Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times

Advertisements

I'm used to having lot's of iron build up in the water and pipes. Not so here! What I discovered in this area is kind of a grey/white film that doesn't go away. The ring in the toilet is grey and won't scrub off. Even if I wash the car by hand there is a film on the windows that sticks. I know this is a weird question but what is that stuff and how do I deal with it? (I haven't washed the car in ages so don't call the water police)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
Calcium and magnesium salts from hard water will leave residue on your sinks, pipes, etc.. Various 'lime' removal products work, but they need to be a bit acidic. Long-term, you can get a water softener (plenty of 'advice' on here for that ).

Not sure about on your car, that would not typically be the hard water, but not sure.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM

732 posts, read 2,127,542 times
I use CLR and it seems to do a good job.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
You are seeing normal "hard water" deposits. Adding a water softener is the best way to deal with it. If you choose not to - over time you will see buildup on any fixtures that water passes through.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Magnesium salts and calcium, thanks trainwreck. I'll look that up. We have a water softener but still the build up. I'll try the CLR too. As an aside...I like the water here. And even though it's been hell trying to get acclimated to the heat I have to say our overall health, (family) has been much, much better here. Yay! *knock on wood

I might be on the verge of saying I like it here.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 10-05-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Magnesium salts and calcium, thanks trainwreck. I'll look that up. We have a water softener but still the build up. I'll try the CLR too. As an aside...I like the water here. And even though it's been hell trying to get acclimated to the heat I have to say our overall health, (family) has been much, much better here. Yay! *knock on wood

I might be on the verge of saying I like it here.
Maybe your softener is set incorrectly.....

Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Good idea to check. We also switched to potassium chloride as our 'salt'. A little pricey, but perhaps a touch better if you have sodium sensitivities.

Before we added the water softener, we couldn't even polish a near dry water spot from our glass shower walls. Now, I can just squeegee and the glass is nearly spotless.

You might try vinegar as a rinse agent for your windows...I believe that is basically what the pros use. Otherwise, just dry the heck out of any glass that gets wet and you 'might' eliminate the film. Any water droplets that dry on a shiny surface will look pretty nasty, especially if you have the amount of limestone dust in the air that we have. The vehicles suffer from the dust in the air as well as the 'rocks' in the water.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yes, that is possible. However, why is it the dam thing seems overly complicated? I'm intimated by the water softener apparatus.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,569,520 times
Quote:
Yes, that is possible. However, why is it the dam thing seems overly complicated? I'm intimated by the water softener apparatus.
I can't help with that one...ours runs on autopilot and 'tells' us what it needs. Reminds me, it's been a couple of years since a tech has taken a look at ours. Wouldn't hurt to have a check-up, I reckon.

I'll bet you could find some message boards/tech advice on your particular unit. The manufacturer likely wants a happy customer and might have some trouble-shooting info on their site.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Ours is very simple. Other than filling it with salt periodically, it needs no attention. I had a test done, and it said I needed to set the softener for 25 "grains per gallon."

One of our outside faucets is plumbed for soft water. I use that to wash cars with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: