Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:45 PM

16 posts, read 81,364 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I often read this board and have learned a lot from all of you who post and respond to questions--so thank you for that. My husband and I moved to Austin from So California in August and are currently renting in the Circle C/Western Oaks area. We have been looking a lot at homes in that area but we have been drawn since we moved here to Driftwood/Wimberley and areas farther out of the city. The lure of having 1+ acre and a slower pace is drawing both of us. A few other considerations: we don't have kids yet but plan to in the next few years so schools do matter to us; I teach at Texas State San Marcos so I am currently driving about 30 miles to work, and my husband commutes out of the Austin airport once a week (airline pilot); and when not working, we like to be outside-- running, walking, swimming, hanging out in our backyard, etc. We make a lot of use of the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Town Lake Hike and Bike trail.

We are currently seriously considering a home in the Sierra West subdivision of Driftwood (in many ways seems perfect for us). But we are also considering a home in Circle C North and another in Estates of Shadowridge. Being newer to the Texas/Austin area, it would be would very helpful to get some pros and cons of the areas: Driftwood (Sierra West/this home is in Wimberley ISD) as well as Southwest Austin (Circle C/Village of Western Oaks) or even comparisons to each other that may be of relevance considering our situation/needs. All the homes I mentioned above are in our price range although I do wonder if we are 'getting more for the money' in Driftwood.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 21,577 times
Cool Maybe Some Help.

I live just off of 1826. To the North it is Dripping Springs to the South it is Driftwood.
Gotta tell ya, I love it out here, doesn't get any better. High Point is across the street and it is made up mostly of CA transplants.
We call them "roof jumpers" cuz the houses are so close together. I guess they need to be close to others, but it isn't for me.

We are on 2.5 over here with outstanding views, all the same amenities and no neighbors nor street lights. I like that.
Although we don't have children, the Dripping Springs School District is on of the reasons we purchased here, check it out. It is impressive.

Regardless of where you end up, Hay's county isn't a bad choice.
Good luck!

The Drip

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,029,463 times
Dripping Springs to SM would be a horrible drive everyday coming down winding and slow RM12. It's about 40 minutes from 290/12.

You may want to look SW of Austin in the Buda zip code but not in the city. There's plenty of acreage lots available or recent custom/semi-custom construction for sale...Ruby Ranch & Elliot Ranch are both really nice. Ruby Ranch has a ton of lots still available. Most houses west of Buda on 1+ acre are $300K+. It's an easy drive to the airport 25-30 minutes depending on where you live and about 20 minutes max to San Marcos. You can be downtown in Austin going up Brodie to Mopac in 20 minutes. Once SW 45 toll road is built, the area will have very quick access to Mopac to get into Austin. Hays CISD schools west of 35 are good.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,839 times
If you're looking along 290W in Ledgestone, Belterra, Heritage Oaks area you should be aware of a noise problem with Nutty Brown Cafe. Many neighbors are complaining that they aren't able to sit in their homes on weekend nights without a lot of disruption from the music playing there. The sheriff gets a lot of calls about it. I've also heard that the people along Nutty Brown road behind the cafe have it even worse.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 AM

389 posts, read 1,573,717 times
Well, you all know my vote.
Driftwood hands down. We know Sierra West very well, friends in there , etc. some gorgeous lots. If you know the way the commute to Texas State San Marcos would be very easy, you dont even need to get on IH35. The run to the airport is 45 min. right now, but construction of the sh130 tie in @ Buda could significantly reduce that in just a few years.

"big Box" type shopping is all pretty much in Buda/Kyle 15 min away. and the shopping back at Circle C is 18 min away. with more coming fast, but it will all be around the new kyle parkway/1626 area.

Wimberley will have new elementary school within 3 years they say, to be built on Wimberley's new bypass..

One interesting thing to note is that section 3 in Sierra West can get land- locked occaisionally with York Creek going over the road and of course Onion Creek up the street goes over regularly. York creek is never over more than a day though. Usually just a couple hours.

There are many other properties around that are not in any subdivision also.

Best of luck, as I said we are VERY close to SWest, PM or emial us is you want any more specific info..
Cheers

Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 AM

105 posts, read 666,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
You may want to look SW of Austin in the Buda zip code but not in the city. There's plenty of acreage lots available or recent custom/semi-custom construction for sale...Ruby Ranch & Elliot Ranch are both really nice. Ruby Ranch has a ton of lots still available.
I would second this! We looked into the Buda area when we moved here because we have friends there. Ruby ranch and Elliott Ranch are both very nice---we liked the houses there; but after living in downtown Chicago for 13 years, it just felt a little too isolated and rural for us.

Plus, in recent years they have added some convenient shopping nearby, so unlike when we were looking, there is now a large HEB, Home Depot and other large stores nearby.

On a side note, I found it a bit strange when folks in that area would ask for your church affiliation within minutes of meeting you. It was a bit of a culture shock, but I finally came to realize that churches are centers of community life there, and people were simply trying to be helpful to guide you to the group you would most feel comfortable with---they're not trying to "convert" you or anything.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 AM

16 posts, read 81,364 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the helpful info and suggestions. This is very helpful. We had actually driven through Elliott Ranch and liked what we saw generally but didn't say any particular homes for sale that caught our eye. Regarding Ruby Ranch, I heard something about a rock crusher that backs up to that community and some controversy surrounding that. I don't know details.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,029,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb71407 View Post
Regarding Ruby Ranch, I heard something about a rock crusher that backs up to that community and some controversy surrounding that. I don't know details.
As long as you're not backing the rock crusher property you'll never notice. Ruby Ranch is hundreds if not one thousand acres. If you're in the middle or far side of the subdivision, you'll never know it's there.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM

260 posts, read 905,758 times
Are you only considering the Austin area? If not, maybe look at Havenwood between New Braunfels and San Marcos... really pretty area in the hill country and not far some San Antonio or Austin. Lots of new custom homes available in that subdivision.. ALL custom; no tract home builders and on 1+ acres.

BTW, I've heard good things about schools in New Braunfels also.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM

99 posts, read 486,323 times
Red face We love Nutty Brown Cafe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl Lou View Post
If you're looking along 290W in Ledgestone, Belterra, Heritage Oaks area you should be aware of a noise problem with Nutty Brown Cafe. Many neighbors are complaining that they aren't able to sit in their homes on weekend nights without a lot of disruption from the music playing there. The sheriff gets a lot of calls about it. I've also heard that the people along Nutty Brown road behind the cafe have it even worse.
Ok, just gotta put my 2 cents in here. Especially because I am one of those who lives behind the cafe along Nutty Brown Rd in Belterra and supposedly "have it even worse".

First of all, I am very sad to read this post and see that it regards the music from Nutty Brown Cafe as a "noise problem" and a "disruption". It is only really a Saturday night here and there that we can even here any music, and it is just that, music--not loud drunk screaming, no horns honking, no semi-trucks screeching by. It is by no means like living right behind 6th Street!

Second, we can't hear it at all if we are inside the house, just if we outside on the patio or walking up the path to the front door. Since our home is really very close to the cafe, I'm not even sure how others are hearing it so much louder than us. None of my neighbors seemed worried about it either---so for anyone thinking of Belterra, please let me ease your fears. It is really not a big deal at all. Especially for the wonderful community you are getting with it.

I do appreciate the "warning" for the OP because the last thing I would want is to have anybody move into the area and THEN complain. It is an amazing establishment that we find a privilege to have in our community.

Keep Nutty Brown Cafe!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin