hear New Jersey has great benefits -- perhaps you'll be happier with the services and outrageous taxes there.
I'm sorry, you don't live in NJ and have no right to speak about their services or outrageous taxes.

Quote:
They moved here to a well known low services state with a kid who needed high services. They've had a decade to save for another move. Pretty simple really.
Real empathetic you are! Don't try to understand other's circumstances, you might feel something.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,532,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Wow, what a brutal reality. This isn't helping your case Texas!

Quite the opposite actually.

If you have problems that require taxpayers to help you, then move to California.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,187,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
yes everyone can pickup and move. Is it easy? No. impossible? No way.

Here are the choices:

1) force your neighbors to pay
2) move
3) pay for services yourself
I'm often amazed at some people's inability to credit luck, or the lack of it, to their situation in life. Instead, they always try to make an issue one of economics, as if that was all we lived for or all anyone had any control over, when quite often their personal economy might be the aspect of their life least in their control.
Pay for the services, especially medical services, that you use, in full, throughout your life? I'm not sure I've met anyone who can do that. I tell myself often how lucky I've been to make it this far with a minimal amount of help from society, but I don't kid myself; the wheel keeps turning...

There have been far too many articles over the years, anecdotes like the ones in today's thread, etc, for me to believe that Texas cares for its unfortunate citizens. The largest group of them, I'm told, are the children of the poor. Why should they suffer so that you can save a bit now on your tax bill and our legislators can double dip and enjoy pensions larger than their salaries?

I think I pay quite a bit in taxes and this is a poorly run state where ideology trumps the practical on a regular basis. I think we could get more for our money AND I'd be willing to pay more especially if it weren't to be squandered by the dinosaurs who are in charge now. Rant over (but true).

Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Quite the opposite actually.

If you have problems that require taxpayers to help you, then move to California.
Wouldn't want to help people out or anything, that would be awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: