Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,279 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be moving to Texas in a couple of months. I will be working at Fort Hood and am looking to move somewhere closer to Austin. I would like to get a little separation from the military community. I have a 2 year old daughter and my husband will be in San Antonio for AIT. We are looking for a community that is young, has some culture, and a lot of stuff to do. I would love to be close to a bike path that I can take my daughter on, and a community with a weekly farmer's market would be great. We enjoy all things outdoors and also entertainment and shopping. We will be renting a home and were thinking of looking in the Round Rock/Georgetown area, but really are going in blind. ANy suggestions for communities that might fit this bill? We will be coming down to TX in a couple weeks for a house hunting trip, so we're trying to narrow the search. I would like to keep my commute to Fort Hood to under 40 minutes, if possible. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,836,193 times
To keep the commute under 40 minutes, you're going to be well north of Austin. Even Round Rock and Cedar Park will be over an hour. You could probably do Leander, Liberty Hill, or Georgetown and be about 45-60 minutes depending on where within the communities you pick. Ft. Hood is not "that" close to Austin.

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 07-17-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
There are a lot of folks in your situation living in Georgetown and it would seem to fit your requirements. Depending on where you live in Georgetown, the commute is somewhere around 45 minutes or so, there's two farmer's markets every week, the Goodwater Trail around Lake Georgetown plus San Gabriel Park. There are several neighborhoods that might suit you - Georgetown Village is one that has a school in the community and is a short hop to 195 to commute to Fort Hood.

Round Rock is going to be a longer commute to Ford Hood. Liberty Hill is about 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,072,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There are a lot of folks in your situation living in Georgetown and it would seem to fit your requirements. Depending on where you live in Georgetown, the commute is somewhere around 45 minutes or so, there's two farmer's markets every week, the Goodwater Trail around Lake Georgetown plus San Gabriel Park. There are several neighborhoods that might suit you - Georgetown Village is one that has a school in the community and is a short hop to 195 to commute to Fort Hood.

Round Rock is going to be a longer commute to Ford Hood. Liberty Hill is about 45 minutes to an hour.
I agree. GV was the first neighborhood to pop into my head. Perfect blend of what you need.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,279 times
Thanks! We will check out Georgetown Village when we make the trip. Are there any healthy grocery stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
Well, the HEB on Williams Drive (about five minutes tops from Georgetown Village - from some parts of that community you could walk it) has an organic produce section and another small section that you'll probably hit often with a small selection of bulk grains, nuts, and herbs/spices. Plus, as said, the farmers markets. There's a dairy on 29 east of town that you'll want to check out. No Trader Joe's in the Austin area. The closest Whole Foods is in north Austin, but there's a Sprouts in Round Rock just down I35 at 620.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megannance View Post
Thanks! We will check out Georgetown Village when we make the trip. Are there any healthy grocery stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby?
Sorry, it's nearly 30 miles from there to the closest Whole Foods, in the Arboretum area, and TJs isn't scheduled to open in Austin until 2014.

There's a health food store called The Herbery in Georgetown, and a Sprouts natural food market in Round Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin