Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 20,827 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I am a native New Yorker currently living in South Florida (don't ask!) looking into moving to Austin. My boyfriend, who is a professional musician, and I are considering visiting Austin and possibly moving there. Actually, I am convinced it is the place musicians need to be. We were hoping living and working in Austin may be a promising future since it is known as "The Live Music Capital of the World". It sounds very promising.

I was wondering if anyone would mind addressing some questions I have. Can one make a living working as a full time musician or is a day job necessary as well? What is the recording scene like? Is there a good mix of many types of music or is one preferred in particular? What does a musician (generally) get paid per gig? How are the CD sales for the bands that perform (in general)?

I am a teacher and I have small children. How are the local public K-12 schools rated? How does teacher pay compare to the rest of the country? I believe the median price for a home in Austin is about $250,000, no? Is there any other information you would like to share? What about crime issues?

Thanks so much! Any info is greatly appreciated!

ProfessorP

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-08-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,903,638 times
I'll try my best to answer a couple of questions.

I just moved here in September, so I'm not really part of the "scene" yet. Based on my observations and conversations with other musicians, the only problem here as with other perceived music "hotbeds" is supply and demand. There are so many musicians that clubs won't pay too much unless you have wide public appeal. This might be different for the cover band scene. For example, when I used to do cover gigs for money back in Cleveland, I could get $200 per man for a standard 10-2am gig. I bought a house living off that...but it just about sucked away my soul Unless you're doing wedding gigs or other corporate/private events, I don't see that happening too much here. Most musicians make about 15K a year...not too bad if you're living solo and/or have a spouse partner to help out. But raising kids? This is bitter and ironic as musicians unarguably have largely contributed to the "vibe" that is Austin. That being said, if you're crafty, there are always ways to make a living. As for day jobs, the guy who helped me in the coffee section of Central Market the other day happens to be a really great pedal-steel player in a Hawaiian band But musicians have always had to do this and I don't really see it as a problem. Back in the "day" if you weren't employed by Royalty or the Church, you played in the streets.

As for the studios, I know there are several really good ones. There's also a pretty good circle of studio musicians that probably make a good living though it's most likely necessary to go on the road to earn more $$$.

As far as musical diversity, it's a little bit homogeneous, with a lot of Indie rock. But there's also a lot of Blues, Alt-country, singer-songwriter, some traditional country, some western swing, and rock-a-billy. There isn't a lot of classical, jazz, electronic or experimental. But there's some and these scenes are growing which is exciting and important. The arts always parallel the general cultural trends: i.e., Austin is growing and people are moving here from other places and bringing gifts. Some might see these gifts as small-pox infested blankets, but I think it's a great thing. A diverse arts/music scene is a better scene.

To give you an example, I'm going to a meeting tonight that consists of a large co-op of experimental musicians. Most people here don't even know that kind of stuff is happening. You won't find it staggering down 6th street

Also, Austin has a pretty nice little film scene happening as well as a robust video game development scene, so there are other opportunities to seek out besides playing for drunk people in clubs.

"Yaaaawn".

Last edited by twange; 01-08-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Hey there Twange!

Thanks so much for your input! I guess we really need to visit first to see if it is right for us. I would imagine a modest home with good schools in a nice area to raise children will be 300+, no?

PP

Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,903,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorP View Post
Hey there Twange!

Thanks so much for your input! I guess we really need to visit first to see if it is right for us. I would imagine a modest home with good schools in a nice area to raise children will be 300+, no?

PP
I hope I wasn't too negative! Just trying to be accurate. There's definitely a lot of opportunity here. What sort of music are you and your husband interested in? And what kind of gigs is your husband looking to get? I could give you more specific info if I knew that. Can he teach?

As far as housing/schools etc...someone else will be more qualified in doling out info than me. My wife and I are still trying to figure out how we can afford to buy something in Central Austin(where we want to be).

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Twange!

Hey again!

Not too negative at all! I am a big *reality* fan myself! I appreciate your honesty. My hubby is a guitarist- a damn good one, I might add (of course)...He does originals (I know, I know) and some covers but he is true to his heart. Yes, he also teaches to supplement income -as I know you can relate. Why the heck is it that one can hone a skill such as he has for a lifetime well, thirty years give or take, and is not held in the highest esteem? Ok, just venting...Anyway, you kids are looking in Central Austin? That would be what like 500k +, no? Are you from TX originally?

Thanks Twange for the info!

Oh, btw, we are not supposed to give website addresses here, correct? Please search Hansenhaus1 on YouTube for a sample.

Thanks again!

PP

Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,236,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
To give you an example, I'm going to a meeting tonight that consists of a large co-op of experimental musicians. Most people here don't even know that kind of stuff is happening. You won't find it staggering down 6th street
Could you please tell me about this meeting? What kind of experimental music? Is this, like, a "jam session"? Or just to hang out with other people who don't feel like it's not a band unless there's a guitar in it? What is the purpose of this meeting?

I'm in an noise band myself ("noise wave", I call it, heh), and planning to move to Austin... so I'm very curious about the "scene". Are there certain clubs that book experimental/noise bands?

Also, do you know anything about "Austin Experimental Artists" on meetup.com?

My husband, in particular, is really into experimental art & music (Cage, Neubauten, etc...) and hopes he'll meet people out there who aren't lame, aren't "too cool" (i.e. consider themselves "hipsters"), and who share his interests.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,712,621 times
You can find stuff for under 300K Central, at least that's what I read on here quite often. But if you do, it will be small and a fixer upper. Don't be afraid to look at East Austin Central right across the freeway from downtown. There are some new condo projects that have gone up there. I'm not a musician, but really like experimental music myself. When I lived in Houston, they had a pretty large scene for that.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,022,399 times
When we first bought in '02, there were plenty of houses in the Crestview area under $200K. It's a great neighborhood with the old school austin vibe intact. Probably 80% of the houses are 2/1 and under 1200 sq ft but needing a complete remodel You may still be able to find something that's in dire need of some attention for a decent price. Great mix of people there with the Austin weird...a giant wood carved gorilla in one front yard, Reggie the Pot Bellied Pig lives in the yard of a house on Pasadena, etc.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Default Achtung!

Thanks for the reply! Hmmm? Pot bellied pig? Sounds interesting...I wouldn't mind having a goat to keep the lawn trim. I would imagine there would be some sort of zoning laws to keep those kinds of things in "control" though...

Here in South Florida we have HOAs who keep us in line. No trucks allowed, no riff raff, no writing with chalk on the walkways, etc. HOAs really suppress my creativity but then again, I don't have to watch my neighbor work out on the lawn and then park his butt on the sofa...on the porch.

There's always a trade-off...

Thanks Again, Achtung!

PP

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM

Roses

Thanks for the reponse & info! I am not really sure about experimental music. I think my ears may too old for that. It is "noisy", no?

PP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin