Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

593 posts, read 1,380,160 times

Advertisements

Ima go at this from two angles.

First, i was recently at a public facility with some women of different ethnic backgrounds and there were two women talking (indian and hispanic) then a third woman (anglo) walks up starts talking to the hispanic woman making small talk about where they live etc. the indian women overhears the white woman mention that they both live in the same neighborhood and proceeds to enter the conversation in a friendly manner. Like "we could be friends." the white woman turned, looked her up and down and just turned her back and continued talking to the other woman. RUDE!

Second, there are lots of anglos in austin today bcuz lots of older retired successful baby boomers moved here for good atmosphere and proximity to quality health care. Also, lots of aspiring young college grads stay here to work. Not to mention the college grads that have moved here from baylor, atm, tech, tcu, smu, ntu, shu etc. many of them are anglo and have the resources to get here. Many have desirable skill sets required for high tech jobs or management positions. They are the ones "gentrifying" much of the south and eastsides of town. Many minorities sold their properties and moved away or are located in parts of town you dont see or visit. Moreover, what kind of minorities are you talking about? I see lots of them everyday in austin: black, hispanic and some chinese, japanese, thai, vietnamese, and middle eastern but few indians.

When i go to san antone and htown i see lots of mexican americans, so much so that anglos are the minority. This weekend i was in grapevine and there was nothing but whitefolx. Perhaps you just been in the wrong places/towns?

Your question is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

98 posts, read 187,556 times
what is this *proximity to quality healthcare* that you speak of? SA/Dallas/Houston beats us hands down in that department.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,380,160 times
For a Metroplex of two million, seton, brackenridge, st davids, so austin hosp., seton SW, dell childrens, scott white north, the new hosp. in Kyle and i probably neglected to name a couple of others. Hmmmm, seems like lots of med facilities in close proximity to various parts of centex.

Are they better than houston, dallas, san antone? Well, if i need medical help and i live in austin i dont think i will ask the paramedics to drive me to one of those other cities.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM

98 posts, read 187,556 times
I love it. Throw out the website demographic data, and people get totally absorbed by it.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,323,592 times
I guess Austin is experiencing reverse white flight right now. (Whites moving into DT and AAs moving rapidly to the suburbs). Like I said, fascinating...

Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM

(Note: please don't start arguing about politics, just talk about the demography) Another interesting thing is how each race votes. In Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and I guess Fort Worth too, Whites will vote one way, and the minorities the other way. Whereas in Austin, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians all form a giant coalition and vote the same way, generally speaking of course.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,151,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
Every other major city in Texas like Dallas/Houston/SA /Ft Worth/Waco /Corpus/ seems predominantly minorities. Why is Austin different?
Texas=70% white
Dallas = 50% white
houston = 50% white
corpus = 81% white
san antonio = 72% white
waco = 59%
Austin = 68.3% white
ft worth = 61.1% white

Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I don't know. I would like to know to. And to separate us further, Asians are about to pass African Americans in percentage of population by next years end. Very odd.
Why does it seem odd? Much of the growth in the Austin area in recent years has been due to the concentration of high-tech industries here. Many of these are in partnership with Asian companies. And there are lots of Asian computer engineers, software engineers, etc. while there are relatively few African-Americans in those fields.

Interestingly enough, the US Census reports the percentage of the population recorded as White is slightly lower in Austin than it is in Texas as a whole:

Whites: Austin 68.3% vs Texas 70.4%

Asians: Austin 6.3% vs. Texas 3.8%

Black Persons: Austin 8.1% vs Texas 11.8%

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Why does it seem odd? Much of the growth in the Austin area in recent years has been due to the concentration of high-tech industries here. Many of these are in partnership with Asian companies. And there are lots of Asian computer engineers, software engineers, etc. while there are relatively few African-Americans in those fields.

Interestingly enough, the US Census reports the percentage of the population recorded as White is slightly lower in Austin than it is in Texas as a whole:

Whites: Austin 68.3% vs Texas 70.4%

Asians: Austin 6.3% vs. Texas 3.8%

Black Persons: Austin 8.1% vs Texas 11.8%
I know, but we are not comparing our demographics to that of the state's, we are comparing them to that of the other major Texas cities. And when you compare it to that, Austin is the oddball.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Texas=70% white
Dallas = 50% white
houston = 50% white
corpus = 81% white
san antonio = 72% white
waco = 59%
Austin = 68.3% white
ft worth = 61.1% white
Those are not Non-Hispanic Whites. Check again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin