Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM

198 posts, read 397,807 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to put our house up for sale and having a problem figuring out what to do with our dog. We have a 7 pound chihuahua mix that is house trained and has free reign of the house and backyard (thru a doggie door) when we are at work. We won't lock her in the backyard with the rising temperatures and we are against crating a house trained dog for 8hrs a day. The only option we have is taking her to doggie daycare everyday but at $20+ a day, that will quickly add up. But I guess that's what we'll have to do.

Our realtor said that we could stipulate that the house can only be shown by appointment only but would limit our showings.

Austin is a huge dog and pet city so I'm wondering what other sellers have done? Or if you've recently been house hunting, did a by appointment only house turn you off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM

50 posts, read 191,008 times
As a former real estate agent and home buyer, if the listing looked great and the price was right, we'd give "by appointment only" houses a call but if they couldn't accommodate a same day or next day visit, it was a big turn off. Most houses with pets either had no sign of them because the owners removed them from the house or they were crated or in the backyard with a warning in the listing about a dog. I know people who have had flexible dog walkers/neighbors/friends who they could call on short notice to remove the dog from the premises.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the dog to doggie daycare during the first couple of weeks the house is on the market, when it's likely to get the most interest. After that, you could probably go to "by appointment only". In the end, you have to decide if the doggie daycare cost is worth getting your house possibly sold faster and at a higher price.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
As hot as the housing market is here I would not worry about insisting on showings by appointment only, unless you are desperate to sell quickly.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankey View Post
As a former real estate agent and home buyer, if the listing looked great and the price was right, we'd give "by appointment only" houses a call but if they couldn't accommodate a same day or next day visit, it was a big turn off. Most houses with pets either had no sign of them because the owners removed them from the house or they were crated or in the backyard with a warning in the listing about a dog. I know people who have had flexible dog walkers/neighbors/friends who they could call on short notice to remove the dog from the premises.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the dog to doggie daycare during the first couple of weeks the house is on the market, when it's likely to get the most interest. After that, you could probably go to "by appointment only". In the end, you have to decide if the doggie daycare cost is worth getting your house possibly sold faster and at a higher price.
Thats what we were thinking- doggie daycare for the first couple weeks and then by appointment depending on how many people have come by.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
Just don't put them in the house photos. I was looking at a house on the MLS the other day, and the master bedroom photo included a large lounging dog lying on the carpet! It was a turnoff for me. Not sure why people think that is cute!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
I'll just say the very nice Drees home we're in had a little pup called Mocha IN THE HOUSE WHEN WE VIEWED IT. Super cute little dog. We bought the house.

Unless you're across the street waiting and watching, I wouldn't recommend leaving the pup inside. But I think it goes to show that the 'art' of selling a home has few absolutes.(House was not staged...nearly empty upstairs).

Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
I've looked a lot of homes and never viewed a home with a dog inside. The one we bought had one very lazy, very sweet retriever in the garage (last April). No barking, no jumping, barely any interest in us at all. Anything more, let alone a dog inside the house, would have been a major turn-off.

We we sold our house, we sucked it up and took our dog to day care. And our dog IS crated and does well with it.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,688 times
My wife and I like dogs, but aren't comfortable when they start climbing up on us, etc. So, if a dog is free in the house or backyard, we will most likely be focused on the dog's movements instead of checking out the house.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
This is a real reach; but stranger things have happened...DW and I visit pups(and cats) for a pet sitting service and could schedule a visit(walk) to coordinate with a showing on a 'one-off' type of situation. Might cost a few bucks OR if you had a neighbor available, perhaps they could take the critter during specific hours.

It would be tough to clear the pup out for every hour the house 'might' be shown; but for a particular appointment, it might be workable to hire a sitter(hopefully, the weather would allow for a long walk).

I reckon we'll be facing similar challenges when our house hits the market soon. Fortunately, our schedules are flexible enough to take the Katie-girl with us as needed(although, clearing her out of the house for the whole day would be tricky).

Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I've looked a lot of homes and never viewed a home with a dog inside. The one we bought had one very lazy, very sweet retriever in the garage (last April). No barking, no jumping, barely any interest in us at all. Anything more, let alone a dog inside the house, would have been a major turn-off.

We we sold our house, we sucked it up and took our dog to day care. And our dog IS crated and does well with it.
I've seen pictures as well with either dogs in it or obvious signs of one- big crate in the room, dog bowls in the kitchen. Don't know why people don't get it....
Thanks for the tips, we'll be taking her to daycare everyday, hopefully the house sells quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: