Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread but I think it might get buried before anyone responds so I'm posting a new thread.

-------

I'm moving from Atlanta and am torn between 2 neighborhoods. After reading a number of posts here, I'm still not sure. I keep flip-floppin.

NW - Spicewood Elementary. Balcones. Like the IB program. Like that my daughter will learn a language. Bit too stuffy feeling/golf course community. Bad traffic to downtown? Good commute if we worked at Dell. More expensive houses. Didn't see many kids out in driveways or yards or riding bikes. Seems to be older, maybe retired?

Is this a more conservative, possibly religious area?

SW - Baranoff Elementary. Shady Hollow. Don't know much about the school other than the high ratings. Really like the older homes on big lots and it's more affordable. Commute would suck if we had to drive to Dell. Close to Central Market South and not a bad drive to WF HQ. Saw lots of kids running around and riding bikes.

SW seems like it's more go-with-the-flow and non-judgemental. Although Circle C seems a little questionable. Haven't checked out the neighborhoods north of Circle C -- my last trip to Austin I focused on Shady Hollow.

Anyway, looking for some advice. We were almost sold on the NW based on Spicewood Elementary being one of two IB elementaries but after reading about the religious tone of Williamson county, we're thinking maybe our hippy-dippy selves would fare better in the SW.

We're not church goers but if we did, we'd go to the Unitarian. Seems like a good way to meet new folks when you move somewhere new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 AM

147 posts, read 572,506 times
Two years ago we lived in Oak Parke. It's the neighborhood right at the intersection of Brodie and Slaughter. Right by Bowie High School.

My daughter went to Baranoff for for three years. It's a very good school. But the reason we moved is because that area is growing and the school's population is changing. Also, Baranoff feeds into Baily Middle School. Circle C, will be getting a new Middle School soon, and the the Circle C kids will no longer go to Bailey, again, changing the population. We don't see the change as a good one.

Also. Brodie Lane is a traffic nightmare.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the population change? Why would the Circle C kids moving into a different middle school matter so much?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:22 PM

44 posts, read 270,530 times
Population change? can you clarify?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 37,646 times
Default I have a child in Bailey and one in Baranoff

First of all-- I love Baranoff Elementary. Love it. I have one child with ADHD who recieves special education services at Baranoff. Now that child is at Bailey. I have a 3rd Grader at Baranoff. I LOVE that school. In fact-- I would like to leave the neighborood for a larger home and one of the reasons I hesitate to leave is that I really would hat to leave Baranoff. ( I live in Shady Hollow Estates)

Bailey seems to be a good school as well. I have a 6th grader there. ( my adhd child) It was hard adjusting to middle school. But from my experience -- the teachers and vice principle seem to be SUPER ON TOP of EVERYTHING.

( dont know anything about the schools up north) but I dont think you can go wrong at Baranoff.

As far as Circle C kids leaving Bailey. Look. ( I think that the other poster meant that that would be a lot of upper class families that are leaving the community) I dont think it was a snobbery thing -- but rather -- a group of kids that is striving for the top and a very involved group of parents will be leaving the middle school.

I am not sure how many elementaries feed into Bailey. But That's my take.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 37,646 times
Default About the Unitarian--

Check out Unity Church of the Hills. I am in Shady Hollow area. But on Sundays I go all the way north to Unity. Pretty cool.

I think all the suburbs are a little conservative for my liking. If you are looking for something a little more liberal-- you need to be in central Austin. There are some more liberal open thinkers in the burbs. But there are also a lot of people out there with thier "W" stickers still on thier cars.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denadavis View Post
But there are also a lot of people out there with thier "W" stickers still on thier cars.
Guess they wouldn't take too kindly to my "Impeach Bush" sticker then?

I will check out the church, thanks for the tip!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM

314 posts, read 1,230,058 times
Default Go for the short commute

I live in Shady Hollow and love it, but I think you should make your neighborhood decision based on where you are going to work. Brodie is not that bad (it takes 10 minutes to make it all the way from Slaughter to Frate Barker in traffic compared to 3 minutes without traffic).

If you are going to be at Dell, you need to live up north. I have liberal friends who live up north and love their neighborhoods. I have conservative friends who live down south and love their neighborhoods.

Just on my cul-de-sac, we have a huge mix of conservative - liberal - vegetarians - Christians - non Christians. We all get along great because everyone is just so nice, and I think much of Austin is the same.

We chose South Austin because my husband works off of Southwest Parkway. He works with others who live up North and have horrible commutes and miss out on time with their families.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
I agree with the other poster about living in the general area that you are working in. Leander isd is also going to have an IB elem program nest year I believe when it starts. I live in Leander and have met lots of liberals, seen lots of lesbians and no one seems to make any todo about it. Really seems like they could care less...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: