Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM

20 posts, read 33,704 times

Advertisements

Total boating newb here. I want to get a small boat that can hold about 4 people. Or possibly Waverunners/Jet Skis

Do I need a permit to boat on Lake Travis? I know there's a launching dock up there at Steiner Ranch.. do people jump of the boats and swim up around this area? is there any laws requiring life vests, etc.

I just read that I can buy a fishing license at HEB if I wanted to fish...

Ideally I'd also like to get a boat and launch from under the 620 bridge... that looks like fun.

Maybe I'll start by renting one to see if I like it enough to drop 2-3K on something that would get me started
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
The boat launch from Steiner is for Lake Austin not Travis. You can get to Lake Travis via Mansfield Dam Park. If you are launching from Steiner (Lake Austin) please be aware of the hydrilla, there is tons of it and you could possibly be drowned if you swam in there.

Lake Travis is safe for swimming around but the water temp is way too cool for my tastes right now.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Lake Travis is a warmer lake than Lake Austin, as Lake Austin is fed from the bottom of Lake Travis. But, yes, both are cold right now, Lake Travis warms considerably in the Spring.

You need insurance on whatever you end up buying, and then you just pay to launch, or you pay for a yearly pass for all Travis County parks, which will save a lot of money if you plan on going often.

Yes, you can swim in both Lakes, but just be careful and mindful of others. Don't park your boat in the middle and expect everyone to go around you. Keep to one side or the other.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 33,704 times
So I need to get boat insurance similar to auto insurance? Also, what is the 'pay to launch'?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
The law doesn't require insurance on your boat - common sense may!

Every boat ramp charges a fee to launch your boat and park your trailer. The TX parks allow you to buy an annual pass that covers this use. If you're using them frequently, it's a good deal. A 2-3K boat will run you 3 to 4 times that in repairs and service costs.

Since you've never owned a boat before, I'd strongly recommend renting one a few times first, then looking into one of the boat clubs if you want more regular use. On Travis, I'd consider a 19' boat the absolute minimum for comfort - and a 22' on busy weekends (it gets pretty choppy, and the small boats will get knocked around quite a bit).

Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Just about all watercraft used on public waters in Texas must be registered, which is purchased from Texas Parks and Wildlife. You will be issued a sticker that is attached to both sides of the hull.

TPWD: FAQ - Boat Registration and Titles

Personal Watercraft ("jetskis") rules:

TPWD: Personal Watercraft Operation and Regulations

You can buy a fishing license at many places, especially sporting good stores such as Academy.

There are currently no public boat ramps operating on Lake Travis due to the low water level. If you could get on the lake (via a private ramp) the lake is very nice and usable. The water is clear and the surface temperature is 65F. Definitely cool.

Boating on Lake Austin is both easier and more difficult than Lake Travis. Easier because of the constant lake level, but more difficult because it is narrow. Don't do stupid stuff like stop your ski boat right in the way of others.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXhomeSeeker View Post
Total boating newb here. I want to get a small boat that can hold about 4 people. Or possibly Waverunners/Jet Skis

Boating is definitely the best way to enjoy our hot summers here in Central Texas.

Do I need a permit to boat on Lake Travis?

No permit required, although a boating safety course is recommended. TPWD:Boater Education Life vests are required for children.

I know there's a launching dock up there at Steiner Ranch.. do people jump of the boats and swim up around this area? is there any laws requiring life vests, etc.

You can't get from any Steiner Ranch(Lake Austin) to Lake Travis on the water. Mansfield Dam is in the way. There are several public parks and private marinas that will allow you to launch for a fee at their facilities. Boating insurance is recommended, I had numerous close calls with drunk power boaters on Lake Travis, I recommend it.

Ideally I'd also like to get a boat and launch from under the 620 bridge... that looks like fun.

Again there is probably a fee involved. Friends who kept a boat in a slip on Lake Austin said it quickly grew boring, because there wasn't that much to see. You could motor up stream or down stream, but there were few places to stop and anchor for a swim or even go ashore for lunch. Lake Travis offers much more variety in that regard. There are several places such as Yacht Harbor which will allow you to store your boat there and launch it from thier boat ramp when the water level is high enough. I don't think it has been high enough for the last 2 years with the drought.

Renting first is a good idea.

Note: some counties have started collecting property tax on boat owners in Texas. It has long been the law that they can but few bothered. Not so any longer.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXhomeSeeker View Post

Do I need a permit to boat on Lake Travis? I know there's a launching dock up there at Steiner Ranch.. do people jump of the boats and swim up around this area? is there any laws requiring life vests, etc.

I just read that I can buy a fishing license at HEB if I wanted to fish...

Maybe I'll start by renting one to see if I like it enough to drop 2-3K on something that would get me started
maybe take a look at the boat clubs (freedom boat club?). They keep a stable of boats and have the boats ready for you to use if you call ahead.

no permit is needed, but your boat needs to be registered. People do swim. the boat has to have vests but you dont have to wear them.

620 bridge is going to be lake austin not lake travis.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
620 bridge is going to be lake austin not lake travis.
Actually the "620 bridge" would be Mansfield Dam so technically the boat launch is on Lake Travis... but I think we're all assuming he meant the 360 bridge, which would be Lake Austin.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Actually the "620 bridge" would be Mansfield Dam so technically the boat launch is on Lake Travis... but I think we're all assuming he meant the 360 bridge, which would be Lake Austin.
The 620 bridge is due south of the dam, thus on Lake Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin