Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 PM

90 posts, read 285,571 times

Advertisements

We are considering leaving LA and relocating to Austin, among a few other cities. We visited Austin for a wedding 7 yrs ago and loved the city. After pouring over the threads on city data, I am concerned that Austin has become so popular and expensive that a move for our family might not be worth it. I think the south or southwest areas of Austin would be best for us from what I have read. We would like to live in a smaller city where we can buy a 1500 sq/ft home for less than $400K in a liberal neighborhood with good public schools from elementary through high school. We also prefer a small town vibe or a walking neighborhood with trees, cultural diversity, and creative types, and friendly people. We are aging artists/ hipsters (sort of) in our 40s with three young kids, 3, 5 and 7. We are also not from California originally. I know it is a bit of a cliche for Californians to relocate to Austin. We have lived in LA for 10 yrs and we are tired of the competition for everything...jobs..homes..parking spots at Trader Joe's. Does Austin really offer a different lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,165,145 times
austin is conservative you probably wouldnt like it if you are liberal

1) texas is about to pass open carry, you will see people carrying guns
2) small towns are even more conservative, your kids will probably end up being conservative or ostracized
3) austin doesnt have much cultural diversity, mostly white people especially in your price range
4) religion, they can still talk about christmas and jesus etc in schools here.

400K for a 1500 sq ft could put you virtually in the center of town so that isnt an issue, you can live almost anywhere. Although many areas outside of town wont have as much below 1800-2000 sq ft.

schools will be better than LA in your price range

Austin is much less expensive than LA, especially with time spent commuting or just being stuck in traffic.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,137,246 times
Plenty of liberal folks in Austin! But in a more libertarian sense.

Although I have always thought I'd live the rest of my life in Austin, if open carry passes, I might start looking elsewhere.

OP, walkability will be the toughest thing to find. You need a great realtor and about 3-4 days to visit and check out specific neighborhoods. Have you considered Oregon?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,988,937 times
Austin97 is either joking or intentionally trying to steer you wrong.

Austin is liberal (suburbs less so).

Austin is very diverse. Non-hispanic white is a minority (barely, 48% in 2010, probably a little lower now). Austin (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,595,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
We are considering leaving LA and relocating to Austin, among a few other cities. We visited Austin for a wedding 7 yrs ago and loved the city. After pouring over the threads on city data, I am concerned that Austin has become so popular and expensive that a move for our family might not be worth it. I think the south or southwest areas of Austin would be best for us from what I have read. We would like to live in a smaller city where we can buy a 1500 sq/ft home for less than $400K in a liberal neighborhood with good public schools from elementary through high school. We also prefer a small town vibe or a walking neighborhood with trees, cultural diversity, and creative types, and friendly people. We are aging artists/ hipsters (sort of) in our 40s with three young kids, 3, 5 and 7. We are also not from California originally. I know it is a bit of a cliche for Californians to relocate to Austin. We have lived in LA for 10 yrs and we are tired of the competition for everything...jobs..homes..parking spots at Trader Joe's. Does Austin really offer a different lifestyle?
There are threads about this in Austin, too....although I've seen the competition for a TJ's parking spot FIRSTHAND !

Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,988,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
1) texas is about to pass open carry, you will see people carrying guns
Since the legislature isn't in session, I don't know how you can claim it's "about to pass".

Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM

171 posts, read 255,891 times
Try the Zilker/Barton Hills track to Austin High. It's south. The north equivalent would be the McCallum track.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,086,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
You want things that are mutually exclusive in Austin, so you'll need to prioritize.

If you want your kids to receive great public school education K-12, and you want to have at least a semblance of your cultural wish list, SW Austin 78749/78739 is, I think, your only choice if you rule out more distant suburbs.

If you leave your judgements and labels about others and whether they fit into the boxes you want to put them in behind (hipster, artist, hippy, liberal, etc), and just meet them and talk with them as they present themselves to you, as parents, neighbors, co-workers, friends, artists, others in the gym, the grocery store, etc., you'll find that, for the most part, those labels don't matter in Austin. We all mix with each other, not separate.

Nobody really gives a rats *ss whether you are this or that, how you vote, what you think, your religion, etc. Coming from a place where the opposite is true, like L.A., that's hard for some to understand when considering Austin. We don't automatically rate, rank and sort those we meet. We just get to know them.

Yes, SW Austin leans Conservative, somewhat, but it's by no means a Liberal dessert. If there are unhappy liberals in SW Austin, it's not because they are judged harshly by others, or don't "fit in", it's because they themselves judge others harshly and can't get past their own prejudice and bias, and they don't actually get to know people. Like I tell my kids, the best Vitamin for having good friends is B1.

The age of your kids dictate that the next 15 years of your life will revolve around their upbringing and the social circles that the schooling, birthday parties, sports, activities, etc put you in. You'll find, in most of those circles, that other parents, no matter their "label", share your general parenting values, provided you are not out on some extreme edge of something, and that you actually like 90% of the people you meet despite not knowing which "category" to which they belong.

Raising 3 kids in a sub-2000 sqft home might be doable, but will get crowded as they grow. You'd be better off in a home you can grow into rather than one you grow out of. That will be very doable in your price range.

Welcome, and good luck.

Steve

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,230,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Austin97 is either joking or intentionally trying to steer you wrong.

Austin is liberal (suburbs less so).

Austin is very diverse. Non-hispanic white is a minority (barely, 48% in 2010, probably a little lower now). Austin (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Sorry, Austin97 is right on and I'm from LA. The OP specifically asked how different Austin is from LA; on those points, it's VERY DIFFERENT. Compared to LA , the Austin area, is conservative in it's beliefs and point of view. It is not as liberal as the media makes it out to be.

Compared to LA, Austin is not diverse by any stretch of the imagination.

My daughter came home from school yesterday singing a song about the Lord that she learned in her music class -- one that they sign every class time -- at a (top rated) PUBLIC school.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,156,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Sorry, Austin97 is right on and I'm from LA. The OP specifically asked how different Austin is from LA; on those points, it's VERY DIFFERENT. Compared to LA , the Austin area, is conservative in it's beliefs and point of view. It is not as liberal as the media makes it out to be.

Compared to LA, Austin is not diverse by any stretch of the imagination.

My daughter came home from school yesterday singing a song about the Lord that she learned in her music class -- one that they sign every class time -- at a (top rated) PUBLIC school.
Mostly agree. Most people here in Texas will not get that. Compared to the East and West Coasts, Austin has more of a conservative/libertarian streak. It's not because Austin is so conservative really, but because the coasts are a liberal to an extent unheard of in Texas, largely limited by the state itself. Self-contained, by comparison, it becomes more of a blue oasis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin