Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,895,368 times

Advertisements

Has a lot to do with Austin.

Apple employs almost 3000 people here. The processor that became the A5/A6 which is in iPads and iPhones was designed here. The multi-billion dollar Samsung plant here makes chips for Apple; and that relationship is tenuous, since Samsung is suing Apple and vice versa. That lawsuit isn't affecting their huge supplier agreements yet, but who knows what could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Here's another little historical Apple-Austin tidbit:

When Apple allowed other companies to clone the Macintosh in the late 90's, the first and most successful Mac clone maker was located in Austin. Round Rock, actually:

Power Computing Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Power Computing was a big deal for a time. At one point they sold very well, perhaps even rivaling Apple's own shipments. That success (and subsequent wane of Apple) might have been one of the major reasons that Jobs killed Apple's clone licensing program when he was re-hired.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,908,855 times
I believe Steve Jobs was one of the true visionaries in this world. He had a knack for applying already invented but little known technologies to underserved niches. Think about prior to the iPod coming out, people were still using portable CD players with headsets and then Apple transformed that entire industry and made jogging while listening to music feasible and eliminated the need for large CD disk changers in the trunk (remember those large 20 CD disk changers that we used to have so we'd have a selection of CD's to pick from?) The iPhone was the next transformation, he basically transformed a cell phone, which we had only used to make calls and possibly some email into a portable PC.

I only wish that Apple had not fired Jobs in 1986, we may have gotten some of those innovations years earlier. As it was, Apple would have gone bankrupt had Jobs not stepped in and saved the company on his second and final tenure there.

I do respect what he's doing and plan to buy an iPhone 4S in his memory.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,117,546 times
UT has always been an "Apple School" with a Apple retail shop on campus back in the 1990s, you could buy NeXT computers here. When NeXT was focused on the educational market, UT was a key part of that.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
UT has always been an "Apple School" with a Apple retail shop on campus back in the 1990s, you could buy NeXT computers here. When NeXT was focused on the educational market, UT was a key part of that.
Yep, it was an Apple school all the way. When I was in the CS program long ago, we did everything on Macs -- the high-level programming languages, assembly (68000 Motorola series, which were in those Macs), etc. It was basically Macs on the small computer end and on the higher end we had the Sun servers/workstations. No PCs at all. Even my EE classes used circuit design/simulation software that ran on a Mac.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM

239 posts, read 518,509 times
Steve Jobs....RIP....*sigh*

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM

3,084 posts, read 3,271,655 times
The PowerPC chip that was used in Macs after the Mot 68K and before Intel x86 was originally designed here in Austin at Somerset, which was located by the Arboretum and staffed by Apple, Motorola and IBM engineers.

I believe that at some point UT had the largest number of Macs in use outside of Apple themselves.

As someone mentioned before, PowerComputing, a Mac clone maker was HQ'ed here (Round Rock).

Around town today, it's amazing just how diverse the demographics of folks who at the very least know of Steve. From school age kids at drop off, to folks at Barnes and Noble (young and old), to sports radio shows. It really shows how his influence really cuts across most traditional boundaries.

Last edited by austinnerd; 10-06-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,738,876 times
Of course, I'm sorry Steve's gone (or anyone who loses their fight with cancer). However, I don't use Apple products.

Yes, he oversaw the design of modern Apple products, but I didn't know the man personally. I never saw Steve Jobs as the man of man who wanted any undue attention. I'm not sure he'd like himself to be revered "hero-worshiped" for what? An iMac, iPad, iPhone? A founder/ leader at Apple Computer? Maybe. However, I'd think Steve would want to be remembered through his wife and four (4) children, his contributions and leadership at Apple, and leave it at that. So, I think I shall.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,320 times
I'm not a devoted Apple user, but I have great respect for Steve Jobs as a business man. He knew how to make people want something even if it wasn't the best product on the market. The iPhone revolutionized modern cell phones and Apple does make great consumer products. I'm not a fan of Apple products in corporate environments.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM

239 posts, read 518,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Steve Jobs....RIP....*sigh*

Yes, still surprised that no one started a tribute thread immediately since Austin is the new (self described) tech center of the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin