Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

80 posts, read 164,572 times

Advertisements

I am looking to build a home in a piece of land that we are about to close on and I am looking to find a good, trusted home builder.
The type of house we want to build is brick and/or frame, 3 bdrms, 2 bth 2 car garage for the least amount of money. Meaning, the least expensive.
We have contacted a builder and their lowest home price is around
$106,000. Does that seem like a good price? Anyone know of others, maybe less expensive?
As always, I appreciate opinions and reccomendations.
Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by maestro9; 03-15-2012 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
I am looking to build a home in a piece of land that we are about to close on and I am looking to find a good, trusted home builder.
The type of house we want to build is brick and/or frame, 3 bdrms, 2 bth 2 car garage for the least amount of money. Meaning, the least expensive.
We have contacted a builder and their lowest home price is around
$106,000. Does that seem like a good price? Anyone know of others, maybe less expensive?
As always, I appreciate opinions and reccomendations.
Thanks to all in advance.
I'd do this:

1) Pick a floorplan. Google search for "affordable home plans", etc., and find a basic salt box style house. There are websites that sell floorplans and have special sections for low budget homes.

2) Once you've picked the floorplan, get apples-to-apples bids for a few different builders.

A budget home might be able to be built for as low as $65 per sqft, but I think $80 per sqft would get you something reasonable decent. You want to make sure you don't build it too cheap, or it won't age well and you'll suffer more loss in resale value down the road than you save by building too cheap.

Steve

Make sure the bids are turnkey and include all the utility connections, permits, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,247 times
I know David Weekly does. Check out their website for a lot of info about the process. New Home Finder | Floor Plan Selector | David Weekley Homes - David Weekley Homes

I don't know anyone that used them, but I have seen them advertising "build on your lot" for years.

I have a friend that is building on his land in Hays County now. I can't recall the builder, but it is one of the commercial builders I had heard of and not a small private builder. If I can find out, I will post again.

If you are planning a construction loan, you might ask your lender for a recommended builder.

I agree on the turnkey comment. Keep in mind that plans from books or the internet have to get converted into build documents (blueprints, wiring, framing, plumbing drawings) so make sure that gets factored into your costs if you are going to pick a plan other than from the builder.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4 View Post
I know David Weekly does. Check out their website for a lot of info about the process. New Home Finder | Floor Plan Selector | David Weekley Homes - David Weekley Homes

I don't know anyone that used them, but I have seen them advertising "build on your lot" for years.

I have a friend that is building on his land in Hays County now. I can't recall the builder, but it is one of the commercial builders I had heard of and not a small private builder. If I can find out, I will post again.

If you are planning a construction loan, you might ask your lender for a recommended builder.

I agree on the turnkey comment. Keep in mind that plans from books or the internet have to get converted into build documents (blueprints, wiring, framing, plumbing drawings) so make sure that gets factored into your costs if you are going to pick a plan other than from the builder.
David Weekly makes a good product, but they are not on the low end of hte cost spectrum. They are pretty expensive.

Any home builder is willing to build on your lot. That's all custom builders. It's best to find a floor plan, like Steve said, and get bids. When choosing a home plan, try to get a square or rectangle shaped house, not one with multiple angles and corners. Also find one with the simplest roof line possible. After that, you control how much you spend by the materials and upgrades you choose from, as that can REALLY run up the budget.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Tilson Homes is another builder with floorplans you can modify and they are a local Texas builder, "build on your lot" type.

Had Tilson build my home in 1999. Picked out one of their floorplans and modified.
No complaints and would use them again.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Two family members built with David Weekly. Overall they are both very happy with their homes. Works best if you use/adapt one of their floor plans. Not bargain, but also not "premium."

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Two family members built with David Weekly. Overall they are both very happy with their homes. Works best if you use/adapt one of their floor plans. Not bargain, but also not "premium."
I have talked to sales people at both David Weekly and at Tilson, and they have both echoed the statements above. They WILL build one of your house plans, but the cost will be so great that you might as well just find someone else to build it. They prefer you to use their homeplans. They really don't consider using someone elses unless you REALLY insist, and then you will pay thru the nose for it.

Luckily both of them have websites that have all their homeplans on them. So you can look at them from home and go in prepared and not be worried about high pressure sales tactics

Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well if the OP is looking for least expensive then going with a homebuilder and their plans is the more viable way to go vs obtaining your own plans and finding a builder to build it. That usually runs into much bigger $$$$.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,247 times
A friend is using Tilson now and is very happy.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM

80 posts, read 164,572 times
Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.
I think I will, eventually let them use their own floor plans.
That way I know they know what they are doing, in theory.
I will also get maybe 3 different company prices and choose what I think is the best, pricewise and qualitywise.
Thanks again to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: