Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 35,035 times

Advertisements

Hello All: Thank you for your time and reading this post. Please reply as you feel necessary.

Here is my status:

I am a 25 year old African American male with a BFA in Graphic Design, trying to attend Univ. of Texas (my dream school) for Architecture or Design. I have been offered a job opportunity for a pay cut in Austin, TX and am wondering if it is worth the pay cut (from 45k to potentially 40k) to relocate?

Here is my situation:

I currently live outside of Washington DC, in Woodbridge, VA and lived in San Antonio, TX in 1992-1998 (moved when I was 11). I enjoy the DC area and the diversity but feel that my heart is in Texas. I understand that the COL is lower here and I would be able to live much closer to my job and have a substantially lower rent cost to pay (compared to a 1 bdrm costing 1200-1500 easily in DC).

Can anyone give me some sound advice? I've been offered the job and need to make a decision with in the coming weeks. What are your thoughts on the area and do you think it's worth leaving a place that I've become a recluse to. I want to be in an environment where I can go outdoors, explore and also be able to go out grab a drink and catch a live band in the city.

Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I'm surprised no one has responded. I think this could be a good move for you. But Austin is noticably different than NOVA or DC.

There have been many posts/threads here about diversity, tolerance, etc. My personal opinion, living in this area since the mid-80s, is that Austin is as tolerant as any educated person might reasonably expect. The demographics of Austin are well documented and there have been changes from 2000 to the 2010 census. Notably there has been some movement of African Americans to suburban areas. I think middle and upper income Black families want better public schools than they will find in areas of Austin with higher historically Black populations (such as East Austin).

I don't keep up with rent but I'd bet you can find a decent apartment with the lifestyle you want for less than you have to spend in Woodbridge. I think you'd likely have a diverse set of neighbors.

Lots to do here, indoors and out. Lots of music, cool food, relaxed and friendly people of all ages. It is hotter here, but I'm not convinced that NOVA with its humidity is any more comfortable in the summer. Do you have a car? You will probably want one here even if you can walk/bike to your job or school.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I had a BFA in Studio Arts when I moved to Austin in 1977 to get a Masters in Architecture at UT. They have a really good program and I have never regretted moving here. There are more architects per capita however in Austin then in any other Texas City, and the pay is lower, so you may have to move to get a good job when you graduate. I was fortunate in being able to network and get decent jobs in Austin so have stayed here and am now retired here.

The weather here is definitely more conducive to outdoor activities all year round. It has been wonderful the last few day, temperatures in the 70's. There are many nice days when I have been able to sail on Lake Travis during the winter months.

See this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/20186394-post53.html

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Austin: 94.8
Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Washington: 124.2

Median gross rent in 2009: $1,059. Washington
Median gross rent in 2009: $883. Austin

You can find decent three bedroom houses for rent here for $1,200.

[LEFT]Read more Demographics: https://www.city-data.com/city/Washin...#ixzz1kJJmpKjV

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin...#ixzz1kJJyM7co
[/LEFT]

Austin:

Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm surprised no one has responded. I think this could be a good move for you. But Austin is noticably different than NOVA or DC.

There have been many posts/threads here about diversity, tolerance, etc. My personal opinion, living in this area since the mid-80s, is that Austin is as tolerant as any educated person might reasonably expect. The demographics of Austin are well documented and there have been changes from 2000 to the 2010 census. Notably there has been some movement of African Americans to suburban areas. I think middle and upper income Black families want better public schools than they will find in areas of Austin with higher historically Black populations (such as East Austin).

I don't keep up with rent but I'd bet you can find a decent apartment with the lifestyle you want for less than you have to spend in Woodbridge. I think you'd likely have a diverse set of neighbors.

Lots to do here, indoors and out. Lots of music, cool food, relaxed and friendly people of all ages. It is hotter here, but I'm not convinced that NOVA with its humidity is any more comfortable in the summer. Do you have a car? You will probably want one here even if you can walk/bike to your job or school.
Thank you for your reply! I have recently been extended a second interview for a company right outside of Austin (in Round Rock) and am trying to figure out whether or not it is something I should consider or leave be.

Growing up in San Antonio, I was immune to the hot weather. I actually enjoyed it more than all of the seasons we have up here in DC. I enjoy the hot summers and fairly 'cool' winters. I am really trying to seek an environment change, ultimately.

I just flew down to Austin Wednesday and returned to DC on Saturday and suddenly realized, it's time for a change. I figure that DC will always be here. I want to see something different, as I have been here for almost 14 years. Can you think of any places that I might be able to stay in on the budget that I am alloted? Is 40K enough to live comfortably by my lonesome?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Thank you for the informative post! Do you believe that the area is good for education? I really want to attain my MArch from UT, if possible. However, I know that I need to attain residency first, which will take a year. I enjoy outdoor activities and love being out seeing and doing things. For a person that is by themselves, is 40K a lowball amount for someone that's 25 years old living in Austin (or the surrounding area -- NW Austin, preferably)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I had a BFA in Studio Arts when I moved to Austin in 1977 to get a Masters in Architecture at UT. They have a really good program and I have never regretted moving here. There are more architects per capita however in Austin then in any other Texas City, and the pay is lower, so you may have to move to get a good job when you graduate. I was fortunate in being able to network and get decent jobs in Austin so have stayed here and am now retired here.

The weather here is definitely more conducive to outdoor activities all year round. It has been wonderful the last few day, temperatures in the 70's. There are many nice days when I have been able to sail on Lake Travis during the winter months.

See this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/20186394-post53.html

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Austin: 94.8
Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Washington: 124.2

Median gross rent in 2009: $1,059. Washington
Median gross rent in 2009: $883. Austin

You can find decent three bedroom houses for rent here for $1,200.

[LEFT]Read more Demographics: https://www.city-data.com/city/Washin...#ixzz1kJJmpKjV

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin...#ixzz1kJJyM7co
[/LEFT]

Austin:

Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:

I didnt respond because my experience is anecdotal and negative. I think austin is a bad place for professional african americans who are into

1) dating professional african americans (the population is so low it is a pain)
2) who like to go to AA clubs

While I wont say there is massive discrimination, the #'s of african americans in high tech in austin is close to zero. People generally dont like to take a chance on different. If you speak differently, look differently etc, you are going to have issues.

If I was a single african american I personally would not live in austin.

I think the 40K salary is indicative of being taken advantage of. Salary.com is showing the median at 60K.

Like I said in the other post we pay people right out of school a minimum of 45K for doing just the product management side.

The fact that the OP got responses on his generic post that didnt mention that he was african american and none on this one is indicative of the reality that almost none of the CD readers can share experiences of experience with AA in austin.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I have been in the software business in Austin since I moved in here in the mid-1980s. It is true the "tech" businesses are not well represented by African Americans. But I don't think that is an Austin thing at all. Visit Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, or any other tech company and you will see mostly white or east Asian males in the technical side of the business.

But that doesn't mean professional blacks aren't successful or happy in Austin. I worked with a "fair number" including recruiting several to Austin from other states. And most I have known remain here after many years and raised their families here.

But I am not black, so I cannot say with any credibility exactly what it is like to live here as a young black professional person.

BTW - I'm not sure I trust salary.com. If the OP was earning $45K in DC, what does salary.com say he should be paid in DC?

For the OP - just in case you want a Texas alternative for architecture, you might consider Texas A&M. It is just behind UT in rankings, and has been a leader in computer applications and visualization.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:

BTW - I'm not sure I trust salary.com. If the OP was earning $45K in DC, what does salary.com say he should be paid in DC?
68K (2-4 years of exp)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM

483 posts, read 532,850 times
I moved to Austin from DC where I had spent most of my life almost 3 months ago now and for me it's been a great move. That being said, my situation is different from yours, although I too work in IT, I'm a few years older than you and I'm on the technical side of the business. I'm also white, while I don't feel like there is a lot of racial tension in Austin I'm in the majority here so it's hard for me to be truly objective about it. If you loved DC for all of it's "Chocolate City" aspects you won't find that, though I don't know how much of that you were experiencing in Woodbridge anyways.

On the money side 45k in VA to 40k here will probably equal out because of the no state income tax thing, and your quality of life in terms of traffic and things to do will go up. This city is much more compact than the DC area and if you're looking to go out and meet people you'll find tons of like minded folks in similar circumstances (new to town, etc) as you.

If DC is making you feel like a recluse, and it is funny because that is almost the exact feeling I had before I left it, come back home to Texas!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I moved to Austin from DC where I had spent most of my life almost 3 months ago now and for me it's been a great move. That being said, my situation is different from yours, although I too work in IT, I'm a few years older than you and I'm on the technical side of the business. I'm also white, while I don't feel like there is a lot of racial tension in Austin I'm in the majority here so it's hard for me to be truly objective about it. If you loved DC for all of it's "Chocolate City" aspects you won't find that, though I don't know how much of that you were experiencing in Woodbridge anyways.

On the money side 45k in VA to 40k here will probably equal out because of the no state income tax thing, and your quality of life in terms of traffic and things to do will go up. This city is much more compact than the DC area and if you're looking to go out and meet people you'll find tons of like minded folks in similar circumstances (new to town, etc) as you.

If DC is making you feel like a recluse, and it is funny because that is almost the exact feeling I had before I left it, come back home to Texas!
I would add that the OP is from san antonio so is reasonably familiar with that culture. If he is ok with san antonio he will prob be ok with austin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin