Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 34,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Just to add to your nightmare...I was stung by a scorpion in my bed, while I was asleep.
How absolutely horrible.....

Do you mind if I ask what part of Austin you live in? and are you near the countryside or a wooded area? I was really hoping that having scorpions inside people's homes (and even worse, in beds...) would not be an issue if one lives near the city, as opposed to living more on the outskirts of town, near the countryside.

Are all areas in Austin prone to having scorpions and tree roaches inside the houses? I did not have this experience growing up in Buda (when we lived in town), and it was a rural city back then, and it's only 15 min from Austin. I am really surprised to find out that Austin has this whole scorpion problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle23 View Post
How absolutely horrible.....

Do you mind if I ask what part of Austin you live in? and are you near the countryside or a wooded area? I was really hoping that having scorpions inside people's homes (and even worse, in beds...) would not be an issue if one lives near the city, as opposed to living more on the outskirts of town, near the countryside.

Are all areas in Austin prone to having scorpions and tree roaches inside the houses? I did not have this experience growing up in Buda (when we lived in town), and it was a rural city back then, and it's only 15 min from Austin. I am really surprised to find out that Austin has this whole scorpion problem.
I live in Steiner Ranch. I live in one of the older sections, so no construction or anything going on near me. We do back up to a greenbelt, however. We see a scorpion in the house every few months. We only see a tree roach in the house about once a year (thank God). For some reason the tree roaches freak me out WAY more than the other critters. We have also seen tarantulas, but only outside. We've discovered that a good pest control service is crucial. We have them come out quarterly. Makes a huge difference.

Now don't get me started on the snakes...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,464 times
I've never heard of a tree roach and don't really come across anything else, except ants, harmless but annoying ones.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
And don't forget the fire ants. I was bitten several times on my foot yesterday. Wasn't even a mound, just apparently a bunch of them in the grass.
Yep! I washed my car last weekend and stepped off the driveway (wearing sandals) into the grass while hosing down the car and got bit up pretty good. I've had the red welts on my right foot all week - and they are still all there!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM

374 posts, read 982,456 times
Y'all are ignoring the worst of them all - the black widows and brown recluse. You don't see them until it's almost too late usually. The black widows like to crawl into sheets if their still hanging on the line after dark. Make sure you check.

Scorpions are pretty benign unless you allergic. It's basically a bee sting, maybe a wasp. The scorpions like darker areas so always look above the door as you enter a dark shed or outbuilding. They like to drop down your neck. It's important to remember cowboy hats aren't just for keeping sun/rain off you.

Finally, for all these, keep First Aid Insect Sting Relief Pads on you. This takes care of bee, wasp, scorpion, and fireant stings/bites immediately. I would buy them by the 50 ct box because you don't normally only get one bite from fireants.

Amazon.com: First Aid Only Insect Sting Relief Pad, 50-Count Boxes (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
All the times I've ever been bit by fire ants, it's just a quick nip and then nothing afterwards - except for the welts!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 PM

59 posts, read 218,666 times
A couple evenings ago when I was taking my dog outside, I saw what I thought was a snake crawling nearby under a tree, but looking further it was a giant redheaded Texas centipede. It was at least 1 foot long and quite wide. It was really creepy seeing that. They are quite poisonous from what I hear. This was located in Round Rock. This was the first, and hopefully last time, I see one.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,792 times
I've lived in many part of Austin, and I've seen tree roaches everywhere. They often figure out ways to get inside dwellings too. Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with scorpions yet.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cckhek View Post
A couple evenings ago when I was taking my dog outside, I saw what I thought was a snake crawling nearby under a tree, but looking further it was a giant redheaded Texas centipede. It was at least 1 foot long and quite wide. It was really creepy seeing that. They are quite poisonous from what I hear. This was located in Round Rock. This was the first, and hopefully last time, I see one.
Ya' know, I'm not really a squeamish guy but looking at one of these nasty devils (even in a photo) gave me the shivers...

No thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Which part of Austin will have the "least" amount of tree roaches and scorpions?-centipede.jpg  

Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
a giant redheaded Texas centipede.
I have to confess, of all the bugs around here, these are the only ones that give me the shivers. We had one in our house when I was a child - it ran out of potted plant drain hole and into the room, and I jumped up on a chair like a little lady in a Saturday morning cartoon. Saw one years later crawling across our ceiling. Both of these 'sightings' were in Georgetown, though, not Austin. My third (and last) sighting was in Kauai about 7 years ago.

They get huge, are fast as hell, and have a moderately toxic sting, although I have never been stung. The first one I saw ran under a pot rack and got stuck in cobwebs - yeah, for not dusting the cobwebs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin