Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,286,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Robertos Taco Shop Roberto's Mex (Beware former San Diegan's when clicking on this link as the home page has both carne asada and rolled tacos with guac pictured which could make you very hungry and nostalgic)
El Indio mordiditas! Machaca con huevos, machaca burritos...

My south Texan mother comes out to visit. I am chowing down on a Cali-style enchilada plate with shredded lettuce on top (not uncommon here now, but not so much in the 80s) - she looks on in disgust and says "You have been living out here much too long".

Cali-style Mexican food could be a winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM

844 posts, read 2,022,501 times
Don't people have a particular style of food they're good at and then start a food cart to sell that? This seems like "putting the cart before the food", if you will.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Don't people have a particular style of food they're good at and then start a food cart to sell that? This seems like "putting the cart before the food", if you will.
If there are very few food carts around, then doing "what you're good at" can be a successful formula.

But when there are lots of food carts around, and a lot of them are already selling the same thing you are thinking of, then selling something else, something unique, can be the winning strategy.

There must be at least 50 carts in Austin selling tacos al pastor (yawn), but only one sells takoyaki (Japanese octopus balls, the traditional Japanese late night hangover preventative). The young couple that runs Love Balls has THAT market all sewed up.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM

83 posts, read 99,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
We can make lots of different kinds of food.....and pretty well (according to friends, family, and strangers, alike). We have experimented and practiced our entire lives, professionally and on our own time, and want to do this because we enjoy food and making food that others want to eat more, and more of. We make at least one new recipe, each weekend. This is what we do for fun and to have an excuse to invite friends over, often. We are flexible in styles of food we can make. This is why we are asking what the people of Austin feel is missing. We don't want to be like every other food truck or cart. We don't want to be the 5th place within a 5 block radius that has a chicken bento (not that I don't love a good chicken bento). We plan to take the desired flavors and dishes and make them well (with quality ingredients), then take that theme and build off it to create fun, delicious additions for the more adventurous flavor seekers. We have lots of time to figure it out, but want to know what to start playing with and perfecting, for when the time comes.....it's a process.

California style Mexican is a great idea, since I lived in San Diego for several years in the 1990s and early 2000s, I had the opportunity to eat LOTS of tacos and get to know some of the owners of my favorite taco shops. They were gracious enough to give me some tips and share some recipes with me. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Just occurred to me... NOBODY is doing Hawaiian plate lunch. I'll bet Austin would love it. Loco Moco, Poke, Kalua Pig, Saimin.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,719,540 times
That's true. The closest Hawaiian is in Killeen.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,531,043 times
Are food carts regulated by the health department the same way restaurants are? As much as I like the idea of food carts in theory, I'm unwilling to try them out of concern for whether they're actually safe.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,286,598 times
Default Not sure about "carts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Are food carts regulated by the health department the same way restaurants are? As much as I like the idea of food carts in theory, I'm unwilling to try them out of concern for whether they're actually safe.
The trucks have health inspections just like any brick and mortar place. As far as "carts", like Best Wurst, not sure. But would guess yes as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,580,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
California style Mexican is a great idea, since I lived in San Diego for several years in the 1990s and early 2000s, I had the opportunity to eat LOTS of tacos and get to know some of the owners of my favorite taco shops. They were gracious enough to give me some tips and share some recipes with me. Thanks!
Yes, I don't think that tacos are even needed (unless they are rolled tacos) as there is a taco shop on every corner here. There just isn't a place where you can get a huge carne asada burrito. One of the other Robledo sons runs a smaller set of Roberto's restaurants in North San Diego County and even has a couple of food trucks now (one at Camp Pendleton). Their prices have increased over the years, but they seem to still be doing well.

Roberto's North County San Diego

As far as location goes in Austin, the South First/So Co area is filled with food trailers, but the North suburbs are trying to increase their presence now. There are plans to have a little food trailer park in Avery Ranch and there are already some on the other side of Round Rock. Even a Rubio's clone ala baja style Mexican food is lacking in the Austin area. Most of us I think have adjusted to Tex-Mex style food and love it as well, but I think the option of West Coast style Mexican food is definitely wanted in the area.

*Edit* - It does look like someone is doing this in Irving, TX with a physical location and even named it "San Diego Tacos Shop". And of course everyone raves about the carne asada. http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-diego-tacos-shop-irving

Here is a good write-up about the differences in styles on their website (Cal-Mex vs. Tex-Mex): http://www.letseat.at/sandiegotacoss...mex-vs-tex-mex

Last edited by mark311; 03-05-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,746,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The trucks have health inspections just like any brick and mortar place. As far as "carts", like Best Wurst, not sure. But would guess yes as well.
Supposedly, yet I can't find any carts listed when I do a search for my zip code.

City of Austin - Restaurant Inspection Scores

I also know that in the recent past there was a single inspector for all the carts in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin