Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM

18 posts, read 90,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX transplant View Post
We are currently looking at placing our child in a public school because of all these crazy costs primarily.
If there was an affordable, secular private (or charter) school in the area, I would jump on it in a second. But until then, we'll have to make do

I would love to see someone offer a part time (afterschool, etc.) foreign language immersion program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

79 posts, read 231,330 times
Quick update:

We are in the midst of a feud with the Austin International School at present who failed for the 3rd time to call us or file an incident report after our child was hurt or sick. They are claiming our child did not complain, therefore deny any responsability, by the exchanges we are having.

Two toddlers made it out of the school during recess through a whole in the fence. Where were the teachers? Obviously too busy to pay attention. The school is located at the busy corner of Oak Knoll and 183 and no one noticed the two kids gone until an employee from one of the neighboring businesses brought them back!

Security and health/hygience are a major issues right now there. Not looking to scare anyone off but definitely not worth any child's life.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM

14 posts, read 61,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX transplant View Post
Quick update:

We are in the midst of a feud with the Austin International School at present who failed for the 3rd time to call us or file an incident report after our child was hurt or sick. They are claiming our child did not complain, therefore deny any responsability, by the exchanges we are having.

Two toddlers made it out of the school during recess through a whole in the fence. Where were the teachers? Obviously too busy to pay attention. The school is located at the busy corner of Oak Knoll and 183 and no one noticed the two kids gone until an employee from one of the neighboring businesses brought them back!

Security and health/hygience are a major issues right now there. Not looking to scare anyone off but definitely not worth any child's life.

Yikes! Thanks for letting us know about this. Is this the International Montessori School by chance? I am considering that school for my son and would cross them off my list if it is the same school you are referring to.
Thanks Again!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 PM

79 posts, read 231,330 times
There are currently two French schools in the area. The Austin Int'l School and La Petite Ecole, a French Montessori school.

I have heard nothing but good things about the latter. The former is the one I have problems with. The school you are are referring to 6thGenAustinite is different than the two above.

We have decided to take our child out of the Austin Int'l School. Far too many unreported incidents and a complete disregard for what the parents have to say is where I draw the line. I get this sense that we ought to explain ourselves to them rather than the opposite. I just recently had a meeting with the school's director and felt as though I had been called to the principal's office.

I am a French citizen, born and raised, and aside from the obvious safety and health concerns currently existing in the school, I also am at loss with regard to their curriculum. The little ones don't seem to be doing anything different from what they would do at home (glueing, drawing, etc.). We do get binders to follow up with what they are up to every two weeks and they are rather thin since school started in September. I'm not expecting a 3 y.o. to know Algebra but nonetheless. I also have a niece in the same agre group as my child currently attending school in France which allows me to notice things aren't quite what the school claims them to be. I had suggested a while back activities such as show & tell but was obviously ignored since no one even bothered answering my email.

Our daughter will be going back to her former school where they do have such activities as Bring-Your-Bike day, splash days, show & tell, etc. for a fraction of the cost and with better security and hygiene measures but also a positive exchange. I have decided to keep up with her learning French myself but for those of you who are adamant about your child learning French, please don't omit French tutors who would charge you far less for bigger results.

I do believe the school could be so much more and I personally think the world of the teachers. My issues come from the Director's approach to it all which is very defensive, and perhaps his lack of organization. Other parents have told me the same about the school's board which rejects most ideas unless one is willing to volunteer for them. The school seems to have taken on more than it can chew - it has expanded too fast and is busting at the seams at present.

When an organization isn't doing so well, one can't help but look at its executives and wonder.

Last edited by TX transplant; 04-22-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,916 times
This was helpful.

To the OP, I can relate to your desire to have this answered.

I can appreciate religious elements of school, but that would not be the impetus for choosing private school.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 13,031 times
Default What about Kirby/Waldorf?

I will possibly be moving to Austin in January. I'm having a hard time comparing private schools. Does anybody have any info about Waldorf and Kirby? My kids will be in 1st and 5th grade.
Thanks

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy-CA View Post
I will possibly be moving to Austin in January. I'm having a hard time comparing private schools. Does anybody have any info about Waldorf and Kirby? My kids will be in 1st and 5th grade.
Thanks
Um, all I've read on CD and heard 'from the grapevine' says to stay away from KHS. It's not run very professionally, which I can imagine would make it very frustrating to send my kids there. Waldorf, on the other hand, has a very loyal fan base and seems to be well administered. The school's philosophy, however, isn't for everyone. Research the Waldorf method.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,588 times
Default Sri Atmananda Memorial School -- worth checking out

I agree with the poster who discussed Waldorf that the choice of a top school greatly depends upon the needs of the child.

My daughter attends Sri Atmandanda ([url=http://www.samschool.org][/url]) here in Austin, and we are very happy with the school. It also would be good for some families and kids, but maybe not for everyone. The school now accepts high school students (it's first graduating class was in 2007).

The school focuses on creating self-motivation for learning as opposed to "sit at a desk and learn this stuff." They have a very low 4:1 student-teacher ratio, which allows for students to pursue individual and group interests in a very in-depth way. For example, if one kid really likes art (and has less interest in other subjects), the teachers find creative ways to bring the other subjects into that interest. Math could be brought in by talking about the proportions in the great works of the Renaissance. Social Studies can be brought in by talking about the Renassiance and what was going on at that time that influenced the art. Science could be brought in by talking about people like Leonardo da Vinci who were artists and scientists. Because of the low ratio, students are tracked and they do make sure that each student is learning all the skills that they need to be learning (although it may be on a different pace than public or other private schools as some kids may pursue one subject to the extreme and be very advanced in that area, and later catch up in other areas). This is learning that goes deep because the kids are truly invested in their own education.

As someone who attended Austin High in the 80s/90s and had three siblings who also went there, I will say it is a great school education-wise. We had some amazing teachers there, and they likely still do. The parents over there are very vigilant. Although I will say that both Austin High and Westlake can be damaging mentally because of the social stuff that goes on there. Tons of cliques, flagrant displays of wealth and a lot of segregation between races as well as divisions between those with and without wealth. And the recent news about Westlake students having terrible alcohol and drug abuse rates would prevent me from sending my kids there -- see [url=http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=8350269]KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | Westlake students' drug use higher than U.S. average[/url]. To quote: "More than half of seniors admitted to having a drink of alcohol once a month. Almost as many said they have smoked marijuana in the past year, with close to 30 percent doing it at least once a month."

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,126,008 times
St. Francis School is an excellent independent school. It has no denominational affliation or church support. It welcomes students and parents of all faiths (many Hindu and Jewish families as well as those who do not believe).

It is about the closest thing Austin has to an independent, non-sectarian school for preK-8th grade.

Small classes, great teachers, excellent art and music program, and athletics too.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
So, does St. Francis no longer have chapel every Friday that students are required to attend, and prayers ever morning?

(My daughter attended St. Francis many years ago.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin