Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 13,338 times

Advertisements

Hey guys -

Very helpful thread. We are in a similar boat where we are considering moving to Austin given that it has a large technology presence and growth. I'm in middle management and my husband is in leadership (Sr Dir. for a fortune 50 company). Any insights on the latest job market for tech leadership jobs would be great.
We are have 2 kids that will be starting KG shortly.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Sri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 13,338 times
Hey guys -

Very helpful thread. We are in a similar boat where we are considering moving to Austin given that it has a large technology presence and growth. I'm in middle management and my husband is in leadership (Sr Dir. for a fortune 50 company). Any insights on the latest job market for tech leadership jobs would be great.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Sri.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
No one in SV (or anywhere else) generates serious personal net worth from mere salaries...it's stock comp (and no one knows what stock comp is eventually worth at a nascent GOOGL, etc) that drives wealth creation in SV...that's part of why Aus hasn't created serious new net worth in >25yrs (same could be argued for one-company Seatt)

What high-comp (>$1MM/yr) jobs of SV BigTech or start-ups are in TX? No doubt, TX is world's most efficient back-office: DFW for non-tech cos. and Aus for SV BigTech but why no valuable tech cos. created in TX in past 30+yrs??? Or in Seatt in past 20+ yrs?....though both enjoy 0% state inc tax advantage over commie CA

What does land cost in most elite areas of Aus (or Seatt's Medina) vs Atherton/Woodside?

Real world IQ/arithmetic test for those who seek to maximize personal net worth at youngest age possible in place with most civilized climate/topography, etc....nominal stuff like salaries, avg house prices, alleged avg COL, etc tend to be for average suckers....

Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srilatk View Post
Hey guys -

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Sri.
austin is sorely lacking in management. The issue is many of the companies dont realize it and may not be competent to hire for it.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:40 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I seriously doubt you would suffer on 160k in Austin. That's a higher salary than a lot of people around here see. The cost of living is lower as well.
Exactly. There is a lot of inexpensive housing in North Austin near Roundrock. Or some IT workers like to split between projects in Austin and San Antonio and live halfway in between. I love Austin and San Antonio. There was a shortage of developers when I was there five years ago. I still get calls or emails to go back.
I almost went back to San Antonio in March but quickly got hired in Phoenix so moved here instead.

One great story was about an MBA graduate in huge debt who paid it off quickly while working in Austin.
MBA Repays $100,000 Student Loan in 7 Months. Smart Move?

I worked one summer in the Bay Area. It's brutally expensive and congested.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM

122 posts, read 95,189 times
I think the company that I work for is pretty similar to many established ones in the area. I am a manager in IT and we are always looking at entry to mid level people but the management layer is fairly static although we did just hire someone to start and manage a PMO as a brand new position. The company policy is to promote from within wherever possible so that can work against you as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC70 View Post
I'm at the age where some of the people I worked with after college are moving into those type of management positions, and getting away from the engineering/coding aspect of the job. While I would enjoy the salary, I just don't think I would enjoy being a "layer". I like staring at code even if it keeps me from the top of the salary ladder.
Take it from me; stay close to the code. I moved into management because I needed to make more money, but I miss the code so much. I will get in and write something occasionally when I can, just because it's what I truly love doing, but I should have never left that world. It's the only thing I've ever done where it felt like I'm getting paid to have fun. Management, not so much.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Take it from me; stay close to the code. I moved into management because I needed to make more money, but I miss the code so much. I will get in and write something occasionally when I can, just because it's what I truly love doing, but I should have never left that world. It's the only thing I've ever done where it felt like I'm getting paid to have fun. Management, not so much.
I run my own company and I miss code a lot too. Im trying to get out of management as well and get back into coding.

These days I do my day job and then stay up late at night working on a startup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin