Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,414 times

Advertisements

I am a single 41 year old woman moving to austin texas area. Not into the party life. Are there any small towns near Austin that are reasonably inexpensive to live. I would be renting. I am in the insurance field so any info on jobs would be appreciated. I have been with Nationwide insurance for 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

773 posts, read 1,262,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiegrl2 View Post
I am a single 41 year old woman moving to austin texas area. Not into the party life. Are there any small towns near Austin that are reasonably inexpensive to live. I would be renting. I am in the insurance field so any info on jobs would be appreciated. I have been with Nationwide insurance for 9 years.
How small is small?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM

neighborhoods but not out away from civilization lol. I like neighborhood living but not metro. Does that help? lol

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM

let me add to that...I don't mind driving 20 minutes to get to the mall but I would like a grocery store close to my neighborhood. Probably an apartment complex so I can have a pool. I've been reading about the hot summers...LOVE IT! I am originally from the north and let me say that a 6 month winter is BRUTAL! I'll take the heat as long as there is a way to cool off.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM

30 posts, read 93,515 times
Quote:
let me add to that...I don't mind driving 20 minutes to get to the mall but I would like a grocery store close to my neighborhood. Probably an apartment complex so I can have a pool. I've been reading about the hot summers...LOVE IT! I am originally from the north and let me say that a 6 month winter is BRUTAL! I'll take the heat as long as there is a way to cool off.
yeah, 6 month summers are also brutal. Think warm swimming pool in late-July.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM

773 posts, read 1,262,604 times
Quote:
neighborhoods but not out away from civilization lol. I like neighborhood living but not metro. Does that help? lol
A lot of people flock North of Austin. But as far as cozy little neighborhoods go, Oak Hill (South of Austin) gets my vote. It's really scenic and has a nice small town feel. But you're not too far away from Barton Creek Square (one of the bigger malls) and other Austin-ish stuff. I also like Manchaca (again, it's South of Austin). It feels more rural.

I dunno, I just think that South of Austin is prettier than North. Others will disagree.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,577,711 times
South AUstin is definitely much more interesting. It's also more expensive with the rents because of its popularity. If you want a smaller city you have options. Williamson County (Outer North Austin) has cute suburbs with little downtowns (Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park), but Williamson county can also be the conservative backlash to liberal Austin. IF that's your style, great.
Hays County (South of Austin) has the same small towns (booming with new neighborhoods), but is not as conservative as Williamson. You'll find some of the south austin moveouts (priced out or just pushed out by the increasing density) so it can be more liberal down there.

Most importantly, I would recommend living wherever you find a job. Within 10 miles would be ideal for dealing with Austin traffic. I had friends who would commute from far south to North Austin and spend an hour each way (driving maybe 18-20 miles). For me, anything over 20 minutes is a deal breaker. Austin doesn't have the huge swaths of hood like Houston or Dallas, so even working in a bad neighborhood, you should be able to find something nice and somewhat affordable within 5-7 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin