Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM

31 posts, read 105,057 times

Advertisements

Just curious about which metro area is easier to survive without a car? If for example someone lived downtown in Austin or San Antonio, who would have an easier time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
If you are in the core of either city I would think you should be fine. Heb grocery is finally putting a grocery in the downtown area of SA cause they did not have one. Both downtown areas are very different from each other however.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
As long as you can afford the occasional taxi or have a DL and can use a car share program, you'll be fine in either downtown. It would help to also work in either downtown!!

Life is definitely more limited in either place without a car.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 PM

31 posts, read 105,057 times
Thank you for the input!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
I would give SA the edge over ATx for someone lucky enough to be able to find affordable digs in the central core area. One advantage is the interconnection afforded by the river walk for those on foot. I've managed to get by bicycling in both downtown areas and SA is definitely "saner" traffic-wise.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,094 times
Definitely Austin. San Antonio is much more spread out whereas Central Austin is in general pretty walkable. Austin is much more bike-friendly as well and is constantly improving. In some neighborhoods over 13% of trips are made by bicycle and a growing number of people are choosing to bike whether it be to work, the grocery store, school, coffee shop, etc.

In addition the bus system is decent around Central Austin and we even have a commuter rail that goes out to the northern suburbs.

Austin also has ZipCar and Car2Go (car-sharing systems) for times you might need to cheaply rent one. We're also planned to get a bike-sharing system this December as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM

330 posts, read 587,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Definitely Austin. San Antonio is much more spread out whereas Central Austin is in general pretty walkable. Austin is much more bike-friendly as well and is constantly improving. In some neighborhoods over 13% of trips are made by bicycle and a growing number of people are choosing to bike whether it be to work, the grocery store, school, coffee shop, etc.

In addition the bus system is decent around Central Austin and we even have a commuter rail that goes out to the northern suburbs.

Austin also has ZipCar and Car2Go (car-sharing systems) for times you might need to cheaply rent one. We're also planned to get a bike-sharing system this December as well.
It's worth noting that SA has car share through Hertz 24/7 and a pretty extensive b-cycle system. I think it's fairly comparable in the central areas.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
It's worth noting that SA has car share through Hertz 24/7 and a pretty extensive b-cycle system. I think it's fairly comparable in the central areas.
I've used Car2Go in several cities, and I can affirm from experience that no other car share service can touch them in any way.

Checking availability on my phone app, Car2Go has over 200 cars available in Austin at the moment, located all over town. It's VERY easy to use Car2Go in Austin. Whenever I'm in town I use them instead of cabs.

San Antonio Hertz247 shows 5 cars available, basically along the central corridor.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM

330 posts, read 587,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've used Car2Go in several cities, and I can affirm from experience that no other car share service can touch them in any way.

Checking availability on my phone app, Car2Go has over 200 cars available in Austin at the moment, located all over town. It's VERY easy to use Car2Go in Austin. Whenever I'm in town I use them instead of cabs.

San Antonio Hertz247 shows 5 cars available, basically along the central corridor.
Weird. My Hertz app shows about 40 available not counting cars checked out. We've used it a lot and not had problems. We do live centrally and in walking distance to a few car stations though. Anyway, Cars2Go sounds like a great program. What do they charge?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post

Ugh! With the new river extension (museum and mission reach) you can walk/bike for miles in and around downtown San Antonio without ever having to deal with vehicles or traffic. With the plans set to develop San Pedro Creek that goes through downtown into another riverwalk, it will be real hard to beat the pedestrian friendliness that downtown San Antonio has.

Austin has a VERY urban downtown (more then SA), but it's not as pedestrian/bike friendly as SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin