Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM

111 posts, read 137,210 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time deciding which school district to try to live in this fall when my kids starts K. We don't live in the area. All of the schools listed above are in the 7-10 range for ratings on greatschools -- how much do those ratings mean? Any thoughts on these schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
Are you moving to Portland or is it Austin again?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,253 times
School attendance decision depends on how much you want to spend on housing-- you can rent in any district, but home purchase will most likely keep your child in the same elementary for several years. All four schools are under enrolled and Zilker and Barton Hills are always under the threat of being closed. All four are fine for K-3, differences come after third grade when math, reading and writing are taught.

Take a tour of each school, each has a different "personality" and all are older campuses. The Maplewood area is very different than that of Mathews, Barton Hills, or Zilker. Parents really love their schools in Austin, talk to PTA members about their views.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM

It's definitely Austin! We've had a lot of ups and downs and changes of mind, but it's definitely Austin.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Travis Heights Elementary is now an in-district charter, might be worth checking out! Also has dual language if you are interested in that and every kid learns some Korean!

SCHOOL

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Interesting! I hadn't considered Travis Heights Elementary! I think it's too late to apply for dual language (otherwise I would be definitely interested). I don't see anything about Korean on the school website (yet?) but would love to find out more! Maybe I'll call the school.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM

The Korean Cultural Exchange program is mentioned (but without much further explanatio) on the school website I linked to in the previous post.

As someone entering the district from out-of-state, you might have different deadlines then existing residents, if you are interested in dual lg, definitely call and ask. If you want to talk to current parents, send me a DM and I can hook you up.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the central Austin schools that you mentioned, good luck! the biggest trick will be finding a house or rental, the real estate market is red hot right now.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times
Hate to be the curmudgeon here, but if it were my kids, there is no way I would pick Travis Heights over the other ones. The problem isn't TH Elem, per se, (although you have to note it went from Recognized to AA in the latest year - not a positive trend). It is the track it is on vs. the others. TH tracks to Fulmore MS and Travis HS, which are dumpster fires compared to O. Henry MS (my daughter's alma mater) and Austin HS (the Bush daughters' alma mater) where the others track. Sixth grade will be here before you know it, and even if you move then, why disrupt your kid's life if you don't have to?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM

But THE has an excellent record of sending kids to middle magnet programs (Kealing, Fulmore, Lamar, Ann Richards) and then on to HS magnets as well.

No doubt the Barton Hills/Zilker track has appeal due to OHenry and AHS and Maplewood will track to McCallum but there are lots of options when you are in AISD.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM

64 posts, read 131,817 times
Everyone is mentioning the tracks. Maplewood is the one I wouldn't send my kids too just because it is on the East Side. Nothing wrong with Maplewood Elementary itself, with nothing wrong with McCallum. Kealing Middle is a little on the risque side. My biggest concern is the obvious much closer proximity to Reagan High School and the scare that what if Maplewood was rezoned to Reagan. As the Mueller development continues to grow it sits zoned to two different elementaries each zoned to different middle and high schools. There is also an idea that an elementary school will be built for the development later down the road, and although your kid may never experience that elementary schools that school may have the area zoned to Reagan and you will no longer have McCallum to send your kid to. Something to keep in mind. One man had three kids and never moved when living in Cedar Park but because of the growth of that area all of his kids graduated from different high schools because of the rezoning of a developing area. The East side is going through development and it isn't as much as a safe bet as the more developed areas east of 1-35.

You can always intend on your kid attending a magnet program if you send your kid to Travis Heights, but what if they really want to be with their friends and really want to stay with Fulmore and Travis High Schools, make sure the alternative is still something you would be happy with either those schools or a angered child.

I would look into Lee elementary. Another good school in the central Austin area and though does to go to Kealing, it will always stay on track to going to McCallum. Inventory may be low though.

Bryker woods is a FANTASTIC elementary and has O. Henry and Austin High to follow, nothing wrong with that. Mathews is another great school, going to have low inventory though and expensive at that but anything on track to O. Henry and Austin high at the elementary level will be good. Most of those schools are unfornatnly transfered but 'zoned' kids and 'transfered' kids tend not to interact outside of classrooms. The O. Henry zoned elementary schools are Casis (most likely out of your price range, and very low rentals), certain parts of Oak Hill (not central though, and the part of Oak Hill zoned for O. Henry will also be out of your price range, possibly), Zilker, Barton Hills, Bryker Woods, Mathews.

Central Middle schools would be Lamar, O. Henry, Fulmore, and Kealing (of the schools you are looking at, I am going to assume Martin is not on your radar). I would feel fine at Lamar and O. Henry for my kids personally (whenever that day comes) but Fulmore and Kealing I would suggest magnet programs be the way they attend.

High Schools: Austin High, McCallum, and Travis. Travis I would not send my kids too. Austin High and McCallum are very diverse which I find a plus, but kids who live West of I-35 tend to have no problem focusing on school. The reason these schools have problems is low parent involvement from the parents of kids who live East of 1-35. Both schools have a lot of kids from both sides of the highway. My two cents is Bryker Woods, Mathews, Zilker, Barton Hills, and Lee will be superior for kids education to Maplewood and Travis Heights.

Last edited by cwl1994; 05-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: More information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin