Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM

430 posts, read 641,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I guess my confusion is why your HSE did not keep the taxes down. Even if your appraised value went up to 300k, the assessed value should have been some fraction of that.

Not sure why your would refinance to 'get it in sync'? Our house is worth almost twice what we paid for it years ago, but there is no reason to refi it.

If you sell it, ofc, then the HSE protection goes away for the next owner, at least long enough for the assessed value to jump.
What does the homestead exemption have to do with anything? Unlike many other states like Hawaii, it is very very small in Texas and virtually meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,985,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
+10% property tax every year compounds to 259%... So if your house value triples, no you won't pay 3x the property tax, "only" 2.6x. LOL, great.
Yes, if you max out the 10% exemption each and every year for 10 years straight (which basically never happens outside of maybe Rainey).

And if the taxing entities aren't forced to drop the tax rate (which they'll have to if everyone else's values go up as well, so never).

Then yes, 2.6 x, in 10 years. Not triple within a decade.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
What does the homestead exemption have to do with anything? Unlike many other states like Hawaii, it is very very small in Texas and virtually meaningless.
Because with the homestead exemption comes the homestead cap.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:41 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
Quote:
It limits the assessed increase to +10% per year, which can be very important, especially when there are short-term 'bumps' in values. Also, what is rarely mentioned is that sometimes your taxes go down on property (such as 2008-2009), which also resets your HSE +10% baseline. Heck, for many years our house value stayed almost the same and only recently began to skyrocket. Lots of years with relatively low taxes while getting increase pay.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I guess my confusion is why your HSE did not keep the taxes down. Even if your appraised value went up to 300k, the assessed value should have been some fraction of that.

Not sure why your would refinance to 'get it in sync'? Our house is worth almost twice what we paid for it years ago, but there is no reason to refi it.

If you sell it, ofc, then the HSE protection goes away for the next owner, at least long enough for the assessed value to jump.
I refinanced because the rates were low. I was able to use the closing papers to get my assessed value lowered by $80K. County never even tried to argue it. They lowered my values by $80K.
Previous to that I lost to the county.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Yes, if you max out the 10% exemption each and every year for 10 years straight (which basically never happens outside of maybe Rainey).

And if the taxing entities aren't forced to drop the tax rate (which they'll have to if everyone else's values go up as well, so never).

Then yes, 2.6 x, in 10 years. Not triple within a decade.
2.6 is close enough to "triple" if you aren't doing exact figures.

I was out in the middle of nowhere until sprawl started coming my way.
And I only started off with 3 taxing entities..county, ISD and ESD.
I think it was up to 5 entities when I sold.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 07-27-2015 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
2.6 is close enough to "triple" if you aren't doing exact figures.

I was out in the middle of nowhere until sprawl started coming my way.
And I only started off with 3 taxing entities..county, ISD and ESD.
I think it was up to 5 entities when I sold.
So you were annexed?

So that has nothing to do with the issue (and the post you responded to) concerning increases in _valuation_. Your taxes would have seen a big jump even if the value had gone _down_.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So you were annexed?

So that has nothing to do with the issue (and the post you responded to) concerning increases in _valuation_. Your taxes would have seen a big jump even if the value had gone _down_.
No I was never annexed. The ETJ though was creeping further east as fields turned into subdivisions.

The Travis County Healthcare District was created sometime in the mid 2000's if I recall.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:37 AM

69 posts, read 304,190 times
I think the "hidden costs" means LID and MUD, which can be additional 1-2% to house value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin