Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,914 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband, daughter and I moved to Austin from PA in January, and are currently renting at Monterone Canyon Creek on 620. We decided to rent for a year so we had time to research areas to buy. So far, we've had a hard time trying to narrow it down. As of now, we're trying to decide on Dripping Springs, NW Austin (Canyon Creek area where we are or Steiner Ranch), and Teravista in Round Rock. Yes, these areas are pretty far apart! We're having a hard time trying to figure out if it's better to go by location, or to get more house per dollar. Our price range is up to $350,000, and pretty much our only major criteria is good schools for our daughter. Commute times don't matter in our decision because we both work from home. Any advice on any of these areas? Any to avoid? We are so happy we made the move to Austin and have absolutely no regrets. Now, we just want to make sure we find the right neighborhood to settle in. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,410,545 times
Check out the Brushy Creek area Ranch @ Brushy Creek and Walsh Trails both have homes in the range and great schools - and the commutes are a bit easier.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,586,495 times
I live about 4 miles West of Teravista and I don't think it's a particularly good place to buy right now. What is appealing to you about Teravista?

My list of cons for Teravista are that they are now letting D.R. Horton sell new starter homes at $165K, it currently feeds into a very average High School in Stony Point (that could change in the future), and yes it's convenient to some shopping, but it lacks a nearby grocery store, and finally it has a high property tax rate (although it's similar to other neighborhoods in the Round Rock/Cedar Park areas).

There are many other places just a few miles West of Teravista that would be better in my opinion including Ranch at Brushy Creek as mentioned. I would definitely go drive through Avery Ranch and check out the Brushy Creek Trail area as well as there are many neighborhoods around there that will probably have what you're looking for.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

69 posts, read 142,614 times
I live in the Dripping Springs area and am very, very happy. There is plenty of housing within your price range. The schools are great as well. I would suggest taking a ride out here on a weekend to get a better idea of the area.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,914 times
@mark311 - We liked Teravista because it's a newer development and we can get a lot of house for our money. I did look on greatschools.org, and saw that Stony Point had the lowest rating out of high schools in the RRISD, but I didn't know if the reviews were exaggerated or not.

@Lunawink - We did take a ride through the area a few weekends ago. We really liked Belterra in particular. We also like the fact that all of the schools in the district were highly rated. It is an area we are definitely considering.

We've been through Ranch at Brushy Creek and Avery Ranch, too. Ranch at Brushy Creek is a possibility as well; I didn't care for Avery Ranch all that much.

We don't have anyone to turn to for advice down here, so I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,586,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJB View Post
@mark311 - We liked Teravista because it's a newer development and we can get a lot of house for our money.
In that case, you might want to look at Parkside at Mayfield Ranch as well. It feeds into Leander ISD with good schools and if your daughter is Elementary school aged, there is an exemplary Elementary school inside the neighborhood that she can walk to. It's just North of Williamson Country Regional Park off Sam Bass in that same general area. If I was looking for a newer development and had Elementary school aged kids, I would seriously consider it over Teravista.

Parkside at Mayfield Ranch

Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,836,058 times
Circle C is in between Dripipng Springs and SW Austin, in your price range, and has good schools, though since you didn't mention it I assume you had some reason for disqualifying it.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,866,501 times
Buying a house is not all about the biggest house for your money. Yes, it's sounds great, but always think of resale as well. You want to be in an area with a proven track record. Canyon Creek and Steiner both have proven track records of great sales. They are areas that people will always want to live.

Dripping Springs is neighborhood by neighborhood. Some hold their own while others don't. More shopping is coming, but right now, it's a drive to get to many stores at once.

Terravista is a little "out there". Yes, you get new and big for less, but overall, you'll have fewer buyers willing to be "that" far out of Austin, which hurts resale. Fewer buyers means less demand.

Schools are VERY important! Canyon Creek is highly rated Westwood. Steiner is the brand new (2 years now) Vandergriff, both exemplary rated. Part of Dripping is Travis County which is Exemplary rated Lake Travis schools.

Buying is much more than the house, but it's the lifestyle you're wanting.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,172,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Schools are VERY important! Canyon Creek is highly rated Westwood. Steiner is the brand new (2 years now) Vandergriff, both exemplary rated. Part of Dripping is Travis County which is Exemplary rated Lake Travis schools.

Be aware that only portions of canyon creek feed into westwood. This causes a bump in the valuation of those houses

Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

326 posts, read 825,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This is a really good point. There's a pretty big difference between Dripping Springs and NW Austin, for example. They all have their advantages/disadvantages. If you could articulate the 'vibe' of the place you would like to be, it would help. Also, in your price range, you can find lots of good schools.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin