Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 33,056 times

Advertisements

Ok so i know that Austin is known as the live music capital of the US, but id like to know how many Austin musicians are actually making a decent living playing in and around Austin? I realize there are many clubs and places to play music there , but are those musicians making any decent money? By decent money, Im not talking about playing for tips or "passing the hat". Not talking 30 or 40 bucks a night. Can a musician afford to buy a house and live there somewhat comfortably just by playing gigs, recording sessions etc?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
I am not an insider, but I think the number of musicians who can live as you describe is very small. Most also deliver pizza, work in drug stores, are waiters, etc. I know that it also takes a long time to get established. You have to know a lot of people and get connections in order to find gigs.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Depends how successful you are! Certainly there are successful musicians and songwriters who call Austin home and there is a large tier who are established musicians who supplement their income by teaching and other pursuits, and then there is a larger contingent of amateur musicians who play regularly (often just for tips or even pay to play) but who have regular careers for income.

You can't expect just to show up in Austin and start making money. Austin is full of people who love to play music -- music is everywhere -- but the number who can make it their full time gig and live prosperously is very small.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Being a professional musician, like being an artist, an actor, a writer, a filmmaker or any other creative life, is one in which having a "day job" is a way of life for 99 out of 100... or maybe it's more like 999 out of 1,000. No kidding.

A big thing that makes Austin such a great town for musicians isn't the chance to make a lot of money, because most people never will, but because there are so many places to play for an audience. There are something like 225 venues with some form of music in the Austin area on any given weekend, and many host a number of acts, so that's a lot of places to play and be heard. And that's the critical thing for a real musician... playing in public and being heard, as much as possible.

It's said that real mastery of any art takes at least 5,000 hours of practice, and for performing arts as much as possible should be in front of an audience. I just watched a documentary about Jimi Hendrix, and I was struck by how he took his guitar everywhere and played it constantly for anyone who would listen, for years before he made any real money at it. And he was a bona fide musical genius. He just wanted to play and be heard.

If you want to buy a house, I suggest you study software engineering. No joke.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A big thing that makes Austin such a great town for musicians isn't the chance to make a lot of money, because most people never will, but because there are so many places to play for an audience.

I just watched a documentary about Jimi Hendrix ...
Spot on about the number of venues. And part of that is the expectation among the majority of Austinites, that there WILL BE live music when they go out, especially on the weekends - even in simple restaurants. I don't think there is another city in America (maybe save Nashville) with as voracious appetite for music - of any type.

Also watched that Hendrix documentary. Fantastic stuff. Didn't realize how many changes he brought about - what a revolutionary cultural influence he was. I was just too busy enjoying his music - Axis Bold as Love is in my top 10. Also amazing that he had that lasting an influence in only three years on the global stage.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't think there is another city in America (maybe save Nashville) with as voracious appetite for music - of any type.
I've been to Nashville several times, and it isn't even a close second, in my book. Yeah, they have some great venues for hearing the better known musicians, but nothing at all like the sheer number and great variety of musical opportunities in Austin.

To be honest, I think even Memphis is more fun than Nashville. Better food, too.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I know a number of musicians in Austin, they're all broke and work kitchen jobs. They seem to be enjoying life tho'.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:40 PM

14 posts, read 33,056 times
Thanks for the responses. Just for the record, Im not thinking of moving to Austin. Im a professional musician in the Ny /NJ area and have played in Austin a few times at SXSW. I make a good living in my area, own a home, have a family, but Austin always seems to be in the news as far as an inexpensive place to live that has a growing job market. Since its also the live music capital of the world, I was just wondering how it was for the musicians in the area. I never said i wanted to make alot of money. (if I did, I certainly wouldnt have chosen to be a jazz drummer!!) I saw the same Hendrix documentary you're talking about Open D, and certainly realize how much time, practice, and talent it takes to become proficient on an instrument or at anything for that matter. Just wondered if there were players making a DECENT living from playing, teaching, recording etc. like I and others do in my part of the country. Also, any jazz scene there?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Not much jazz scene.

And yes, there are musicians here making a decent living. And we are not really "inexpensive" anymore.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone68 View Post
Also, any jazz scene there?
Not a lot. But Esperanza Spalding lives in Austin, so that must count for something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin