Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,580,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I'm also kind of wondering how you are underwater on your house in Steiner. Houses here have not really gone down in value in the last couple of years. Maybe if you bought in 2006 - 2007, but not just 2 years ago.
Unless the value has gone up about 6%, you're basically "underwater" if you want to walk away and break even. So if they paid $300K for their house in Steiner, they would need to sell it for at least $318K to cover all the realtors fees and anything else that would come up during the sale of the house. Of course they probably put money down so they might not owe that entire amount, but I would still consider it losing $20K in just a couple years no matter how much I owe on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times
Quote:
I'm also kind of wondering how you are underwater on your house in Steiner. Houses here have not really gone down in value in the last couple of years. Maybe if you bought in 2006 - 2007, but not just 2 years ago.
I know -- first hand -- several people who are underwater in Steiner, especially if you purchased in the newer sections during 2008 to present. One of the people I personally know who is underwater had to bring money to the table for a refinance. Probably the people who are not underwater are those who put a sizable downpayment and purchased in the older sections years ago, which were less expensive and therefore didn't go down in value that much.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM

I live in the "boonies" and I don't spend a lot of time in my car. Major shopping is literally minutes away, and is bikeable/walkable if it wasn't so damn hot. I don't want to live next to commercial developments anyway. I think the only reason we meander into town is to do the occasional Drafthouse (but now that we have Flix, I don't really do that anymore either), Children's Museum, Austin Zoo, etc. Other than that, we spend our days in the suburbs.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,076,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Unless the value has gone up about 6%, you're basically "underwater" if you want to walk away and break even.
Actually, 10% is a more accurate number to use. Most sellers, at closing, pay 8%-10% in total settlement statement costs. This time of year it's on the high end because property taxes are paid at closing for almost the entire year.

This doesn't include pre-sale prep costs such as painting, landscaping, de-cluttering, repairs and maintenance, etc.

So a buyer paying $300K for a house in 2007 still worth about $300K would clear net proceeds of about $270K with which to pay off the loan balance and keep the remainder. For people who wisely put down at least 20% downpayment, there is a 10% cushion even if the home value drops a bit. In that case, they may have "lost" some money on the buy/sell price differential, but they are not "upside down".

Steve

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Steve sort of cleared it up. When I think of upside down on a house, I think of someone who owes more than the home is worth. In order to be in that situation where she lives and when she bought, she would have to have financed more than 90% of the house. If that's the case, then it was a poor decision which probably should not be made worse by doing the same with another new house. Hope I am explaining myself.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Steve sort of cleared it up. When I think of upside down on a house, I think of someone who owes more than the home is worth. In order to be in that situation where she lives and when she bought, she would have to have financed more than 90% of the house. If that's the case, then it was a poor decision which probably should not be made worse by doing the same with another new house. Hope I am explaining myself.
The older sections of Steiner I think held their values moreso than the newer homes, which tend to be pricier. The 500-600K plus homes for at least two years haven't appraised at the amounts people have initially paid for them. I know of two who have fought TCAD trying to lower their appraisals based on this. I don't live in Steiner, so I can't comment really, but maybe there's a ceiling/cap?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM

105 posts, read 380,481 times
We paid just under 280k for our house in summer of 2010 (which did not seem unreasonable. All of the comps we were looking at were priced around that, and up to 300k). We put 10% down. The comps in my neighborhood are selling in the 230s. I recently had my TCAD value reappraised and they knocked 50k off their assessment.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM

152 posts, read 281,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonghorn2 View Post
We paid just under 280k for our house in summer of 2010 (which did not seem unreasonable. All of the comps we were looking at were priced around that, and up to 300k). We put 10% down. The comps in my neighborhood are selling in the 230s. I recently had my TCAD value reappraised and they knocked 50k off their assessment.
Sorry to hear that LL: Most people think property values should turn around here soon here, I sure hope so! If you think keeping the house is a good investment you may be able to benefit by refinancing, and with the new refi rules LTV should not be an issue.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,010,082 times
Quote:
Steve sort of cleared it up. When I think of upside down on a house, I think of someone who owes more than the home is worth.
That would make sense if "worth" wasn't relative.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
That would make sense if "worth" wasn't relative.
By worth, I mean market value - what they would actually sell the home for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin