Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,295,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How about this back of the envelope math:

5000 round trips per weekday
25,000 weekday round trips per week
2,500 round trips per weekend
27,500 round trips total per week
1,430,000 round trips per year
$50 round trip ticket price
$35,750,000 annual revenue from ticket sales
$7.2B cost to build the line

201 years to recover the cost of construction

Doesn't include the ongoing cost of operations (somehow I think it will cost many $millions per year to operate). I could see payroll alone between $50M-$100M per year.

A Japanese Shinkansen train typically seats about 800 passengers. To carry 5000 passengers a day, they would need to run 6.25 trains a day.
The French know more about operating HSR than any railway system in the world. Their 2009 proposal to build a 311 mile system from FW to DFW to Dallas to Austin to SA was at $13.8B - all in, including rolling stock. They proposed to run single construct train sets at first - 47/day in each direction, capacity 500. Some would be express FW - Austin, w/ no stops at Waco or Killeen. Others would stop at all, FW - SA. They state they can cover operating costs from day one - no operating subsidies. As ridership grew, in the out years, they could pay off 37% of the original capital costs.

If you have any interest in this, the SNCF proposal I linked to above is fascinating reading - how they calculated the ridership forecast, etc. I do know, that after they started the Paris - Lyon service, they destroyed the air service between the two cities. Everyone took the train. Then did the same thing Paris - Brussels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,754,758 times
Quote:
How about this back of the envelope math:

5000 round trips per weekday
25,000 weekday round trips per week
2,500 round trips per weekend
27,500 round trips total per week
1,430,000 round trips per year
$50 round trip ticket price
$35,750,000 annual revenue from ticket sales
$7.2B cost to build the line

201 years to recover the cost of construction

Doesn't include the ongoing cost of operations (somehow I think it will cost many $millions per year to operate). I could see payroll alone between $50M-$100M per year.

A Japanese Shinkansen train typically seats about 800 passengers. To carry 5000 passengers a day, they would need to run 6.25 trains a day.
So many costs besides the ones you mentioned. Try this!:

"Already, IH 35 through the Austin-San Antonio Corridor is the deadliest and most congested highway in America, with over 100 fatalities a year just in the 110 miles between Georgetown and San Antonio."

.......compared to:

"During the Shinkansen's 45-year, nearly 7 billion-passenger history, there have been no passenger fatalities due to derailments or collisions"

Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,252,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So many costs besides the ones you mentioned. Try this!:

"Already, IH 35 through the Austin-San Antonio Corridor is the deadliest and most congested highway in America, with over 100 fatalities a year just in the 110 miles between Georgetown and San Antonio."

.......compared to:

"During the Shinkansen's 45-year, nearly 7 billion-passenger history, there have been no passenger fatalities due to derailments or collisions"
For reference, I have ridden the Shinkansen, the TGV, and the Acela Express. The first two are terrific systems; none of them are inexpensive by any means to ride.

But I don't believe any HSR system in the US can come remotely close to paying for itself in 20 years.

In Texas, Austin to SA is not the best choice to start with. Dallas-Houston makes far more sense.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,910,130 times
Quote:
For reference, I have ridden the Shinkansen, the TGV, and the Acela Express. The first two are terrific systems; none of them are inexpensive by any means to ride.

But I don't believe any HSR system in the US can come remotely close to paying for itself in 20 years.

In Texas, Austin to SA is not the best choice to start with. Dallas-Houston makes far more sense.
They expected the Midwestern system and Northeastern system to pay off within 10 years....

Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,989,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The French know more about operating HSR than any railway system in the world. Their 2009 proposal to build a 311 mile system from FW to DFW to Dallas to Austin to SA was at $13.8B - all in, including rolling stock.

French interested in Texas high-speed rail | Transportation Blog

states 13.8B construction costs. Not including rolling stock. Not including right of way acquisition (probably the majority of the cost, especially acquiring urban land in Houstin, DFW, Austin, San Antonio where downtown blocks are valued at 10M or more each).

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,989,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They expected the Midwestern system and Northeastern system to pay off within 10 years....
Do you have a source/link for that?

Breaking: SNCF Proposes Development of High-Speed Rail in Midwest, Texas, Florida, and California Corridors « The Transport Politic

Phrases it differently, using the term "Benefits from reduced car and air travel", which I interpret to mean something different from actually paying off bonds.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
French interested in Texas high-speed rail | Transportation Blog

states 13.8B construction costs. Not including rolling stock. Not including right of way acquisition (probably the majority of the cost, especially acquiring urban land in Houstin, DFW, Austin, San Antonio where downtown blocks are valued at 10M or more each).
You need to read the response. The $13.8B figure DOES include rolling stock ($1.1B), DOES include ROW acquisition. They have no intention of acquiring ROW in urban areas. Just as they do in France, at some point outside of the metro area, the trains will switch over to the ordinary rails for the last few miles to the stations.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,169,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I will bet you any amount of money that this doesnt happen.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,910,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I will bet you any amount of money that this doesnt happen.
Its already underway and we have could connecting systems....Rail is embraced in both regions...and integrated into the economy.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 AM

DFW - Houston is on the table WITHOUT a dime of public money.

Private Firm Planning Bullet Trains in Texas by 2020 — Transportation | The Texas Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin