Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM

38 posts, read 135,407 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's why I addressed only cBach as my statement addresses what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
cBach, I'm getting the point that those things is all Austin has to offer (according to you).
I think people on this forum have been very generous in sharing a lot of good information with you, despite the challenging, and some might say insulting tone of a couple of your posts.

My suggestion: This would be a good time for you to concentrate on expressing appreciation for all the good shares that have come your way, and to let things slide with those people you irritated enough to push back.

Seriously, it's the warm welcome you want to cultivate here, not the reverse.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 PM

38 posts, read 135,407 times
Some of you are far too touchy. I do appreciate those who aren't and offered ideas, suggestions, etc. Those of you who get irked at such a simple question stand out more.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
Quote:
Some of you are far too touchy. I do appreciate those who aren't and offered ideas, suggestions, etc. Those of you who get irked at such a simple question stand out more.
If you appreciate what people shared, let them know. I haven't seen any real gratitude expressed yet.

And if you find some people are irked with you, I suggest you take some responsibility for the way you presented your complaints, and just let things slide.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,722,425 times
Austin is a very outdoorsy type city with some decent non outdoorsy things to do, but perhaps you could take daytrips to other nearby cities with the girls and your wife. You might actually enjoy some of the things Houston has to offer. I lived there before here and still love going back for visits.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM

732 posts, read 2,128,339 times
Quote:
My wife and I just aren't too fond of topless women "bouncing" about. lol
You've mentioned this in numerous threads and I am still thoroughly confused. I thought perhaps they are lesbians but then dismissed that idea because then both of you should be fond of topless women. So now I am back to still not understanding why you are so disgusted by topless women that you mention it in many threads.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM

499 posts, read 1,307,993 times
People are so reactionary. aleavelle never said he hates parks/pools/hiking/biking, he's just looking for other family activities. Surely it's easier to just suggest some fun things to do rather than trying to make his family less conservative or asking "Y U NO LIKE OUTDOORS?"

Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,799,345 times
I'm guessing that summertime is when you'll be looking for vacation-type activities for the girls you're working with. During the school year, which is right around the corner, their time and yours should be more structured and activities centered around school events, organizations of interest, projects and homework. I know that kept my family busy. In the summer, we got away for a day trip to a theme park or a weekend in Port Aransas occasionally, and a week or two for a vacation every other year. As they got older, they had summer jobs and it was more difficult to coordinate our schedules due to their commitments, but they learned a lot about money management and responsibility by having a job. I don't know if your group is free to leave for camps, but Laity Lodge Youth camp in Leakey, Tx was a wonderful experience for my kids, as were camps sponsored by Young Life. For a while, our house was the place for Young Life Meetings. My kids were involved in school choir, sports and drill team. My job was to support that with my presence at performances and involvement in other ways. Teenage years were a busy time. Also, my children enjoyed involvement in their church youth group, which was very active. Austin may not be the best vacation destination, but it was always a good place to live and raise a family. Opportunities may vary depending upon the profile of the teens you work with, but there are variations on all of the above in Austin and central Texas.

Last edited by capcat; 07-13-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin