Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,866 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm freaking out about moving now. I'm still going to though. I haven't been able to find a new job where I live and dont want to put anymore wear-and-tear on my vehicle before I move. The only employment I can find is about 45 miles ways, which means I'm averaging 100 miles on the car a day which i dont want to do. Ive secured $3000 for the move but I'm freaking out because I figure I have rent, utilities, and gas expenses once I get to Austin. Not to mention the tuition bills and books for school. I'm wondering about the job market in Northwest Austin. Thats where Im looking to move. I'm an undergraduate business/management student with a concentration in management information systems. I have some experience in insurance. Anyway, I'm just wondering if theres a lot going on in Northwest Austin. I need to get a job immediately. I'll wait tables, etc. I just want to know if there are potential employers for me or if I will have to communte downtown or something. I'm not going to be picky about employment but I want to keep my sanity while I await the move.
Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,951 times
Austin isn't California. There are plenty of jobs within a 10 mile radius of NW Austin. There is no need to freak out, we have great employment rates here. You need to do some job research.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
I agree w/llkltk. Tech, Engineering (and I'm sure some other specialties) are the only types that are difficult to find here in Austin, and that's mostly because of competition for the smallish amount of positions.

Service industry, Healthcare, and government jobs are easy to find all over the city.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
If you are open to waiting tables, there is a restaurant row along 183 N starting around Braker and heading waaay up along the hwy. Chuys, Joe's Crab Shack, Rudy's, Bone Daddy's, Friday's, and about every chain you can think off. Also, 10 miles takes you a long way in Austin, so that would get you to Papaduex, Papasitos, Houston's and a few other places with a little higher dollar menu. There are local places, too, such as Kerby Lane, Trudy's, or Reales. Working at a restaurant that closes ~10 or 11, as a part-time job, should net you and average of 50-75 a shift for a 'typical' place, with busy nights going over 100. High dollar places (PF Changs downtown) can do 200/night, and late night places (Trudy's/Friday's) will clear more, too, but harder to get up in the morning.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
Also on the waiting tables front - the River Place country club is always looking for waitstaff and stuff. www.riverplaceclub.com for directions.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,126 times
Some personal advice.....don't sweat it so much. Everything will work out fine. No need
to get desperate and take anything either, as there are much better jobs than waiting
on tables here, that you can do anywhere. Get on the job boards, get around and mix
in Austin, and things will fall in place.....

Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Personally, I spent ten years (off and on) waiting tables, and it was the best job I ever had (except for the money, of course). It is easy once you learn the system, you don't take job stress home with you, flexible schedule (worked evenings, played days), and you meet some really..."interesting"...people .

Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I agree w/llkltk. Tech, Engineering (and I'm sure some other specialties) are the only types that are difficult to find here in Austin, and that's mostly because of competition for the smallish amount of positions.
I wouldn't say that about engineering. There is a severe shortage of engineers (especially civil) in Austin. I worked for one of the highest rated engineering firms for employee satisfaction, we do huge interesting projects (just redesigned and rebuilt the pumps in NOLA), we pay above market, and we have trouble finding engineers to even interview, much less hire. Every other engineering firm is having the same problem.

P.S., if you're an engineer, PM me and you could have a job in less than 2 weeks.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,526 times
Hi, my family has the same problem. We are planning to move to Austin. In fact, we couldn't wait to move to Austin. But the only problem is, my husband needs to find a job first. He is a design engineer, focusing on commercial and residential building. He has 5 years experiences, please if anyone can help him get a job in Austin. We will be gratetful !!!!!!! My husband is having problem finding engineered company that fit with his job description. Most of the engineer company in Austin is looking for sewer or environment engineering background. Please help, any references will be appreciated. ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin