Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 7,896 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

Greetings from freezing cold England....

I'm going to be in Dallas on business in early January, and have tagged on a weekend at the end of my trip to drive down and visit Austin. Not only is one of my music heroes (Stevie Ray Vaughan) from Austin, I've noticed that the Texas Stars have 2 home games that weekend, and being a hockey nut it sounds like an ideal time to visit!

I'll be in Austin from 11-13 Jan, so was looking for some advice on where to stay. I'll have a car, so will be able to drive around, but I quite like the idea of being close to downtown, so that I can walk around and explore without the hassle of driving (you guys still drive on the wrong side of the street ) and without trying to find parking.

My budget is up to $200 a night, and I don't mind whether I stay in a hotel or a (nice quality) B&B. I'd spotted the Courtyard Marriott Northwest/Aboretum, and that looks pretty good (and I collect Marriott points), but wanted to get some local knowledge from here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM

44 posts, read 45,732 times
Hey Mark-

Brit Hockey fan! Very cool

Pretty sure there is a Courtyard Marriott right downtown on 4th St. Walking distance to 6th street and the Rainey St District if you're into nightlife and also a few blocks from the 2nd St/Warehouse District.

The Arboretum area is 15 or so minutes away(sans traffic). Nice enough area but probably not what you're looking for.

The Kimber Modern and Hotel San Jose on South Congress are both nice if you're willing to spend a tad more as an alternative to downtown
Walkable area and just across the bridge from downtown.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,654,319 times
Yes, if you can stretch your budget a little, Hotel San Jose is a very nice boutique hotel, right in the heart of the S. Congress action, a short walk to several very good restaurants, and The Continental Club, a legendary live music club.

https://www.sanjosehotel.com/index2.php

Welcome to the Continental Club

If you are a little more adventurous, just a block away is an Austin icon, the Austin Motel, which is in your price range and would give you a uniquely Austin experience. It's very eclectic, popular with a younger crowd than the Marriott.

Welcome to the Austin Motel

Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoo View Post
Hey Mark-

Brit Hockey fan! Very cool

Pretty sure there is a Courtyard Marriott right downtown on 4th St. Walking distance to 6th street and the Rainey St District if you're into nightlife and also a few blocks from the 2nd St/Warehouse District.

The Arboretum area is 15 or so minutes away(sans traffic). Nice enough area but probably not what you're looking for.

The Kimber Modern and Hotel San Jose on South Congress are both nice if you're willing to spend a tad more as an alternative to downtown
Walkable area and just across the bridge from downtown.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the areas - that's really useful. I'll aim for a little closer to downtown then. I figure that I'd rather be within walking distance to shops & restaurants and have to drive to the hockey arena, rather than the other way around.

Oh, and it'll be nice to actually watch a hockey game for once, rather than view it from behind a camera - I'm the photographer for one of the teams here in the UK (Mark Tredgold's Photos).

Cheers

Mark.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, if you can stretch your budget a little, Hotel San Jose is a very nice boutique hotel, right in the heart of the S. Congress action, a short walk to several very good restaurants, and The Continental Club, a legendary live music club.

https://www.sanjosehotel.com/index2.php

Welcome to the Continental Club

If you are a little more adventurous, just a block away is an Austin icon, the Austin Motel, which is in your price range and would give you a uniquely Austin experience. It's very eclectic, popular with a younger crowd than the Marriott.

Welcome to the Austin Motel
Thanks for the info, particularly regarding the Continental Club - that's exactly the kind of place I was wanting to find.

Thanks again

Mark.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 AM

254 posts, read 437,334 times
We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel on Congress earlier this year and loved it. It's right at the top of your budget with rooms starting at $190. But if you can afford a couple extra bucks, or find a discount, it's worth it.

Stephen F. Austin Luxury Hotel in Austin, UNITED STATES | InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Official

Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,735,777 times
Hotels in US are zillion times better then hotels in UK. Even for 80 dollars per night, its a much much better deal then any 100 pounder in UK.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Hotels in US are zillion times better then hotels in UK. Even for 80 dollars per night, its a much much better deal then any 100 pounder in UK.
Agreed - I travel quite a lot in the US with work, and there's no comparison between UK and US hotels in terms of value for money. The Marriott I usually stay in when in Dallas would cost 2 or 3 times more if it was in the UK....

And don't even get me started on the differences in customer service in shops, restaurants, bars etc etc

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,654,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredders View Post
Thanks for the info, particularly regarding the Continental Club - that's exactly the kind of place I was wanting to find.
Two more iconic Austin live music venues that are convenient to the South Congress area are Antone's, and Threadgill's. Antone's is primarily a Blues and Rock venue. Threadgill's is primarily a Country and Rock venue. Threadgill's South has an extensive collection of poster art and photos from the heyday of the Cosmic Cowboys era, The Armadillo World Headquarters in the 1970s

Antones

THREADGILL'S

Note that Threadgill's has two locations, and on Sundays does a Brunch from 10 - 1 that features live music. The South Store features Gospel music, often Texas style with big hats and guitars and all; while the North Store features Bluegrass music.

Both have online booking calendars, like the Continental Club, so you can check out who's playing.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,001,585 times
Welcome to Austin! While you're here I recommend checking out Rainey Street (full of old homes converted into bars) and South Congress Avenue which is a broad avenue with hip shops and restaurants. East 6th Street is more for the younger crowd but still might be worth checking out. The place is packed on Friday/Saturday nights.

That's really awesome that you're into hockey! Austin (and Texas) is more of an American football town but I'm sure you'll have a blast at the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin