Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,938,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddaerf View Post
Actually, I have been looking for HR jobs for about 3 months now to no avail. I have my FIRST interview scheduled for next week but I'm not holding my breath (I would LOVE the job but it sounds like they have a lot of interviews). I applied for probably around 15-20 jobs. I am a Generalist and have found that there are very few jobs in Austin for Generalists. Recruitment jobs appear to be all over the place so if you're a Recruiter, go for it!

We have only lived in Austin now for about 3 weeks (yes, we made the move and don't regret it one bit!) and I was worried for a while that I wasn't getting any hits on my resume because I lived out of state (even with a "Relocation not necessary" and "We are relocating in a week" adddition to my cover letters). California is one of the toughest states to practice HR because of its paternalistic laws but I was also concerned that I wasn't getting anywhere because I don't have any Texas experience. Anyway, I'm blabbering, but I have been applying and searching for jobs RELIGIOUSLY to no avail. (I am so desperate that I would start taking mental notes of company names on large buildings and look them up on their websites when I got home).

Anyhow, good luck!
Don't take your job search as a rejection of you personally. I am going through the same experience you are.

Before we moved to TX from CA I tried finding work and was told I would have a problem not already living in TX. We made the move and I am still having problems.

I am in the facilities management profession and even though there are plenty of jobs I have only had 2 interviews in almost 3 months. Luckily we brought a lot of equity from the sale of our house in CA and I am not desperate yet, although I have applied for jobs that I would have never thought of in CA. I love TX but cracking the job market is proving very difficult.

That is too funny that you drive around looking for names on buildings! I am doing that also. In my profession the bigger the building the more the challenge in general.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin