Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM

75 posts, read 282,355 times

Advertisements

Where are the worst (or best) areas of Austin in terms of cedar allergies? I am aware that there are some fairly forested areas in various regions, and have been wondering if NW of the Arboretum is really that ideal of a location for renting, cedar allergies considered!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
Cedar allergies are bad statewide. There's no part of town that is immune to them.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
Where are the worst (or best) areas of Austin in terms of cedar allergies? I am aware that there are some fairly forested areas in various regions, and have been wondering if NW of the Arboretum is really that ideal of a location for renting, cedar allergies considered!

Thanks.
Kind of a funny post. Cedar allergies are bad all over Austin. It doesn't matter what area you are in! It's only Jan-end of Feb. It's not that bad! It ended early this year!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
NW of Arboretum will put you into a lot of cedar trees. Subdivisions that are not surrounded by greenbelts will have reduced exposure to cedar, and there are less of them East of Austin where farm land has been cleared. But I agree with the other post, there is no getting completely away from them in Austin.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM

178 posts, read 459,277 times
Pretty much all over Austin, but moving north and west of central Austin brings you closer to the heaviest cedar growth. Going in opposite direction might help some but we're a hundred miles SE of Austin now and it still has some sting.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,567,967 times
Worst Places in Austin for Cedar Allergies?

Outside!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 282,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
Pretty much all over Austin, but moving north and west of central Austin brings you closer to the heaviest cedar growth. Going in opposite direction might help some but we're a hundred miles SE of Austin now and it still has some sting.
Thank you.

I have noticed issues living just a tad south of Town Lake, as well, so perhaps that area is more allergenic. Not something I want to deal with if I can avoid it--I get the worst migraines. Central seems fine for me, as well as Hyde Park and NC, but I've never been higher up, so was merely curious.

CptnRn, I have heard that East Austin is not particularly safe, unless you're heading NE.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
Thank you.

I have noticed issues living just a tad south of Town Lake, as well, so perhaps that area is more allergenic. Not something I want to deal with if I can avoid it--I get the worst migraines. Central seems fine for me, as well as Hyde Park and NC, but I've never been higher up, so was merely curious.

CptnRn, I have heard that East Austin is not particularly safe, unless you're heading NE.
You did not ask what area was safe, you asked what are was best for cedar allergies. East and Southeast are better.

If you are going to continue living here you should go get allergy shots, they may not eliminate the symptoms but they will help minimize them. I recommend Dr. Robert Cook.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,328 times
When cedar pollen counts are high, there is no place in Austin to hide. You need to head east to Columbus or so to get away.

I use the KVUE website for daily counts. They have the best info. If you are still having issues, it's probably not cedar alone. Cedar pollen died down in early Feb. Go to KVUE website and look under the weather page.

As for what to do, I tried the allergy shot route, but the first step up caused me to have cedar fever in July (when I was getting shots), so I quit and said I would just deal with it during the winter.

In winter I use:

Flonase
antihistamine (OTC) with decongestant
Asteline
FloNase

The best remedy is a steroid shot in mid-December. They last about 6 weeks. My doctor will usually give me one if I have not had one in a year. He does not like to give more than one steroid shot a year. Since cedar is my only allergy, I usually go that route. Sometimes I forget and try to deal with it with the meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin