Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontonian View Post
Hi

I'm new on this forum. I'm moving to Austin next month. Planning to buy a house few months after. I know that it is not a good time to buy a house but looks like Austin didn't experience this huge real-estate bubble, house prices are still reasonable and what surprises me they are still going up.
I'm looking at Steiner Ranch community (Cedar Park). Is there anybody from that area? I'd like to get all pros/cons of that area and probably to hear what alternative areas I should consider as well.

Some info about us - family of 4, kids are 5 and 8 yrs old, my work is in Arboretum area. Would like to buy a house for not more than 300K. Of course good neighbourhoud and exemplary schools are high priority.

Thanks in advance for those who reply

PS. Moving from Toronto, Canada ;-)
How many sq feet are you looking for? Moderator cut: realtor site

Moderator cut: MLS

That last one is north of mcneil between parmer and 183. I think this is an incredibly awesome location as it has really good access to mopac or 183 so the commutes arent hellish. It is also very quick to get downtown (except during rush hour). There are quite a number of the 100/sq foot houses in this area.

The distance to downtown is about the same, but the roads are much faster. Moreover you are much closer to major up north employers (dell, IBM, freescale etc). It is about 5 minutes to the arboretum without traffic.

Rush hour on 183 gets bad right around oak knoll going north in the evenings and going south in the mornings.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-12-2007 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Do not post MLS#'s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,977 times
Steiner Ranch is part of Leander ISD which is often connected to Cedar Park. You can get into Steiner Ranch for under $300 resale or just above $300k for new construction.

They've actually just started tapping into the million dollar home market. Some homesites in the back of the development - ie. the Bluffs, are amazing.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-09-2007 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,077 times
Default Hello-

I am moving to Steiner Ranch also...or at least looking into it...any other pros/cons?

I do not like the Mcneil/Parmer area...I would rather the Leander school system.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504to512 View Post
I am moving to Steiner Ranch also...or at least looking into it...any other pros/cons?

I do not like the Mcneil/Parmer area...I would rather the Leander school system.
Much has changed in the two years since this thread was active...you might have better results creating a new thread that addresses your specific questions. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
We have lived in Steiner Ranch for 4 years and love it. Like the pp said, it is not in Cedar Park, it's in Austin. It is, however, in Leander ISD. The schools are top-notch (part of the reason we moved here), and right now there are actually several properties listed below $300,000. You can go to austinhomesearch.com and look for homes in zip 78732. Most of those are in Steiner.

We also looked at River Place but decided on Steiner instead. First, River Place is more expensive. Second, River Place just didn't have the ammenities that Steiner has, namely the community pools (you have to join the country club in River Place to use the pool; Steiner had 3 pools for use by residents, and they are free). Finally, the HOA was ridiculously strict in River Place. Don't get me wrong, they are strict in Steiner too, but in River Place you can't even park your car in your driveway overnight - they all have to be in the garage. So, basically, we would need a 4-car garage so that when our kids get older, we would have enough garage space to park all the cars. That's just crazy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,898 times
Is there a community with similar amenities (hilly nature, good schools, pools, etc) in the $200 range? Most of what I'm seeing are in the flatter Eastern areas (Pflugerville, Manor, Hutto, East RR, etc).

Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,126,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Is there a community with similar amenities (hilly nature, good schools, pools, etc) in the $200 range? Most of what I'm seeing are in the flatter Eastern areas (Pflugerville, Manor, Hutto, East RR, etc).
Have you looked at Avery Ranch? it has a lot of the same amenities.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Have you looked at Avery Ranch? it has a lot of the same amenities.
I only drove past Avery... I liked what I saw but admittedly didn't go inside. I'll definitely be looking into this area. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

786 posts, read 2,763,032 times
Quote:
Check out Dripping Springs as well, but you wold be on the low side of the house pricing scale. I think there are some house models in Belterra in the 200 range. HighPoint may have something in that range, but I'm not sure. Sawyer Ranch would be above that level. Another nice spot is Hidden Springs Ranch which is right in Dripping Springs. You may be able to find something in your range in that area. They have a community pool and ball field. Large lots with a good community feel.

There should also be houses available in some of the other smaller neighborhoods, but they would not have the pools or other amenities and be more country lots.

Good Luck

Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,362 times
Quote:
Cabolissa, have you looked into the Boulders area of Crystal Falls? The homes are Lennar so not super expensive, but the pool area is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin