Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,403,958 times

Advertisements

I did a search on Austin hotels and found out about one cute place (damn the bookmark was on the old computer that just died) and the Hilton, but the rest of the hits required plowing through a lot of unrelated posts. So... I would like to start a thread that focuses on hotels in Austin all sizes and shapes, good and bad reviews.

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,978,219 times
We are a big town. Where do you want to stay and why are you traveling here? Are you needing a hotel as a base to figure out where you want to live or are you coming for a specific reason/seminar/vacation/outing?

I've seen some of your previous postings. I think you want to locate here. Welcome. Just give us a little more to work with.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Yes, I'm hoping to move there next summer/fall. I'm visiting in May.

I guess I'm not sure what location would be the best. That is something I could use advice on as well. I really want to get a feel for the city so I think something central would be best, but odds are good I'm looking at Round Rock as the prices are more reasonable and there is no pet limit.

It will be just me and my 92lb sister, however, so safety is a must. Price is open, I'd like to know all of my options.

I realize the Driskall is supposed to be a must see while in Austin, but I don't really want to sleep in a museum. It looks kind of over done and stuffy. That's just based on the photos I've seen of it, let me know if I'm off base.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,978,219 times
I still don't know enough to answer your question. If Round Rock is a predetermined destination, then do a simple "google" search.

The attached link is for a pretty cool location in South Austin. I will tell you I am biased to this area but the hotel is safe, clean and a good location to center your activities

Welcome to the Austin Motel

Skip the Driskell - way to pricy for your efforts.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,900,458 times
In the past, some posters have recommended using priceline and requesting a 4-star hotel in downtown Austin, and using a price of $80-90 as a bid. Since there are only like 3 downtown 4 star hotels, you'd be guaranteed either the Omni, Stephen F. Austin, or Hilton. All excellent options, great locations, and safe.

Check out this thread (specifically response #7 and forward):
https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-location.html

Since I live here, I haven't stayed at many hotels... but I have stayed at the Omni downtown (kind of has an 80's vibe with the indoor atrium and glass everything, but very nice) and the Renaissance at the Arboretum (nice area right where hwy 360 and the hill country scenery begins, & close to the best shopping.) I'd recommend both of those.

The Hotel San Jose on S. Congress is supposed to be a nice boutique-y place. Never stayed there, but walked by many times. It's in a neat area (SoCo). Probably a bit loud, though.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 AM

Thanks! I'd like to get a place in South Austin based on all I've heard about it, but I'm not sure I can afford the size house in the condition I need it to be. This means big enough that my critters can have some "alone" time if they want and done enough that I don't endanger myself trying to play "Norm Thompson."

Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 AM

122 posts, read 408,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I did a search on Austin hotels and found out about one cute place (damn the bookmark was on the old computer that just died) and the Hilton, but the rest of the hits required plowing through a lot of unrelated posts. So... I would like to start a thread that focuses on hotels in Austin all sizes and shapes, good and bad reviews.

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes!
We stayed at the Embassy Suites (once downtown and once in north austin) We have never been disappointed with them. Breakfast is included.
If you want to check out reviews of hotels, you can go to Tripadvisor.com.
Lots of reviews to check out.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,035 times
I've stayed at the Hilton downtown and it was by far my favorite. I also stayed at some kind of "green" hotel suites --Habitat Suites in the north part of central Austin and it was a nice concept but a little run-down. They did have a nice salt water pool though. The worst place I stayed at was off of 35 and Ben White -- the Omni. Really dated and worn out. The pool was nice. The location was kind of crappy and a little difficult to get to because of the crazy access roads.

I got the Hilton on priceline for $65. I did hotwire and got the Omni for $68.

Downside to the Hilton is you have to pay to park. I think it was $10 a day.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 PM

290 posts, read 1,182,121 times
If you want a non-chain hotel that is amazing, I recommend the Governors Inn:

The Governors' Inn, Austin, TX
Governor's Inn in Austin, Texas, United States near LBJ Library , SXSW Music & Film Festival, Live Music Capital, Waterloo Brewing Company, University of Texas, Bass Concert Hall, State Capital Building, 6th Street Bed and Breakfast Inn

I haven't been there in years, so I hope it is still there.. My wife and I loved our stay there. It is near UT (Univ of Texas). From there you can easily drive anywhere and the prices are fairly reasonable.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,873,065 times
I'm going to Austin in May and booked a room at the Hampton Inn on San Jacinto Blvd downtown. It seems to have a good location and was moderately priced...not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Includes breakfast too and is walkable to many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: