Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

109 posts, read 162,804 times

Advertisements

Currently living in a single family home on W.38th St. We love the house - nice and solid, built in 1917, never been "remuddled". We've spent a good chunk of change on infrastructure in the past few years - new roof, new HVAC, new plumbing (inc. a tankless hot water heater). Our mortgage is nice and affordable. The main problems? No storage, no place for a washer AND dryer (we have a combo and it is less than ideal), and no place for cat litter for our indoor cats.

Option 1 is to add on. We can afford this. We're just worried that the neighborhood is going to become completely overrun by student rentals. We don't know if we have the sustained energy to become neighborhood activists.

Option 2 is to try and find something in Northwest Hills (Far West area). Houses in our price range seem really tatty, and we'd be maxed out by the mortgage such that improvements would be a stretch.

Option 3 is to consider something outside the box for us. We looked at a property in East Oak Hill and the spouse and I thought it was kind of creepy and too suburban.

Basically, we need about 1,000 more square feet and we want to live in a school district with an exemplary elementary school. Is there something else we should be considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,975,237 times
Can you add on to your current place?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

109 posts, read 162,804 times
Yup. We already have the plans drawn up. See Option 1, though - we're concerned about the direction the neighborhood is taking

Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,432,548 times
Creepy is what creepy sees.

I've always just gone suburban and taken that space over. Those people want to be led anyway.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM

648 posts, read 1,975,237 times
Option 1. Fight for your hood!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,754,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
Option 1 is to add on. We can afford this. We're just worried that the neighborhood is going to become completely overrun by student rentals. We don't know if we have the sustained energy to become neighborhood activists.
I'd want to give you advice, but your premise doesn't make sense.

Since you live central, you already know that the price per square foot in central Austin is becoming more and more expensive. So, it wouldn't make sense that there would be more student rentals, while the current real estate market is all about selling remodeled homes at a premium between $599-700k as the primary price point in Hyde Park. So, why would an owner sell or rent his/her home at far below market value as a student rental?

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 05-27-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,467,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
Yup. We already have the plans drawn up. See Option 1, though - we're concerned about the direction the neighborhood is taking
Why do central austinites complain about the direction the hood is taking? I mean, you chose to live near campus. I say that they have a right to put up those structures. I'm tired of the whining.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,754,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Why do central austinites complain about the direction the hood is taking? I mean, you chose to live near campus. I say that they have a right to put up those structures. I'm tired of the whining.
It doesn't make sense...especially with the white hot real estate market. The "direction" the neighborhood is taking is toward fewer student rentals, not more. The conversation the neighborhood is having is about affordability, not whether homeownership is under attack.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 20,008,786 times
I'd stay and remodel, simply because it is a terrible time to be a buyer in Austin. Why put yourself in that position?

If the neighborhood changes start to bother you, then maybe consider a 4th option and sell then rent for awhile. Hopefully things cool off or stabilize. Or just wait, I don't think the neighborhood changes you describe (if they happen) will affect your resale value much, since the bulk of the value is surely in the land.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM

15,337 posts, read 35,956,218 times
Actually, have some friends in the area that have really been upset at the number of student rentals. As I understand it, houses are bought, expanded, and then rented out to 6 or more different students. It isn't exactly that area, but very close. Apparently, you can turn a nifty profit, and the 'covert student dorm' or whatever the locals call it are increasing. Let me see if I can find one of their web pages protesting it....

Eh, here is one...a bit dramatic, but I understand it is becoming more than just a minor irritation:
http://stopstealthdorms.com/background/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin